Rotterdam to Amsterdam by train for the day?

dalgirl

We will be in Rotterdam for one day on a Saturday (8am -5pm) and as I have always wanted to see Amsterdam, I wonder if it is be possible to take a train or other transportation for a DYI day? I haven't found a lot of private tours for this port.

Thanks for your input!

That should be no problem. As you can see on this website there are frequent trains between Rotterdam Centraal and Amsterdam Centraal.

To get to Rotterdam Centraal you can take the subway (metro) at the white Erasmusbridge to Centraal.

http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

http://www.ns.nl/reisplanner-v2/index.shtml

Opposite Amsterdam Centraal you can make a 1 hr. canal cruise. Also Anne Frankhuis is not that far from the station. If you plan to visit that absolutely make online reservations in time to skip the often long lines.

Thank you for the information. How far is the metro from the cruise terminal? I assume we can get a taxi to both stations?

Also, I will want to visit the Rijksmuseum. I think all three - the canal cruise, museum and Anne Frank house can be completed in my timeframe? I plan to get a return ticket in Copenhagen for around 3pm (15:00) to have plenty of time to return to the ship. Would you suggest seeing anything else during this visit?

Thank you for the information. How far is the metro from the cruise terminal? I assume we can get a taxi to both stations?

Also, I will want to visit the Rijksmuseum. I think all three - the canal cruise, museum and Anne Frank house can be completed in my timeframe? I plan to get a return ticket in Copenhagen for around 3pm (15:00) to have plenty of time to return to the ship. Would you suggest seeing anything else during this visit?

The metro station is walking distance, just a few minutes, from the cruise terminal, at the bottom of the big white bridge where your ship will dock.

Also make reservations for Rijksmuseum if you want to go there, but try reservations for Anne Frank first, that sells out the quickest. It takes about 1 hour inside if you want to see various videos and information.

Yes taxis will be available, but the distance in Rotterdam is too short, just walk.

In Amsterdam either a cab or walk from CS or take tramnr 13, get off at Westerkerk, just a short distance to Anne Frankhuis.

To get from there to Rijksmuseum, take busnr. 170 from Westermarkt to Rijksmuseum (just a short walk again to the museum from the stop)

To get back to CS you can take a cab or take tramnr. 5, 16 or 25 all leaving near from Museumplein to CS. Please check the right directions, as trams go 2 ways.

Once at CS if you still have time, make the canalcruise for about 1 hour.

I donot think you will have much time left. But of course you can always walk along the canals if you want.

This is the website for public transport in Amsterdam: http://www.gvb.nl/reisinformatie/plattegronden/Pages/Lijnennetkaart.aspx

and http://en.gvb.nl/pages/home.aspx

On this map http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

you will find CS on B4, AF house on B3, Rijksmuseum on C3.

Thanks so much for this information. Very helpful. I am also considering a private tour company if it will maximize our time. I will pull up the maps and decide.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for this information. Very helpful. I am also considering a private tour company if it will maximize our time. I will pull up the maps and decide.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Be aware that on the return the highway to Rotterdam sometimes has traffic problems. But a good driver will know about that, so he might need some extra time.

I am seriously considering a DIY. The tour is expensive and with 2 weeks in Europe and how easy it sounds to get around we will be better served on the train. Any more tips or suggestions ?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Forums mobile app

I am seriously considering a DIY. The tour is expensive and with 2 weeks in Europe and how easy it sounds to get around we will be better served on the train. Any more tips or suggestions ?

You will see that public transport is frequent and easy to do.

As your trainticket Rotterdam to Amsterdam (take dayreturn) is also valid for stops in between, in case you still have some time, maybe you can also pay a quick visit to e.g. Leiden or Delft. Both also charming cities but smaller then Amsterdam.

That sounds good also. We definitely are going to the museum and Anne Frank house. Would you forego the canal tour for delft?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Difficult to give the right answer. Both are nice. I always like Amsterdam even better from the water then walking.

Delft is charming too, I would say make the decision once you are there.

By the way, do you know you can find various movies about Delft in youtube?

One is here:

and of course also about Amsterdam, like this one

Make sure you purchase tickets ahead of time online for the Anne Frank House. If you don't, forget it as the waits are two hours long. The experience in the house is 60 minutes. A canal ride is also about an hour. The museum is not overwhelming. There are very good tours available to provide nice background on the masterpieces and museum highlights. If you come up with a good logistical plan, you will have a great day. I do think you may feel rushed though.

My mother expressed an interest in the Van Gough museum. I may map out both museums to see which would be the easiest to visit . Again , thank you for your help with planning our visit ,

My mother expressed an interest in the Van Gough museum. I may map out both museums to see which would be the easiest to visit . Again , thank you for your help with planning our visit ,

Rijksmuseum and van Gogh are more or less neighbours.