Eleuthera and Princess Cay

ljandiernp

Hi, I am interested in knowing something about Eleuthera Island. We will be there in early December on the Regal Princess. Although this is known as "Princess's island" Eleuthera is actually a Bahaman island in it's own right and there is more on the island than Princess Cay. I am wondering if anyone has heard of tour guides from Eleuthera offering competitive options to the Princess tours that are offered through the ship, just as occurs on any other island in the Caribbean? I'm sure it is only matter of time before this happens although perhaps Princess will be better able to control this since they control the arrival and departure point on the island via the gate to the cay. Just curious. ;) Laurie

Unlikely as Eleuthera has fewer than ten thousand people on an island over 100 miles long. It is very undeveloped compared to New Providence, where Nassau is located.

Actually I have discovered at least one that picks up cruise passengers at Princess Cay since I posted this: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147428-d2091102-Reviews-Eleuthera_Tours-Eleuthera_Out_Islands_Bahamas.html It is as I expected, starting to develop a competitive market. One guide is a start... Laurie

Eleuthera Tours does a great job. We went with them in August to Lighthouse Beach. It was a great way to leave the crowds and spend the day in a private Paradise.

Thanks for sharing your experience with them. How did you meet them after your arrival on Princess Cay? Recently the company mentioned that they had some issues with their transportation, and there was someone who posted on the Trip Advisor site that they didn't feel that they were offered an adequate lunch option if they didn't like the conch. I can see this two ways, one is if you aren't adventurous or don't like seafood they you should not rely on the offering for your lunch and should pack out from the ship. On the other hand if you pay a lot of your hard-earned money to go on an excursion then you should have at least a choice between two options. So what was your transportation and lunch experience like? Since there is only a nominal (maybe $5.00) difference between their excursion and the one I am considering through Princess, I am weighing the options. In general I prefer to assist the local economy whenever I can. thanks for your input, Laurie

We had a group of 10 and most of us had never tried Conch before. I did try it and liked it as something different. They did cook up a nice rice dish separately that anyone who didn't like the taste of Conch could enjoy without the Conch taste in it. The day before we came, their transportation was in a crash (by a family member not during a tour). They picked us up in 2 cars. We have a couple people who don't travel the rough roads of some of the islands very well - They had no trouble with this ride. It is bumpy and not well cared for roads but it is less than 4 miles and although slow (took about 20 minutes), the ride was not a problem and the results were well worth it. We met Kristel when we got off the tender. The gate to get out of Princess Cay is right behind some buildings (wouldn't know it was there if not looking). We came back in time to see the massive crowds of Princess Cay. Lighthouse Beach is amazing. We had the place to ourselves most of the day. There was a princess tour that came through and only stayed about 15 minutes. The water and views are gorgeous! Definitely Paradise!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking at Eleuthera Tours' Lighthouse Beach tour as well. It just seems a little too expensive unfortunately.... $90 for transportation and lunch at the beach. Am I missing something else that they provide? I love the idea of a beautiful quiet beach day for sure! :)

Edited by canadarocks

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am the OP, but I did not tour with them when we were there in December. We were traveling with a specific group of people who had events scheduled on the morning we were at Princess Cay (Eleuthera) and so I didn't book a tour with the limited time I had left in the day. I went in to have a short day in the sun and snorkeled with my own gear. Laurie

Hi, I am the OP, but I did not tour with them when we were there in December. We were traveling with a specific group of people who had events scheduled on the morning we were at Princess Cay (Eleuthera) and so I didn't book a tour with the limited time I had left in the day. I went in to have a short day in the sun and snorkeled with my own gear. Laurie

Thanks so much for re-posting and letting us know. Did you enjoy your day? :)

Thanks so much for re-posting and letting us know. Did you enjoy your day? :)

I did, but there is nothing not to like about being in the Caribbean sunshine in the winter! There is pretty good snorkeling right off the beach and if you go early or go late you avoid the crowds that can develop. People also feed the fish, which I don't care for but what can you do? I am fighting the tide there! :rolleyes: If you like to snorkel and if you do it pretty well (don't need to be able to stand on the bottom for the duration of the snorkel) the ship's snorkel trip was worth doing at least once, because they take you a short distance down the island by boat to an area unspoiled and uncrowded. The day I did this there was a bit of chop to the water so it was not the best visibility but I still saw a good variety of fish. On a day of calm water it would be great. Hope you have a wonderful cruise! Laurie