Clarification on room service & buying a bottle of liquor

Animal Farm

You can purchase from Room Service or order before you cruise from Bon Voyage. What you can not do is take the bottle purchased in the Fun Shops back to your room. I think this is sometimes confusing for first time cruiser.

Fun Shops are the duty free stores on the ship.

Bon Voyage is the online store to pre purchase items (on Carnival website)

Room Service is delivery to your room.

And the prices are the same, room service and Bon Voyage.

Not exactly. The base price is right, but the gratuity is added on for room service, just as if you got a drink from the bar. No extra charge ordering ahead, just a limit of two bottles.

If you know what you want I suggest you get on carnival's website and order ahead of time. That way you don't have to pay the 15% gratuity for it. And you can guarantee to get what you want. If you wait until you are on the ship, there's no guarantee they will have the exact brand of whatever you are buying, plus like others have said, once on the ship if you order it, it would be through room service and it's going to come with a 15% gratuity added to it.

Hold the phone!!!!!! LOL Are you telling me I can order a full bottle of Makers Mark (liter) from room service on say.....the third day of a cruise and they deliver it to be consumed in my room?

I have ordered bottles via bon voyage, but have never ordered one thru room service.

. No extra charge ordering ahead, just a limit of two bottles.

When was the limit implemented? We cruised in 2011 with my family of 10 and I pre-ordered 7 bottles for the family, and they were all waiting for us in my room when we boarded.

Not exactly. The base price is right, but the gratuity is added on for room service, just as if you got a drink from the bar. No extra charge ordering ahead, just a limit of two bottles.

I don't think you are correct regarding room service bottle orders. No gratuity is added for bottles (or anything else for that matter) ordered via room service. However, it is considered good taste to give a tip ($2-$3) to the person who delivers the room service order. At least that's been the case on every cruise I've been on (I always order a bottle from room service) but my last cruise was in March 2014 so things may have changed.

Edited by travler27

When was the limit implemented? We cruised in 2011 with my family of 10 and I pre-ordered 7 bottles for the family, and they were all waiting for us in my room when we boarded.

Not sure when but last two years the limit was 2 order - liquor or beer. Two years ago I ordered 4 beers for the room and tried to order 2 bottles but was only allowed to get one. I ordered from room service the 2nd bottle so all was well.

Not sure when but last two years the limit was 2 order - liquor or beer. Two years ago I ordered 4 beers for the room and tried to order 2 bottles but was only allowed to get one. I ordered from room service the 2nd bottle so all was well.

Perhaps it's a per person limit. 2 for you and 2 for your roomy?

We always order a bottle from Bon Voyage and room service. Never paid a gratuity for room service , always tipped though. More expensive than your local liquor store , but a better deal than individual drinks from the bars on board !

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In October of 2012 the limit went to 4 bottles per room. Last August, it went to two bottles per room.

I don't think you are correct regarding room service bottle orders. No gratuity is added for bottles (or anything else for that matter) ordered via room service. However, it is considered good taste to give a tip ($2-$3) to the person who delivers the room service order. At least that's been the case on every cruise I've been on (I always order a bottle from room service) but my last cruise was in March 2014 so things may have changed.

My last cruise was March as well, on Liberty. DW ordered the bottle, so she may just have been a big tipper! I just looked at the total amount charged on S&S for Room Service that day. I do know that they may not have what you want if you do order on board. She settled for her second choice.

We've ordered a bottle a few times through room service on various ships (Destiny, Victory, Glory). They do not add gratuity to your order. It is the exact same price as if you had ordered through BonVoyage. Tipping is at your own discretion just as it is if you had ordered food from room service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Vanilla Rum, it's not available through BV so I'm wondering if I would be able to order it from room service? Any experience ordering something different from what BV offers?

No actual experience but I have a hard time thinking Carnival won't sell it if they have it. At the prices they charge they'd be nuts not to.

I like the Vanilla Rum, it's not available through BV so I'm wondering if I would be able to order it from room service? Any experience ordering something different from what BV offers?

I know there are drinks on the bar menus that use Vanilla Rum, so it's on the ship.

I know there are drinks on the bar menus that use Vanilla Rum, so it's on the ship.

I drank plenty of it in the Miracle last month so I'm assuming they'll have it on the Inspiration. If I can get it, I won't buy Cheers. If not...I'll have to think about it :).

We were on Magic November 2013. It was the Thanksgiving cruise. I called room service to order a bottle of wine and a bottle of vodka. The lady said I could only have one or the other but not both. I said "really, I can't order the vodka and wine"? She then said "Yeah OK, you can have both". Room service delivered both.