Nassau

Heyref

Nassau is not all that bad, actually.

So, if you don't wanna book an excursion, then the snorkel and other tours are out.

I personally suggest spending the morning off the ship, walking around through the shops, and going up to Queen Ann's staircase and the Fort up there (forgot what it's called).

Re-board the ship for lunch, and change into your bathing suit. Get off again and catch a cab to Junkanoo Beach, or whatever it's called nearby, and do a little swimming or sun bathing. If you don't want to, stay on or take a cab to Atlantis. tour around.

I suppose you have a 7-5 day, or at least a morning and afternoon, not arriving late or leaving early. actually, if you get there late, eat lunch early and spend the whole rest of the day off the ship. if you leave early, spend the morning off and come back on for lunch and stay on.

don't ignore nassau, especially if it's your first time. many get tired of it, as it occurs on many Caribbean cruises in place of a better stop further south. I think it's a good "I'm on vacation so why not" kind of day. you're in for a great day :D

There are two "free" beaches where you can rent chairs and umbrellas - Junkanoo Beach (within walking distance of the ship) and Cabbage Beach (on Paradise Island which requires a short taxi ride).

Personally, I think it's worth it to get a day pass at one of the hotels so you have facilities. Check out Melia - they have a day pass for $30 which includes use of beach and pools and non-motorized water sports. Food and drink are extra.

There are also a few all-inclusives (Breezes, Sandals, RIU) which cost more but include food and drinks. Lots of info on this board about all of these options, if you look around.

Just be aware that the water in the Bahamas in January is cold! :)

We also enjoy the Melia on Cable Beach. There are several pools and a nice beach area. We usually just have a big breakfast on board and get a snack at Melia.

We also like the British Colonial Hilton which is in walking distance of the pier. One can get a day pass or just stop for tea or a drink.

If the weather is cool, we might opt for a morning at the Ardastra Gardens and zoo.

We do plan excursions in Nassau- we don't just wander around.

Our Jan 2015 cruise spends a day in Nassau.

Looking for suggestions as to what to do. We often take a cab and rent beach chairs/umbrella. Any options to do that?

If you decide to do something different, we did a walking tour of Nassau last time. Went to Graycliffe and John Watling's. Walked past the Governors mansion and lots of other historical sites on the way there and back. Nice relaxing day. Graycliffe has Cigar and Chocolate manufacturing on the grounds. Like I said, different but a nice relaxing day.

Our Jan 2015 cruise spends a day in Nassau.

Looking for suggestions as to what to do. We often take a cab and rent beach chairs/umbrella. Any options to do that?

Hate being a "Fun Sponge" :o but Nassau is in the Bahamas ... not the Caribbean ... so the water temperatures are chilly in January. About all you can hope for is a warm sunny day.

LuLu