Transatlantic prices next year

StubbornOne

My wife and I were planning to visit the UK this fall, but we've run out of time and will have to delay the trip until 2015. I just had a look at Princess Grill prices for 2015 and see that they are currently much higher than what we would have paid for the last 2014 US->UK sailing: $2599 now, $4099 next April, and (understandably) higher still in the summer.

Can we expect any relief from that nearer the time?

-- S1

We are booked on the 2015 October 29 TA B2B returning November 5. If we don't like the fare when it gets to mid summer (by the end of July) we can just cancel without penalty. I predict a 30% reduction or even more --- but I sure can be wrong. I'll let you know the end of July 2015........:confused:

We are booked on the 2015 October 29 TA B2B returning November 5. If we don't like the fare when it gets to mid summer (by the end of July) we can just cancel without penalty. I predict a 30% reduction or even more --- but I sure can be wrong. I'll let you know the end of July 2015........:confused:

You can't cancel in the UK without losing your deposit. The only alternative over here is to move the booking deposit on for a penalty of £100 to another cruise of at least the same price as the original booking. Under these rules it would be possible to go on the same cruise but in a higher cost cabin for an additional £100.

You can't cancel in the UK without losing your deposit. The only alternative over here is to move the booking deposit on for a penalty of £100 to another cruise of at least the same price as the original booking. Under these rules it would be possible to go on the same cruise but in a higher cost cabin for an additional £100.

Just out of interest do you know if moving the deposit to another cruise would cancel out any OBC that was linked to the first booking.

Thanks

Just out of interest do you know if moving the deposit to another cruise would cancel out any OBC that was linked to the first booking.

Thanks

Yes is the answer. You get any OBC being offered with the new cruise.

There is another point when moving the deposit on which can cause confusion. They don't include any flights if the cost of them can be identified. That's our experience.

Yes is the answer. You get any OBC being offered with the new cruise.

There is another point when moving the deposit on which can cause confusion. They don't include any flights if the cost of them can be identified. That's our experience.

OK. Thank-you for that information. It's useful to know the pros and cons of changing bookings should the need arise!

My wife and I were planning to visit the UK this fall, but we've run out of time and will have to delay the trip until 2015. I just had a look at Princess Grill prices for 2015 and see that they are currently much higher than what we would have paid for the last 2014 US->UK sailing: $2599 now, $4099 next April, and (understandably) higher still in the summer.

-- S1

Do I assume correctly you will be booking from the US or Canada? If so, and if you have your heart set on Princess Grill, you might want to book well in advance at any price. You will, as others have said, have the option of cancelling without penalty if the fare doesn't drop. Princess Grill is very popular and is often sold out well in advance. For an e/b crossing this year we booked PG about 11 months in advance. The fare was higher than we have paid before, but we really wanted this particular crossing. The P2 level (which we booked) sold out about 10 months in advance and the P1s were gone about eight months before the crossing.

When we decided on our w/b crossing seven months in advance, both Grills were sold out. There was ample accommodation in Britannia, which we booked, and the fares were reduced about 30% for that so we were happy.

On some previous trips there was a substantial reduction in PG before final payment date. So sometimes we win and sometimes we lose, as far as fares go.

-- S1

I don't know if this helps, but I received a Cunard brochure in the mail today titled "The Grill Suites". Several special offers were mentioned for 2015, including

NY to Southampton

3 June

21 June

4 Aug

Princess Suite (P2) $2,698 + $200 OBC

Various terms and conditions, of course... Offer expires 16 Dec 2014...Reference Promotion Code UA1

-S.

Edited by Salacia

• 2 weeks later...
Where do we post the code UA1 when booking?

If you are booking on Cunard's U.S. web site (http://www.cunard.com), the first page of the booking process includes this prompt.

Have you sailed with Cunard before or do you have communication from Cunard

or one of our partners with a promotional code (e.g ABC) and would like to apply

this to your booking, if so click 'yes':

If you click "Yes", you are taken to a Guest Details page which includes a Promotion Code field. That's where you would enter that UA1 promotion code.

I am unable to find where the promotion code can be entered on Cunard's UK web site (http://www.cunard.co.uk). Perhaps promotion codes do not apply to UK bookings. One of our contributors from the UK should be able to enlighten us about that.

Regards,

John.

FWIW, the June 3-10, 2015 EB crossing is already listed as "Sold Out" on the US site for the PG and Club staterooms.

If you are watching prices there are times it will make no sense. For an October NY-Canada-NY sailings a PG listed for more than a Q5, PG was only $1 more than a standard balcony, and the lowest category inside stateroom more than a balcony. Prices were just all over the map. Cunard uses the POLAR booking system which has an algorithm constantly adjusting prices within each category according to demand.

Edited by BlueRiband

If you are booking on Cunard's U.S. web site (www.cunard.com), the first page of the booking process includes this prompt.

Have you sailed with Cunard before or do you have communication from Cunard

or one of our partners with a promotional code (e.g ABC) and would like to apply

this to your booking, if so click 'yes':

If you click "Yes", you are taken to a Guest Details page which includes a Promotion Code field. That's where you would enter that UA1 promotion code.

I am unable to find where the promotion code can be entered on Cunard's UK web site (www.cunard.co.uk). Perhaps promotion codes do not apply to UK bookings. One of our contributors from the UK should be able to enlighten us about that.

Regards,

John.

Thanks for the help. I did find it on the website. One more question - do you know if this discount code can be used if we book through a travel agent or is it only for online bookings?

Thanks for the help. I did find it on the website. One more question - do you know if this discount code can be used if we book through a travel agent or is it only for online bookings?

Sorry, I am not certain if this promotion is available when booking through a travel agent. One item worth noting in the terms and conditions (which is typical of such offers) is this.

Offer is available to residents of the 50 United States, Canada, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Mexico and the District of Columbia who are 21 years of age or older
and receive this offer

Emphasis mine. If I attempt to enter the promotion code on cunard.com without also entering my Cunard World Club Number, I eventually receive this error message.

We are unable to display availability for this voyage. Please try again or contact us on 1-800-7-CUNARD (1-800-728-6273).

Presumably Cunard is verifying that I am eligible for this promotion by verifying my Cunard World Club Number.

Regards,

John.

You are correct - it would not let us use the code to book online. We registered and have a number as "prospect member" but it is not the same. You would think they would want to encourage new customers by giving them some discount as well. We will see what our travel agent can do for us. Thanks for your help