Booking through NCL vs _______

jmcookiemonster25

I am considering a cruise. NCL's price is basically the same as another company's price (large wholesale warehouse travel company).

What are the advantages of booking through one or the other? Both offer the choice of a dining package or 10% credit. I cannot see any differences.

The only thing I can think of is if the price drops, NCL might work with you for an upgrade. In the past, when booking through the other company, they cannot do anything about a price drop since they aren't NCL.

Any other advantages to one or the other?

Good TAs (as-in for the benefit of customer) will usually give about 10% of the cruise price either as a discount or in OBC on top of whatever bonuses or perks NCL is offering.

Since the pricing you see at the TA you're looking at doesn't have anything like that, I'd book directly.

Edited by Demonyte

Good TAs (as-in for the benefit of customer) will usually give about 10% of the cruise price either as a discount or in OBC on top of whatever NCL is offering.

Since the pricing you see at the TA you're looking at doesn't have anything like that, I'd book directly.

Yes, normally the TA is much lower, but in this case it's only $12.50 cheaper per person (only 2 going). So for $25 bucks, I'm thinking the possibility of getting some credit in the event of a price drop is worth it. It's kinda like insurance.

Although it wouldn't hurt to call and negotiate a price for TA, maybe they could match their price they had yesterday (went up about $30).

Do TAs get their rooms ahead of time, then resell to customers, or is their availability based on NCL's. I don't see why the TA's price too would increase $30, unless they don't get their designated rooms ahead of time.

Do TAs get their rooms ahead of time, then resell to customers, or is their availability based on NCL's. I don't see why the TA's price too would increase $30, unless they don't get their designated rooms ahead of time.

TAs can sometimes book group blocks (one free cabin per eight paid cabins with double occupancy) and try to sell the cabins for some kind of discount, but that is not too common.

Usually TAs will sell cabins from the same allocation as NCL directly.

Depending on the room category or number of people in the group, you might get a great deal on OBC, prepaid tips or other amenities from a travel agent compare to directly booking with NCL. I can tell right now with honesty, if you're a solo traveler and choosing a studio room, you're better off booking directly to NCL and that even if you choose to upgrade later to a balcony. That is due to not too many offers given for that room choice by travel agents, not even prepaid tips. Use a travel agent for any other room categories like interiors or balconies.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I can tell right now with honesty, if you're a solo traveler and choosing a studio room, you're better off booking directly to NCL and that even if you choose to upgrade later to a balcony. That is due to not too many offers given for that room choice by travel agents, not even prepaid tips.

That is because giving too much away from the price paid for one studio would eat their commission. When asking for a personalized quote, most TAs will calculate the extra perks they can give directly based on the total price of the cabin.

Shop around! I generally have booked with that large warehouse but they now charge for changes to your reservation. Meaning if you want to re-book to capture a price reduction, you pay them $25 each time.

I didn't find their prices were any better for NCL. I ended up booking with another warehouse.

Depending on the room category or number of people in the group, you might get a great deal on OBC, prepaid tips or other amenities from a travel agent compare to directly booking with NCL. I can tell right now with honesty, if you're a solo traveler and choosing a studio room, you're better off booking directly to NCL and that even if you choose to upgrade later to a balcony. That is due to not too many offers given for that room choice by travel agents, not even prepaid tips. Use a travel agent for any other room categories like interiors or balconies.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

So far online the prices are the same. No one is giving extra stuff. I am traveling with 1 other person.

Shop around! I generally have booked with that large warehouse but they now charge for changes to your reservation. Meaning if you want to re-book to capture a price reduction, you pay them $25 each time.

I didn't find their prices were any better for NCL. I ended up booking with another warehouse.

They are normally cheaper, which is why we go through them, but this cruise they're the same almost. In the past when the price drops a ton they can't do anything for you, and neither can ncl.

It's a hassle booking with a TA. They have to pretty much put you on hold and call the cruise company. The cruise company will not talk to you. Unless there are some major perks being offered with the TA, I'd avoid it and book direct.

The major perk has always been the price, but now it's almost the same.

We booked through NCL.

I am considering a cruise. NCL's price is basically the same as another company's price (large wholesale warehouse travel company).

