Help!! My nails are a mess.... Any advice????

kc320

Can anyone tell me of ANY thing I can do to try and strenghen my nails? I would really like to have my "own" nails for my October cruise. It seems like when they just start to get a little long they tear or break. And it's always way back so I can't even file and try to save it. I have tried the Sally Hansen hard as nails but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Sure would appreciate if anyone can share some tips for this problem.

Karen

Halloween on the Serenade

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;10;30;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Ditto on the OPI Nail Envy. Start with clean, dry nails and apply 2 coats the first day and another coat every other day. Remove after one week and start all over again. You'll see results pretty quickly.

Beth

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;10;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas Reali-Tini Cruise Oct. 16/05

Thanks Ladies! Can you tell me where I would find this? Is it available at Walmart or do I need to go to a nail salon? I'll be back to let you know how it works for me!

Karen

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;10;30;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I have very weak nails that peel and break too and since I've been taking calcium supplements and added more protein to my diet I have long nails for the first time in my life! I was going to get acrylic also before the cruise but now i don't have to do it! Just a suggestion.

Hair salons sometime carry OPI and in our mall the "Trade Secrets" store carries the line.

Marie

Sun Princess 1996

Royal Princess 1997

Royal Princess 1998

Sea Princess 1999

Royal Princess 2000

Crown Princess 2001

Ocean Princess 2002

Star Princess 2003

Sun Princess 2004

I am 58 years old and here is what I have learned over the years:

Protect your nails-keep them polished even if only with clear

Stop cooking, cleaning, doing laundry (LOL)

Make sure you are eatng a well balanced diet with plenty of calcium, fruits and veggies (takes 6+ months to have any effect)

Get a real manicure on a regular basis (here in suburban Chicago I can get a manicur/pedicre combe for $30 at the specialty places)

Keep your nails & cuticles well moisturized

Do NOT use your nails as scredrivers or pry bars

Try different brands of polish. I can wear cover girl, OPI, and Maybeline. Can't use house brands (cheapies) or Sally Hansen, nails split or break real easily.

Not all these hints will work for everone but most sill work for many.

Holly

M/S Boheme 11/69

Rhapsody 2/77?

Azure Sea 3/89

Panama Canal 11/90

Mexican Riviera 3/98

Carnival Triumph 12/99

Carnival Spirit 12/01

NCL Dream 11/17/02

Celebrity Mercury 6/1/03

carnival Victory 3/28/04

Thanks for all the suggestions, I especially like yours Holly! icon_biggrin.gif

There are a couple salons here in town that carry the OPI, I am going to get some this weekend. I also have the calcium supplements, guess they aren't doing me much good sitting on the kitchen counter. I do eat a fairly balanced diet, if anything probably lite on the protein.

Thanks again, you all are the greatest!

Karen

One other suggestion...check what you are using to wash your face. I was using Olay Age Defying face wash and I think it thinned my nails. My face did look smoother and younger but my nails began to peel. Since I stopped using it and went back to my old cleanser my nail problem is improving.

*--Re-living our last cruise makes the wait for the next one bearable--*

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE try Sally Hansen Maximum Grow..this stuff is the best!! I have used it for over 10 years- follow the basic nail program. Apply two coats the first day, then one coat every day for about a week then remove and start again. You can find at all drug and discount stores from Sav-on to Walmart.

Hi Ladies...I start off with clean dry nails. (I file all nails beforehand) I then apply lotion to the nail and cuticle and rub it in. Then I press all my cuticles back. After the lotion dries.. I apply two coats of Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails" and let it dry. Then pick a color and paint away. Always finish off with one coat of hard as Nails for a top coat.

I try to always keep my nails polished. When they get too long, I will cut them back and start over.

I never buff my nails..seems to make them thinner and more prone to peeling and tearing.

P.S.: Always go to the restroom before you begin...nothing like messing up a nail or two!

icon_eek.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;7;4;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'til Crusin on the Conquest

perkins, what I wouldn't give to have my nails get so long I have to cut them back!

I have been using the hard as nails and keeping my nails polished 10 days or so. Hard to tell if there is any improvement yet. I did price the OPI at the mall last week, $14.95 a bottle, ouch. Will give the Sally Hansen another week or 2 before I spring for that much.

Thanks again for everyones suggestions.

[This message was edited by kc320 on 06-15-04 at 12:25 PM.]

I know the Nail Envy is pricey, but so worth it. You'll see the difference within days. I have it on right now.

Be greatful. Up here it's over $20 a bottle.

Beth

<font face='Comic Sans MS' color=6B8E23><font size="2">

<marquee width=50%>Until Mariner Reali-tini Cruise</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=6B8E23&cdt=2005;10;16;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

CLICK HERE for the ROLL CALL

<center>realitini1.jpg

realitini2.gif

realitini3.gif</CENTER>

<font size="1">

nosnobunny, I noticed they have different formula's of the nail envy now, does it make a difference which one I use? I thought I'd start with the original, my nails tear more than actually break.

Gosh, I AM glad I won't have to pay that much!

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

My nails tend to tear since I started on all these darn medications. I was doing so well and they were already for our first Transatlantic in May. Two days out on the ocean, you got it. Ripped a thumb nail so far down. I've never had acrylic nails but thought, well, it might keep me from bleeding on the dinner table. The salon found a space for me and the gal used a bit of nail glue on it. After that she used a bit of acrylic on both thumb nails to make them look even. A beautiful light polish and I wa set for the remaining 13 days. If you can find nail glue at a beauty supply place--get it. I'm still looking. That and regular polish works fine for the tears if the rest of the nails are in good shape.

More on nail problems:

Cracked a nail WAAAAY down about half way across about a month ago. Tried super glue, didn't hold more than a couple days, same for special nail repair stuff I bought at Sally's. Was keepin a bandaid over the nail to protect it. Had my nails done last week for my birthday treat and had them do a repair, silk wrap, for extra charge. Its held up real well and the nail is almost grown out enough so cutting it off will not physically hurt. I remember a woman I know about 15 years ago having her nails wrapped. I may consider starting to do this early next year so as to have good nails for daughters wedding 4 July 05.

I read this thread yesterday b/c I have the same problem as kc320. I feel like I have tried everything but apparently not. I can't wait to get some of that nail envy -- next trip to the mall.

I've trying to grow my nails for an upcoming wedding. I had clear polich on them to protect them. I took it off yesterday b/c I bought some Sally Manson Marine grow polish which had to be put on bare nails 2x a day. My nails felt so brittle & weak all day. I probably lost a 1/4 inch per nail & it didn't have it to give. I have vitamin e oil for a scar. As I was going to bed, I rubbed some directly onto each nail & into the cuticle. My nails feel better already. I'm going to use everyone's suggestions but I am going to keep up w/ the vitamin e oil too.

Good luck to all of us who long for nice nails.

Over the years I have tried everything for my nails, OPI, Sally Hansen, Nailtiques. oils, you name it but none worked for me.

For my recent land vacation to Barbados I had tips and silk wraps applied to my nails. When the tips grow out I have been assured the silk will be enough to protect my natural nails to prevent them from breaking. So far so good, my own nails seem to be growing out well (5 weeks so far).

If this technique is available over here I'm sure you will be able to get it in the US as we are years behind when it comes to nails.

It seems to have worked for me and I just love my nails.

Take daily multivitamins and Calcium and eat Jello at least once a day. I started doing this in February (the worst time of year for my nails) and have had long, strong, good looking nails ever since. No other changes, just supplements and Jello added to your regular diet. Also get a good product like the ones listed above (I prefer Opi) and when you remove polish, always try to use a nail strengthening remover or a remover for sensitive nails/skin. You can also apply vitamin E oil to your bare nails before going to bed and that will help out too.

Archived