Organic whole milk?

sonujohar

We are cruising with our 18 month old and I was wondering if anyone with small kids knew if they have organic whole milk on the Breakaway?

If not, not anyone know if the mini-bar in the room could be emptied out and a gallon of milk be kept in there? Is it big enough for 1 gallon or perhaps 2 1/2 gallons?

Jumping on. We are going on Getaway soon with our son, who will be 20 months. He also only drinks organic whole milk, as he tolerates it better than non-organic. Are we allowed to bring milk on board? Will it be confiscated?

Edited by JRos

interesting question..can't say for sure. I just got off Getaway. to me I would think of the coffee bar or something.

ship seemed pretty family friendly. bringing on in Miami I don't think they'd have a problem, but I would personally inquire first. I know if you were in Haiti or something and bought it offshore they wouldn't want it onboard.

Jumping on. We are going on Getaway soon with our son, who will be 20 months. He also only drinks organic whole milk, as he tolerates it better than non-organic. Are we allowed to bring milk on board? Will it be confiscated?

Think you'll be fine. You might want to check with the head farmer though, as the farm on deck three might have organic dairy cows.

We are cruising with our 18 month old and I was wondering if anyone with small kids knew if they have organic whole milk on the Breakaway?

If not, not anyone know if the mini-bar in the room could be emptied out and a gallon of milk be kept in there? Is it big enough for 1 gallon or perhaps 2 1/2 gallons?

The mini bar can be emptied. However, if the Breakaway fridges are the same as the Getaway's, they are really small. I can visualize pint bottles in there, but not sure about anything bigger. A bottle of wine had to be placed on its side.

The mini bar can be emptied. However, if the Breakaway fridges are the same as the Getaway's, they are really small. I can visualize pint bottles in there, but not sure about anything bigger. A bottle of wine had to be placed on its side.

Breakaway was the same. The top shelf is pretty useless.

They will not have organic whole milk on board. Since the rooms are sometimes not ready until about 2 pm, boarding time will be important, I don't know how long you can keep the milk at room temps? I would be looking at pint containers to be sure. The room fridges are pretty small.

You're not going to get organic anything. It will be easy to get whole milk though.

As far as the mini fridge, they don't get cold enough or stay cold enough to keep milk safely cold. The refrigerators in the rooms keep things just barely cold. More like cool.

I was also going to suggest bringing a case or two of the individual 8oz sized milk containers. They will definitely fit in the fridge and you don't have to worry about keeping them cold prior to opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

well I was just on the Getaway and it was big enough for a pint, maybe two but not much more than that

Edited by singelsethc

Bring the individual size containers that do not need refrigeration. Of course once opened, it does need refrigeration, but you would have lots more options with space and won't have to worry about your week's supply of milk spoiling.

I would also suggest bringing UHT milk that doesn't need to be refrigerated until it is opened. You can definitely fit small boxes into the fridge. I'm pretty sure I've seen organic milk in shelf-stable packaging.

For some families - especially those with young children who are underweight or/and with dietary/hormone sensitivities, it's a real issue. We weren't asking for opinions on what many believe we should feed our kids or if this topic is amusing to some. I'm sure you can read another topic on this very busy message board if it's a subject that is of no consequence to you.

While it's been years since my boys were that young and I needed to worry about whole vs. skim, I don't think it's anyone's business if either poster wants to feed their child organic milk.

Perhaps there is a tolerance issue, or perhaps they are against milk that comes from cows who have been fed hormones or antibiotics. It's really none of our business, or anyone's place to say "a week of regular milk won't hurt anyone." We don't know that.

To the OPs, I would think the best bet would be shelf stable organic in small containers. If you have a small cooler, you can bring that and ask the room steward to keep it filled with ice to keep the open containers cold during your trip.

Good luck.

ROFL!! Very good!

I also do not think the mini fridge is cold enough for milk but im almost positive the ship will accommodate anything for you. The restaurants on the breakaway always asked about dietary concerns. I would think it would fall under that category on any ship.

Safe travels

You're not going to get organic anything. It will be easy to get whole milk though.

As far as the mini fridge, they don't get cold enough or stay cold enough to keep milk safely cold. The refrigerators in the rooms keep things just barely cold. More like cool.

When my DD was little and we needed the whole milk, I went to Whole Foods and bought the shelf-stable Organic Valley whole milk (the only one I can find from horizon are all low-fat - 2% or 1% type). Unfortunately, that meant getting them in the quart-sized tetrapaks, but then I just put them in the mini-fridge after opening them (had the room steward empty the fridge upon arrival in the room).

Now, when we travel, since my DD still likes her milk all the time,

we just bring the Horizon, Organic Valley or Costco milk in the juice-box sized boxes. Yes, it means 1 heavy luggage full of milk, but then she's happy when we go on excursions, etc.