Dubrovnik - Grecian Legends

Could anyone please advise where the ship is berthed in relation to the old town? Can you walk or are there taxis?

Also, is there much to see at Corinth or would you advise taking a trip?

thanks,

The port is a good 45 minute walk away from the Old Town in Dubrovnik - walkable but really not an inspiring walk and for me I'd rather be spending that time in amongst the interesting and fabulous Old town itself. Taxis are available right outside the port at a fixed price of €10 p.p each way last time we were there (everyone doubles up and shares so at €2.5 p.p. that's not bad). There are buses running along the main road which are cheaper but often very crowded - again I'd rather just jump into a taxi which will take you right to the entrance of the Old Town (Pile Gate) or to the cable car if you want to do that first.

You can get up to walk the walls (payable) at Pile Gate - quite an experience. If you do the cable car the station is close to the entrance to the Old Town by the Harbour so you can walk into the town via that route but you can't get lost as it's a compact walled town.

Are you berthing in Corinth? Sorry no idea what the town is like - it looks as though the main attraction is ruins the old city of Corinth. Have done the Corinth Canal trip from Piraeus which we enjoyed but personally I love Athens so if berthed at Piraeus would always go there from choice - but Corinth might be great.

We have been to Dubrovnik on the ship three times- once we anchored in the bay and it was tenders in to the quayside, other times we berthed at the quayside near the 'new bridge' which must be two miles from the Old Town.

Some walked but most got a taxi. We were advised not to get the taxis parked next to the ship- we were told they charge 40euro but I don't know if this is true!The best price taxi is if you go through Customs and then the taxis are lined up and will take you to the Old Town for 10euro- often you could share with another couple.

There is a local bus which stops outside the cruise terminal but you have to have the right change in kuna. We waited for this bus once but every bus was coming through full, so we walked back to the ship and got a taxi.

The taxis return from where they set you down- outside Pile Gate., and you can often see other cruise passengers to share the return taxi with.

A nice alternative is to get the taxi from the ship up to the cable car terminus at the top of the mountain- 10euro still. Then get the cable car down to the Old Town. You need kuna or euro, or pay by card to do this trip. The views are amazing.

Can't help with Corinth sorry.

Wet in Dronny today isn't it lol.

Flopsy

Thanks for your replies - very helpful. Not booked yet but think we will - we went to Yugoslavia before the war there (1980's) and loved it. I believe Dubrovnik has been re-built as it was before.

Weather's awful - that's what made us start thinking of sunny holidays:)

Yes Dubrovnik was badly damaged in the war and though rebuilt there are still holes in the walls of the Old Town where the shells landed.

The cable car, bombed in the war, was out of action for many years, but was completely rebuilt two or three years ago and is a great asset to tourism now.

You won't regret booking this itinerary- it's my favourite! Look under my name, and Kruzseeka's, for informative reviews of our experiences.

Flopsy

We shared a taxi in and was going to get the bus back, but the queues were horrendous, so got in the taxi queue, asked if anyone else was on our ship, two ladies said they were and we shared with them.

Agree that Dubrovnik is wonderful. We have walked the walls and expored the town. I didn't realise until I read it on here that there was a cable car, so one for the future :rolleyes:

Can't help with Corinth but as Kruzseeka says Athens is lovely and do-able on your own from Piraeus.

Very wet here too :(

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA