Receiving calls from home in cabin

ilovetotravel1977

So I read that you can get calls from home to your cabin.

http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-cellular-phone-service-texting

Does it cost us cruisers anything, or just the caller from home?

I know when I go to an all inclusive, my family can call the hotel directly and it's not very expensive at all. But if I were to make the call to them, it would be pricey.

Any pay phone system in the port terminals, on the streets, there will be a few around in the tourists area's if you can't find just ask a police officer, respectable local or local customs/ security person at the port.

Make sure you have the correct card as not all calling cards are equal. I'm from Canada so I can't give you advice but your local telephone supplier should be able to help or hopefully some one here can chime in.

Edited by Ilovesailing

Of course, if they call your cabin, and you are not there - wasted call. Then they leave a message, and people worry if there is something wrong.

We just take our cell phones with us. $2.49 a minute. No special dialing or rules.

As to calling card - make sure it works in the port you are in. Different countries, different rules.

Texting is a great way to go. Many carriers are just 5 cents per text to receive while at sea and 50 cents to send and it works all the while you have the ships service at sea and in many countries at that rate. So if someone has to talk to you have them text you then u turn around and call them at $1.99 a minute from your room phone would be my suggestion.

I purchased a world phone and international sim card online for about $50 and you just prepay minutes. It will work pretty much anywhere in the world and on the ship though the ship at seas rates are the highest. I'll be using it on my Panama canal cruise next week. Like people have said texts on the phone are by far the cheapest way to communicate. Incoming calls are considerably cheaper than outgoing so I'll just text someone to call me if I need to talk to them.