Footwear swimming Vanuata.

eurorivers2

Hello,

Can some please help.

We have booked a cruise to the south sea islands including Vanuata, New caledonia, Fiji etc.

Just wondering if we need to wear protective footwear on the beach or before we enter the water example coral present.

Regards Joy Steve.

Hi there,

We visited Mystery Island, Noumea & Isle of Pines recently.

Noumea we didn't need 'reef' type shoes, mystery island we did and isle of pines only if you were snorkeling.

A lot of the beaches had sharp broken shells all over the sand so I'd definitely recommend always having them for children if there are any traveling with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, Joy,

Our stops in Fiji were cancelled due to weather, consequently we visited pretty-well every cruise ship stop in Vanuatu & NC.

Pinknotes' memory of each place is waaay better than mine, but yes there were several places where we wished we'd brought shoes.

Snorkelling is excellent in most places, but wading in and out we often had to tread very gingerly due to crushed coral/shells along the water-line. OK on the beaches, generally OK in the water, just that strip along the water-line.

Also found out that flip-flops (thongs) fall apart if exposed to too much salt water. :rolleyes:

Beautiful part of the world, but we were soooo glad we'd taken snorkelling gear - the only place we had a day's-worth of sight-seeing was Noumea - interesting self-guided walking tour including town museum & kanak cultural museum, details from tourist info office in the main square.

On the island of Wero (Isle of Pines stop) a van tour which included an eerie ruined & overgrown French penal colony plus a limestone gorge / cave.

On Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu, a taxi or tour to Million Dollar Point where masses of US military equipment was bulldozed into the sea - though for reasons I won't bore you with we didn't go there.

Vanuatu & NC are mainly lazy beach & snorkelling days.

JB :)

We are on the North Carolina coast and wear water shoes because the sand is so hot you just can't walk to the water! On cruises I put them in my suitcase in case I need closed toe shoes for something (Climbing walls, rope courses, ship's tour, etc.). I wear sandals during the day on the ship or in ports.