Klfhngr's story: I missed the boat in Nassau!

• 1 month later...

Big take-aways from this story:  

- If your ship's going to sail at 4:30, you should plan to walk up the gangplank at 2:30.  Not start packing your things up and start back, but be at the ship two hours ahead of time.  Time can help a lot of problems.

- Have some cash and a credit card -- money can help a lot of problems. 

- Let other families do what they're going to do, but don't allow your own family to split up on the islands.  Having everyone in one place can help a lot of problems. 

- Have a plan for "if things go wrong" -- like a meeting place -- that doesn't rely upon cell phones, which can fail you.

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

@klfhngr - I totally appreciate learning from your story as I read this one year after the last post here. 🙂  I feel vindicated now for being the "bullhorn" that gets my spouse/ kids/ friends back at the gangplank least one hour before sail away. Had a pretty close call in Cozumel this January, arriving just under 30 mins before departure time (underestimated how long my short legs needed to walk from the International Cruise Terminal building to the ship! Ugh. Yes, yes, I know it isn't far for many readers). Celebrity crew members were packing up their Welcome-back-here's-a-cold-wet-towel-and-cold-water tent by the time I got to the ship. Too close for my comfort. 😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On our last cruise in 2018, it was my son (20's), my grandson (5), his mother my daughter (35), and me (mature grandmother). My son left us to go get a souvenir for his GF back home. He became a dock runner at Cozomel I believe. I had already discussed what we'd do if he didn't make it back. I would leave daughter and her son on board the ship and I would disembark again to wait with and for son, since I could speak Spanish and he could not. I was going to take our passports and some cash and just go out on the pier and wait for him and then we'd try to catch up with the ship at the next port. Luckily he got a taxi back to the pier and RACED to the ship via golf cart and made it, with all the passengers cheering and whooping as he raced back. He did make it, but we had a scary 30 minutes before he made it back. I've never looked but I'm sure theres a video of him on YouTube somewhere as a dock runner!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I haven't missed another ship since the 'Trauma in the Bahamas' cruise, lol! Been on about 4 since then, and one more in May. They were on Royal, Carnival, Celebrity, Royal and the upcoming on Royal. 

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...