Maho beach/the planes/the time

Mrs.Igggy

We have been to St. Martin several times and haven't seen the planes land yet. My main goal this trip is to see some planes land.

There will be 14K PAX in the port the day we are there in December. It appears that the large planes land around 2-2:30ish. My concern is getting back to port in time after watching the planes.

What would be the best time to go and return by taxi? I understand the traffic is horrible, can't miss the boat!!! Has anyone done this? What is the best way to do this???

Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Suzi

We have been to St. Martin several times and haven't seen the planes land yet. My main goal this trip is to see some planes land.

There will be 14K PAX in the port the day we are there in December. It appears that the large planes land around 2-2:30ish. My concern is getting back to port in time after watching the planes.

What would be the best time to go and return by taxi? I understand the traffic is horrible, can't miss the boat!!! Has anyone done this? What is the best way to do this???

Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Suzi

I'm contemplating the same questions for January... Anxious to read some advice!

Yeah, just use the search function, there are literally dozens of threads concerning Maho Beach. When do you have to be back in port anyway ?

Just to be on the safe side, I would count at least with 60 min. Taxis are always and plenty available.

My advice is to be there BY noon. We have always seen the really big planes come in around there (the huge KLM plane is a definite "do not miss").

(The following is not my picture, but a picture I found of the plane I'm referring to)

plane-landing-maho-beach-11.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

It appears that 3 big jets land between 12:40 and 1:30. Questions on time as follows:

1. How long is the taxi ride from the port to Maho beach? This will determine when to get a taxi to be there for the planes.

2. Is the time from the beach to the port significantly longer at say 2 PM?

3. Are you aware of anyone not getting back to the port in time for departure trying to get back from Maho?

Thanks in advance.

It appears that 3 big jets land between 12:40 and 1:30. Questions on time as follows:

1. How long is the taxi ride from the port to Maho beach? This will determine when to get a taxi to be there for the planes.

3. Are you aware of anyone not getting back to the port in time for departure trying to get back from Maho?

Thanks in advance.

1. Taxi ride will depend on traffic. It's about a 30-40 minute ride.

2. It can be. Again it depends on traffic and if you get stopped at a bridge that opens along the way. It took us only about 50 minutes at 3:00 pm last time, but we didn't have too much traffic and didn't hit the bridge. I've heard of others that have been in their taxi for 2 hrs.

3. Yes, it happens. Give yourself plenty of time. What time is your all-aboard?

Thanks in advance.

Traffic is better since the new causeway bridge has been in operation. I think 2 or even 2:30 is a great time to head back. You should see plenty of planes from 12-2 ish and you will beat the 3 o'clock bridge opening and should have time to stop in town to shop or enjoy the boardwalk before going back to the ship.

Traffic is better since the new causeway bridge has been in operation. I think 2 or even 2:30 is a great time to head back. You should see plenty of planes from 12-2 ish and you will beat the 3 o'clock bridge opening and should have time to stop in town to shop or enjoy the boardwalk before going back to the ship.

The twenty minute trip to Maho mentioned is almost impossible to make in my opinion. Perhaps at 7:30 with absolutely no traffic. Otherwise, plan on the 30 minute journey, but it COULD be 45 or more, depending on when you travel.

I agree with karysa about the 2-2:30 departure, but as to the noonish plane spotting, we've been disappointed twice while staying on island with trying to catch the KLM 747 coming in. It was way early both times.

Note that it only comes in once a week (perhaps twice during season) but check to see if it will be on the day that you're there, and, if so, I would be there by 11:00, just in case.

gary

The twenty minute trip to Maho mentioned is almost impossible to make in my opinion. Perhaps at 7:30 with absolutely no traffic. Otherwise, plan on the 30 minute journey, but it COULD be 45 or more, depending on when you travel.

I agree with karysa about the 2-2:30 departure, but as to the noonish plane spotting, we've been disappointed twice while staying on island with trying to catch the KLM 747 coming in. It was way early both times.

Note that it only comes in once a week (perhaps twice during season) but check to see if it will be on the day that you're there, and, if so, I would be there by 11:00, just in case.

gary

I agree Gary, I have seen the KLM in the summer as early as 10:45 which would put it in during the Nov-March months at 11:45. The time that it came at 10:45 it was about 30 minutes early and I tracked it via the internet and arrived at Maho around 10:30.