Will price drop?

jmcookiemonster25

I am thinking about booking a 9 night cruise to Eastern Caribbean on December 13. I was looking last night at prices and today the price jumped up $30. A few weeks ago it had dropped $150. (So now we're $120 under the first time I found the cruise) So I'm wondering if the price will continue to rise until sail date, or if the price will go down again. That week before Christmas isn't really when people have time off so I don't see the rooms filling up completely. Does anyone have any experience with this? What will happen?

Just a guess, but I think a lot of rates went up $30 to coincide with the 'freestyle choice' promo. If the promo interests you, I'd jump on; otherwise there may be some further drop. I'd book now as you're already in that magic window of less than 55 days out.

I am thinking about booking a 9 night cruise to Eastern Caribbean on December 13. I was looking last night at prices and today the price jumped up $30. A few weeks ago it had dropped $150. (So now we're $120 under the first time I found the cruise) So I'm wondering if the price will continue to rise until sail date, or if the price will go down again. That week before Christmas isn't really when people have time off so I don't see the rooms filling up completely. Does anyone have any experience with this? What will happen?

I've been watching my sailing for the 14th rise and drop the last few weeks. Last week it rose in price this week it's dropped a little. The price changes vary from inside to suite during the week even.

It also depends on how many people are sailing. Rooms for just 2 are running cheaper but if you got 3 or more they've been holding at the same price.

Few weeks ago the rooms the hold 3 and 4 dropped a lot and in 2 days the price was way back up. I managed to call and get an upgrade but while I was on the phone with my TA, the one cabin category I was looking at sold out!

Just a guess, but I think a lot of rates went up $30 to coincide with the 'freestyle choice' promo. If the promo interests you, I'd jump on; otherwise there may be some further drop. I'd book now as you're already in that magic window of less than 55 days out.

They were offering the freestyle choice before today, but the price didn't increase until today.

I've been watching my sailing for the 14th rise and drop the last few weeks. Last week it rose in price this week it's dropped a little. The price changes vary from inside to suite during the week even.

It also depends on how many people are sailing. Rooms for just 2 are running cheaper but if you got 3 or more they've been holding at the same price.

Few weeks ago the rooms the hold 3 and 4 dropped a lot and in 2 days the price was way back up. I managed to call and get an upgrade but while I was on the phone with my TA, the one cabin category I was looking at sold out!

Oops! I forgot to mention that we want an inside for 2 people.

It appears that there are still a good amount of cabins left so I'd wait a bit longer. If you are comfortable with the price; however, then book now.

I kinda am, but knowing that it could go lower makes me wait. I can't stand it when I pay more than the minimum. If the price goes up and up I just won't go, simple as that. I'm.not desperate (okay, maybe I am... lol).

Edited by jmcookiemonster25

If this is the Gem, another site shows OV and Insides up (slightly from yesterday), but BX shows the lowest yet (3/13-11/4--nearly half of highest price). Just google sites that show cruise rate changes. As was mentioned, lots of availability. It may go up; it may go down, of course. Look at the various rates over the history of the cruise and make a best guess. They have us gambling even before we embark!

I presume you are sailing out of New York on the Gem. Last year, for the December 14 sailing, the Gem had it's lowest overall price for an inside, category IX, on November 1/2013. Price was $469 on that day. However, for your sailing there is still plenty of insides in the inventory. Your choice. ;)

This is the time folks have time off to cruise, consequently, cruises fill up, and are more expensive.

How much are you willing to pay, how much of a drop are you expecting to see? Hundreds of $$, or $10-20???

Are you willing to pass up a cruise for a pittance amount of money? that really does not amount to much in the end. Folks will stress out over $25 or $50, then pay off a $1,000 bar bill at the end of the cruise.

We can guess what can occur with pricing, sometimes these questions are like what the price of stocks are going to do, we do not know.

If you want to go on a cruise, book a low priced guarantee, hope for an upgrade, and have a great time. Hopefully $100 will not impact you financially. :eek:

If this is the Gem, another site shows OV and Insides up (slightly from yesterday), but BX shows the lowest yet (3/13-11/4--nearly half of highest price). Just google sites that show cruise rate changes. As was mentioned, lots of availability. It may go up; it may go down, of course. Look at the various rates over the history of the cruise and make a best guess. They have us gambling even before we embark!

I didn't realize there were sites like that, so thanks!

I just looked it up and for most the inside/oceanview rooms the price was at a low yesterday.

I see that the balcony and higher rooms are going down, but we don't need a room like that, unless it was like 400 bucks lol.

I presume you are sailing out of New York on the Gem. Last year, for the December 14 sailing, the Gem had it's lowest overall price for an inside, category IX, on November 1/2013. Price was $469 on that day. However, for your sailing there is still plenty of insides in the inventory. Your choice. ;)

Yes, I used a certain cruise tracking website (cruise sea animal) to find this sailing. So far it was at the lowest price yesterday. I hope it drops again.

Is there a way to easily see how many insides are left?

This is the time folks have time off to cruise, consequently, cruises fill up, and are more expensive.

How much are you willing to pay, how much of a drop are you expecting to see? Hundreds of $$, or $10-20???

Are you willing to pass up a cruise for a pittance amount of money? that really does not amount to much in the end. Folks will stress out over $25 or $50, then pay off a $1,000 bar bill at the end of the cruise.

We can guess what can occur with pricing, sometimes these questions are like what the price of stocks are going to do, we do not know.

If you want to go on a cruise, book a low priced guarantee, hope for an upgrade, and have a great time. Hopefully $100 will not impact you financially. :eek:

People have off that week? Really? I would think most people have off the week of Christmas, not the week before.

But yesterday I could get it on a certain club membership wholesale place (if you know what I'm talking about) for $519. I would love it to go down to the low 400's. My dad was able to get a cruise for low 200s last year and we were thrilled. I just want to get the best deal I can!

We don't drink (my dad will have a few beers) or gamble. So we don't really have any charges besides the tips. But that's irrelevant.

People have off that week? Really? I would think most people have off the week of Christmas, not the week before.

But yesterday I could get it on a certain club membership wholesale place (if you know what I'm talking about) for $519. I would love it to go down to the low 400's. My dad was able to get a cruise for low 200s last year and we were thrilled. I just want to get the best deal I can!

We don't drink (my dad will have a few beers) or gamble. So we don't really have any charges besides the tips. But that's irrelevant.

From about mid November to early January is when folks take holiday vacations. Try booking airfares and getting dirt cheap fares during this time. The airline's know they do not need to discount fares to fill the planes, nor do other travel services.

Did you also consider joining AARP, you do not need to be 50+ to join. Its about $16/yr, and you may be able to save additional $$ in booking the cruise. It may feel depressing to do so, but for the $$ savings, it may be worth it.

Good luck. ;)

From about mid November to early January is when folks take holiday vacations. Try booking airfares and getting dirt cheap fares during this time. The airline's know they do not need to discount fares to fill the planes, nor do other travel services.

Did you also consider joining AARP, you do not need to be 50+ to join. Its about $16/yr, and you may be able to save additional $$ in booking the cruise. It may feel depressing to do so, but for the $$ savings, it may be worth it.

Good luck. ;)

My dad is a member so we do get a discount, so that does help, but the price still increased, with or without a discount. Oh well. Luckily we drive to the port so we don't have to deal with air fair either, but if a cruise is coming up and they have a lot of rooms left they'll dump them cheap. We have gotten some $229 cruises before, they're awesome.