What are the advantages of booking through one or the other? Both offer the choice of a dining package or 10% credit. I cannot see any differences.

The only thing I can think of is if the price drops, NCL might work with you for an upgrade. In the past, when booking through the other company, they cannot do anything about a price drop since they aren't NCL.

Any other advantages to one or the other?

Personally I would wait to book until they get rid if the phony 10% or dining deal as prices are close to the highest they have been for many cruises right now

Kids sail free is the best promo ever

The current price of my upcoming cruise is much much higher than it was 2 months ago with none of these deals. Jmho based on watching the prices religiously since booking under ksf.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm finding the same thiing! I'm used to using a TA for Princess where it can make a big difference.....

I plan to book the Epic for October 2015 and will book through NCL for the convenience. If I have to make changes - I can cancel and rebook without any penalty :)

Personally I would wait to book until they get rid if the phony 10% or dining deal as prices are close to the highest they have been for many cruises right now

Kids sail free is the best promo ever

The current price of my upcoming cruise is much much higher than it was 2 months ago with none of these deals. Jmho based on watching the prices religiously since booking under ksf.

For this cruise in particular it's at the lowest it's been (well, yesterday was the lowest). We took the 10% credit, as with the dining thing you only got one time at the french, italian and cagneys, and we want to eat at cagneys a few times, moderno, the japanese, and have no interest in the french.

We got 118 credit towards the dining package (149 for a 9 day sailing) so that's worth it to us.

Yes, the kids sail for free is good if you have kids!

For this cruise in particular it's at the lowest it's been (well, yesterday was the lowest). We took the 10% credit, as with the dining thing you only got one time at the french, italian and cagneys, and we want to eat at cagneys a few times, moderno, the japanese, and have no interest in the french.

We got 118 credit towards the dining package (149 for a 9 day sailing) so that's worth it to us.

Yes, the kids sail for free is good if you have kids!

It's actually for the 3 rd and 4 th in the same cabin regardless of age

Works well for groups of friends or in my case this cruise will be just me and my 2 current college kids

Dh home with the youngest

But ksf doesn't work for couples however the price for my cabin was $1500 for 12 days inside guarantee and under ksf it would be the same if 2. 3. Or 4 pax were in that cabin

So the price I paid was very very low and that same cabin today for just 2 pax is about $1000 more.

I am convinced that ksf is the deal to look for hands down even if it is just 2 of you

Fwiw I booked in July for jan 2015

It's actually for the 3 rd and 4 th in the same cabin regardless of age

Works well for groups of friends or in my case this cruise will be just me and my 2 current college kids

Dh home with the youngest

But ksf doesn't work for couples however the price for my cabin was $1500 for 12 days inside guarantee and under ksf it would be the same if 2. 3. Or 4 pax were in that cabin

So the price I paid was very very low and that same cabin today for just 2 pax is about $1000 more.

I am convinced that ksf is the deal to look for hands down even if it is just 2 of you

Fwiw I booked in July for jan 2015

Yeah we didn't even look for the ksf as there are just two of us, and I needed a specific time frame and leaving out if nyc so I can't be picky with cruises. Wish my mom could go but that would mean leaving my 17 year old sister home alone and that's not going to work.

I almost booked with a travel agent who was using a travel warehouse and the main reason I did NOT book with them was that the deposit was nonrefundable. I then turned around and booked directly with NCL with a refundable deposit. Can't understand not refunding your deposit before final payment. Daylight robbery.:eek::eek::eek:

I almost booked with a travel agent who was using a travel warehouse and the main reason I did NOT book with them was that the deposit was nonrefundable. I then turned around and booked directly with NCL with a refundable deposit. Can't understand not refunding your deposit before final payment. Daylight robbery.:eek::eek::eek:

Sorry, but getting your deposit back? Is this if you cancel? I am confused.

You put a deposit down and then pay the difference. I don't understand - why would you get that back?

The travel agent who was using a warehouse told me the deposit was nonrefundable even before FINAL PAYMENT. Whereas NCL will refund (much smaller) deposit before final payment if cancelling.

Until final payment date the deposit is fully refundable

You are talking about Ncl right?

Not early saver on ccl?

Just making sure you have your cruiseline right