Trunk Bay snorkeling with kids

KatieCharlotte

We'd really like to snorkel at Trunk Bay but would like to know what to expect for the kids. It sounds family friendly but I read a review claiming you need to be a strong swimmer. Our youngest child is only 6 years old and not a strong enough swimmer to be in deep water without a life vest, but she does know how to paddle. She panicked about the mask and refused to snorkel last year, but she wants to try again. DH and I can swim adequately but aren't strong enough to keep ourselves and her afloat. Her siblings loved snorkeling and want to try Trunk Bay.

Am I correct that the cruise ship excursions include float vest rental? Including one for a 35-pound kid?

How far out will we want to snorkel and how calm is the water in average weather conditions?

Will DH and I have time to take turns snorkeling with the older kids if little DD gets scared?

If you are on an excursion everyone must wear a snorkel vest....I have no clue if there are smaller sizes for kids but would suggest you bring some arm floaties to supplement....how rough it is totally depends on mother nature...it can be glassy or choppy or have swells....if you are going diy get there as early as possible before the fish are hiding from all the people....if you are diy consider driving down to maho.....she could see some fish on the right side w/o being over her head....usually very calm and my favorite beach in the world....my grandson swam on his own for the first time there...

Katie: Is there a possibility you could get her a mask and snorkel to try out at home- either in a swimming pool or even in the bath tub? I think lots of children (and adults) have a kind of claustrophobia about a mask and need a chance to try it in a more confined space.

That's an excellent idea. My oldest daughter and my husband have been talking about getting some inexpensive snorkel gear, just to have fun with at the lake. Although it won't be lake weather before we cruise and the pools around here won't allow it, the tub would work. I totally understand the claustrophobia because it took me a little time to get used to it as an adult.

If you are on an excursion everyone must wear a snorkel vest....I have no clue if there are smaller sizes for kids but would suggest you bring some arm floaties to supplement....how rough it is totally depends on mother nature...it can be glassy or choppy or have swells....if you are going diy get there as early as possible before the fish are hiding from all the people....if you are diy consider driving down to maho.....she could see some fish on the right side w/o being over her head....usually very calm and my favorite beach in the world....my grandson swam on his own for the first time there...

We're going to take an excursion I think. Even though I usually prefer traveling on our own, I would be too stressed about the travel logistics and being left behind with the kids to really enjoy the day.

I like the idea of the bath tub. I learned in the Bahamas many years ago. We snorkeled on the great barrier reef about 14 years ago. My partner had only snorkeled one other time. It was an amazing time until we swam over a cliff. It went from 15 feet to who knows. I was a steep dark cliff. It scared the crap out of my partner and he swam over the top of me to get back to the tour boat. Later he told me he though a shark would come and eat us. So I got a snorkel full of water and had to regroup for about ten minutes after nearly be being drown by a friend that wasnt agreat swimmer but probably saw too many Jays movies. For you other snorkelers out there remember to put sun screen on the tops of your ears. I didnt get any burn except on the top of my ears. I still to this day get reminder crusties from the ear burn I got. We are in STT on chrismas eve and renting a car, taking our own snorkel stuff and driving around to a few of the beaches and ending the day with the walking tour of the town and maybe take the sky ride just before getting back on the ship.

Have a great time. I have seen some folks learning now to snorkel at the local Y. If you have a local school you might also want to see if they would let you learn to snorkel there.

I would want my child in a real life vest at that age - not a snorkel vest. When my son was that age, we purchased a life vest and just packed it for our cruises. Not very expensive and we never had to worry if the vest would fit properly. We snorkeled at Trunk Bay this past June. It is a decent swim and easy get separated while following fish.

Sent from my iPad using Forums