Summer 2016

I guessing at the moment those named generically like main dining room and lounge will have a name eventually. :confused:

Show lounge looks quite small in comparison to the size of the ship.

Hmm.... That's something to be aware of....... in our experience larger ships don't necessarily have proportionally larger theatres to accommodate the bigger passenger number.

There's quite a debate on P&O regarding the theatre size on the new Britannia. With two shows per night it can accommodate just under 50% of the passengers. No big deal if you're not too bothered about shows but it does provide the main entertainment for many in the evening. How frustrating then if you can't get in. Of course there are other entertainment venues but you can't assume passengers will spread evenly across them all.

This is an issue with bigger ships imo - the total public spaces don't grow in relation to increased decks/cabins. Of course there are other compensations like more choice of dining/entertainment venues, activities and bars and of course with more balconies that should provide some additional sitting out space for some to take the pressure off deck space (if it works like that and is warm enough to sit out or you're on the sunny side!)

I actually like other ships I've been on of around the size of the Discovery - they're just that bit bigger to give more variety of areas but still have a decent ratio of public space to passengers.

It wasn't something I'd considered before going on a bigger ship (just assumed everything like the theatre etc would be scaled up proportionally) but that hasn't been the case and I certainly now think about such things in weighing up the pros and cons.

I hope the benefits which come from a bit larger ship like the Discovery works well for passengers - it will be interesting to hear folk's views in due course. It's a size in principle I like but I've not been on a ship which has the attractions like Discovery - will that have a noticeable effect on other available space?

Of course it's horses for courses and what suits one won't be important to someone else (or what would be an issue for one won't matter to another) but it's definitely worth reading about these things as it helps in being better informed so that you know what to expect.

I've been reading the new brochure and on the ships comparison page it gives the capacity of the show lounges, and with two shows 472 people would not get a seat on Discovery. On Spirit, Dream, and Celebration there are enough seats for everyone on the ship. In my experience the lounges are always full for the shows. Also it isn't theatre seating so you probably won't be able to see from half of the seats anyway. I think this will be a problem. You'll probably have to reserve your seat after lunch rather than dinner!:eek:

Majesty hasn't got full capacity either but they don't do shows and I haven't sailed on her so I can't comment.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been reading the new brochure and on the ships comparison page it gives the capacity of the show lounges, and with two shows 472 people would not get a seat on Discovery. On Spirit, Dream, and Celebration there are enough seats for everyone on the ship. In my experience the lounges are always full for the shows. Also it isn't theatre seating so you probably won't be able to see from half of the seats anyway. I think this will be a problem. You'll probably have to reserve your seat after lunch rather than dinner!:eek:

Majesty hasn't got full capacity either but they don't do shows and I haven't sailed on her so I can't comment.

Majesty has a show team and does many of the same shows that the other ships do, albeit scaled down!

Also, the theatre on the Splendour has EXCELLENT sight lines with not one pillar in the entire room. Every seat has 100% view of the stage... And it also has theatre seating, like the front section of the Dream's theatre, not lounge seating like you seeing older ships. Where are you getting your facts from? Royal Caribbean have successfully run the ship with 2 shows a night for 20 years, so I can't see it being a big issue unless they're adding 200 extra cabins. Which they're not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Majesty has a show team and does many of the same shows that the other ships do, albeit scaled down!

Also, the theatre on the Splendour has EXCELLENT sight lines with not one pillar in the entire room. Every seat has 100% view of the stage... And it also has theatre seating, like the front section of the Dream's theatre, not lounge seating like you seeing older ships. Where are you getting your facts from? Royal Caribbean have successfully run the ship with 2 shows a night for 20 years, so I can't see it being a big issue unless they're adding 200 extra cabins. Which they're not.

some idiot at Thomson drew show lounge seating on the deck plan rather than theatre seating :rolleyes:

ps - entertainment venues should be sufficient if they are used!. P&O for example have plenty of venues but don't seem to want to spend the money on the acts, at the same time their show teams do a lot less work than the Thomson ones.

Edited by davecttr

Also, the theatre on the Splendour has EXCELLENT sight lines with not one pillar in the entire room. Every seat has 100% view of the stage... And it also has theatre seating, like the front section of the Dream's theatre, not lounge seating like you seeing older shipsts. ur fac from? Royal Caribbean have successfully run the ship with 2 shows a night Where are you getting yofor 20 years, so I can't see it being a big issue unless they're adding 200 extra cabins. Which they're not.

As Dave says, from the brochure.

If Thomson print incorrect information they can expect customers who read it to get the wrong message.