Star Tips & Secrets

Eytbol8

The Star Bar staff told me last week that during dry dock they are switching places with Moderno. That makes a lot of sense, consolidating Moderno and Cagney's on deck 13 and moving a bar into the Atrium, where there isn't one currently.

For anyone interested, the Norwegian Star will be in dry dock in Portland, Oregon at Vigor Industries in March 2015. Assuming it takes two days to get to Portland from Los Angeles (989 nautical miles), the Star should be in Portland between March 3rd and March 15th. See Vigor's press release at: http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11889-vigor-drydock-in-business-for-cruise-in-northwest.html

For those of us in the Pacific Northwest, it would be a sight to see the Star heading up the Columbia River from Astoria to Portland on March 2nd or 3rd.

Wouldn't it be awesome, if the Norwegian fans in the Pacific Northwest could throw a nice big party for the Star's crew to show its appreciation for all the pampering we have received on-board the ship over the years.

Edited by calex

The Star Bar staff told me last week that during dry dock they are switching places with Moderno. That makes a lot of sense, consolidating Moderno and Cagney's on deck 13 and moving a bar into the Atrium, where there isn't one currently.

I wonder if the Star Bar will become Sugar Cane Mojitos like on the Jewel? I hope O'Sheehans goes in on deck 8 where Moderno and Blue Lagoon are now.

I look forward to seeing all the changes in May.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='herdingdogmom']I hope O'Sheehans goes in on deck 8 where Moderno and Blue Lagoon are now.[/QUOTE]

Just got off the Star, and that is exactly where O'Sheehans is going to go. The Hotel Director also mentioned he is getting 1,600 new mattresses.

[quote name='julie3fan']Just got off the Star, and that is exactly where O'Sheehans is going to go. The Hotel Director also mentioned he is getting 1,600 new mattresses.[/QUOTE]

Did you hear anything else regarding what will be happening during the dry dock? We are on the Star about 2 weeks after dry dock and curious what changes to expect. Thanks!

The Spinnaker Lounge is being updated, but I don't know if it is only cosmetic or if they'll do anything structural. I can't remember what else...I think it was just more small stuff. I was surprised to learn that the entire crew stays on board and helps the 400-500 contractors with their work. The contractors stay on board so it makes sense that some of the crew would be needed to feed them, etc. And it makes sense from a financial stand point that you wouldn't send the crew to other ships, then bring them all back after just a few weeks. I'd guess everybody will stay busy doing cleaning of things/places that don't normally get cleaned.

[quote name='Linda the Book Lover']I am looking forward to a possible new mattress on March 17th:D[/QUOTE]

I agree, that would be fantastic!

Also, thanks everyone for this thread! I admit that I love the "tips/secrets" or even the little known things about ships. The last time we cruised, I didn't read CC at all, and we missed a lot of little, fun things. I don't intend to do that this next time around! :D

• 3 weeks later...
We spoke with a few of the crew members and that is exactly what they will do. Clean, clean and more cleaning. They did say it was a semi-break for them as they are limited to 8 hours per day, well less than what they do during a cruise.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]Ginza has an extensive menu. With 11 people in your group it will be a nightmare to have each order separately. We faced the same problem a few cruises back. The waiter made a suggestion, "How about [COLOR="Red"]EVERYTHING[/COLOR] on the menu". We were impressed and over fed. :eek:Caution:eek:, ask for half orders, you can always ask for seconds:D[/SIZE][/FONT]