Early Return Flight

Gacksy

Hey Everyone,

We are cruising the Carnival Valor in February.

Our flights coming home were just changed by the airline from leave around noonish to 9:40 am at Luis Munoz. We are flying American Airlines to Dallas. Does anyone know if this is do-able in getting off the ship & making our flight on time?

thanks!

I agree with the above poster.... tell them to change you back or make different arrangements. However I have heard of people making it by 8:30 am...... but why ruin a good cruise with having to be stressed out about rushing off the ship and screaming to the airport. So much easier to have time.

Hey Everyone,

Our flights coming home were just changed by the airline from leave around noonish to 9:40 am at Luis Munoz. We are flying American Airlines to Dallas. Does anyone know if this is do-able in getting off the ship & making our flight on time?

thanks!

I was on the Valor in June. We had a 10:10 return flight. Was off the ship at 7:00 and at the Airport, Checked in, through Agriculture and at the bay by 8:00. You should have no problem. And, the early departure makes the entire travel day much more enjoyable as you will arrive home at a more decent hour.

Totally agree we've done this twice. Just keep your luggage and do self assist. You'll be right off the boat at 7am. Cabs are easily available. Make sure to go through agricultural screening at the airport prior to check in. You'll be fine. We are booked on RCCL this next time and I'm hoping it's as easy as Carnival because we have a 10am flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We easily made 930 am flight last year, and could have made 830 flight! That was from pan American pier.

We were first in line to get off ship.

Check in for flight day before, walk off with own bags (we cruise on celebrity...don't know how other lines do it), and have paperwork filld out for customs.

We didn't get off the ship on Oct 5th until after 11:00am . I would have been flipping out if I had a flight that early. Then customs was backed up too. We had planned to tour the forts before our 4pm flight but ended up just eating some lunch and heading to the airport a little early as we didn't feel like we had enough time for sightseeing.

We didn't get off the ship on Oct 5th until after 11:00am . I would have been flipping out if I had a flight that early. Then customs was backed up too. We had planned to tour the forts before our 4pm flight but ended up just eating some lunch and heading to the airport a little early as we didn't feel like we had enough time for sightseeing.

Did you do self assist? Or have them take your luggage?

Hey Everyone,

thanks!

Have you ask Carnival directly what they are thinking. I'm sure you're not

the only one and if the cruise company tells you it's doable then you'll

be alright.

I have a question that some of you who have been on a cruise that may have docked at 0700hrs can answer. I appreciate that this has been commented about, BUT due to the fact that I dropped the ball last Saturday in Fort Lauderdale, which meant changing two flights I have to ask to avoid it happening again.

If we are flying out of San Juan at 1100hrs to JFK and then onto Ireland, do you think that 1100hrs is a very safe bet, allowing to be at the airport at 0900hrs for check in. Our ship, Adventure of the Seas is due in at 0700hrs.

Just because a couple of people have done it and had no problem doesn't mean you should attempt it.

I've been on ships that disembarkation was delayed and the self-assist didn't even begin until around 8:30 and then it was just chaos with all those people who didn't follow the recommendations trying to shove their way to the front of the line to hurry to the airport. :mad:

There's a reason the cruiselines recommend flights after noon.

"Can" it be done? Maybe. "Should" you attempt it? Let's just say I'd never, ever even consider it.

The airline changed your flight; it's their responsibility to get you one something that works.

After our recent experience at the San Juan airport this past Sunday I would never risk cutting something that close. Granted we flew out on United Airlines and Not American, but we waited in line for 2 1/2 hours to check in with United even thought we had already checked in online, obtained our boarding passes and only needed to drop off luggage. Apparently some of the airlines don't allow you to do that and you have to wait in the line with everyone else. The line was literally from one end to the other, some people actually were in line for 4 hours before they were able to check in. It was a crazy situation and from what I have now heard on FB from others, the SJU airport seems to have staffing problems like this all the time, for most of the time we waited in line there were only 2 employees checking people and luggage in and then all at once about 4-5 employees walked onto the line to help. It was like they all went off to lunch at the same time. We were talking to a British couple that had gotten in the line at 10:30am and did not reach the front of the line till 2:30pm. This is no joke, everyone was angry, United refused to send anyone back to the line to talk to the irate customers instead sending the airport customer service staff and told us we could fill out complaint forms.

Luckily we arrived very early at 1pm for our 4pm flight and we just made it to the gate at 3:55pm. Our flight didn't take off until 4:40pm.

Several times while we were waiting in line they had to pull certain people out that had flights departing and check them in before others, it was a madhouse and I will remember this for any future trips we happen to make at San Juan airport.

Good afternoon from a wet and dismal (but no snow), Ireland.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Based on your comments we are now happy to wait until the 1500hrs flight to NY and the evening flight on to Dublin. Now it is just a case of sit back and look forward to next June.

Again Thanks. James

Update...we made (easily made) 830 am flight this morning. Were probably 20th persons off the ship, shared a taxi to airport ($15 each couple) did ag inspection, checked bags and used precheck to breeze through security (lines were pretty short anyway at 745). Ymmv, but at least with on time summit it works perfectly.

Update...we made (easily made) 830 am flight this morning. Were probably 20th persons off the ship, shared a taxi to airport ($15 each couple) did ag inspection, checked bags and used precheck to breeze through security (lines were pretty short anyway at 745). Ymmv, but at least with on time summit it works perfectly.

Good work!

That's the trick, get off the ship first and arrive at the airport before the lines start to back up.

Not a good plan for those with mobility issues, anxiety issues or young children.

Thanks for sharing.

Good work!

That's the trick, get off the ship first and arrive at the airport before the lines start to back up.

Not a good plan for those with mobility issues, anxiety issues or young children.

Thanks for sharing.

agree 100%. You need to be in the first wave of people. The ship arrives at 6 (or before?), but the 3 times we have done same cruise, it is always after 7 before they let you off. (i'm sorry i didn't pay close attention yesterday to see what the actual time was, but i'm guessing it was 7:15). No customs lines (took 15 seconds to get through!, and the line at TSA at airport was prob less than 10 minutes).

Ok thanks. Which airline were you on? We are on Delta and they moved flight to 8:30 to Atlanta. Also which cruise terminal does the summitt come in to always?

Pan American Pier, 15 minute drive at most, we also flew Delta.

REMEMBER when you get to terminal the FIRST THING you do is put ALL your bags through the Ag Inspection station and get your stickers.

Have a great trip!

Don't look at what time the flight leaves. Look at what time you have to be at the AP. Ideally you should be there 1.5 hours in advance. For a 9:40 flight, that is roughly 8 a.m. Assume 1/2 hour to disembark, clear customs with your bags and 1/2 hour to travel to the AP. Still think you can make it?

Pan American Pier, 15 minute drive at most, we also flew Delta.

REMEMBER when you get to terminal the FIRST THING you do is put ALL your bags through the Ag Inspection station and get your stickers.

Have a great trip!

Including carry-ons ?

• 1 month later...