EPIC Haven 2 bedroom Family Suite

asubaru

My 41-year-old daughter and I are going on the Epic in about a month and I am thinking about upgrading us to this Haven Villa as a huge splurge. We typically have just regular balcony cabins, and this time we are in an aft-facing one on deck 10. But we haven't taken a cruise together, just the two of us, in 19 years, and I want it to be special and memorable. We've been to all of the ports many times before and I doubt we will even get off the ship all week. For us, this time, the ship is the destination.

I've read all of your previous posts and understand about the preferred locations, but since we have never had a true suite before with butler and concierge service, this is where I need your guidance. We are generous tippers but we are not wealthy by any means. This is truly a splurge for us. Regardless, I want to be generous without going overboard, and I want to show our appreciation to all who will be serving us that week. I am used to paying the required gratuities in advance and I always give extra to our steward (and others). But would some of you please give me some guidance about what is expected here regarding the steward, assistant steward, butler and concierge? I know tipping is such a personal thing, and it also depends on your personal financial situation, i.e. whether a villa is always a must or whether it's a once-in-a-lifetime splurge.

I don't even know what is the ship's suggested daily gratuity is for the villas per person, or what part is allocated for the villa crew. But what I really want to know is how much extra in addition to the required. And please don't just say "it's up to the individual"..... of course I know that, but I really don't want to be remembered by the crew as being a cheapskate. For instance, is $100 per person EXTRA enough, or should it be $200 per person? Just giving y'all a starting point. Thanks so much!!

The standard line you will read is $10 per person per day for the butler, less than that for the concierge and the same you would normally tip for your steward.

Last year, we never asked our butler for anything extra (he did deliver our daily snacks), but we did call on the concierge for all sorts of things. In addition, the concierge staff went above and beyond for us without us even asking. So, for us, we ended up tipping the concierge more than the butler.

I've been on the Epic in the Haven suites on 16-17 three times now, going for the fourth in a few weeks, so here are my 2 cents on locations and noise considerations:

Convenience:

16th Floor overall. Primarily for access to the courtyard pool and spa, concierge main area where the actual concierge sits (as there is some lounge area on 17, but it is not staffed), bar, Epic Club, etc. - not to mention the main elevators and stairs that access the rest of the ship. If you are staying on 17, the only quick, easy access to 16 is via the stairs, which are adjacent to the main elevators. If you require an elevator between floors, you might find waiting for an elevator each time a bit taxing. Both (the main elevators and stairs) are essentially sandwiched between the concierge lounge and club lounge on 16, or likewise on 17 (sans the club lounge, which doesn't exist on 17).

Uber-convenience:

Starboard rooms 16031 upwards to 16013. Beyond that, if you have elderly guests or are elderly yourself, the hallway might start to get a bit long after a seven day cruise as you walk down to access the lounge, elevators, etc. on a daily basis. Additionally, these rooms offer the quickest access to Posh, which is very simple to get to via the glass elevators inside the Epic lounge. These elevators seem to be rarely used, although I don't know why. They go from 15 (main public pool area, they open just outside the outdoor buffet and near the entrance to the Garden Cafe) to the Epic Lounge on 16 and on to 17, opening up five feet from the chairs at Posh. The elevator is key card accessed for Haven guests, so no worries with traffic. Port side rooms are fine, and as the poster earlier mentioned, that hallway is not travelled as frequently, with the downside that access to the concierge lounge, Epic restaurant, etc. on 16 from that side isn't quite as simple.

Overall:

Perhaps more privacy and less foot traffic can be found towards the bow, but at the expense of a walk down to access everything else. And as others have noted, as the whole area is key card accessed, foot traffic is minimal on both floors. On 17, particularly in the rooms either Starboard or Port, some people will experience noise at certain times of the day as chairs are shuffled or stacked on the public sundeck areas directly above; the lowest numbered and front facing suites don't really experience this noise quite as much it seems, but it depends on traffic overall.

Personal Experience:

17014 - great room overall (as all two bedroom suites are). Access to the main area involved walking down the hallway, through the upper lounge area, down the circular stairs to the main concierge area on 16, then through the key access door to the elevators, bar, restaurant, etc. So it depends on whether this process is something you want to repeat often if you find yourself wanting to go back and forth to different areas and return to your room. Chairs from above scraping across the deck now and again, but nothing significant. I would not hesitate to book this room again.

16009 - another great room overall, save the walk down the hallway that might bother some folks to access the main areas, although there is easy access to the courtyard pool through the bank of sliding doors across from 16015 (if I recall). There is a staff door close by, so there will be service carts hanging around on occasion, but nothing significant.

16023 - pretty much perfect for those who want privacy in their room, but easy access to pretty much everything the Haven offers outside the door. I'd book anything from 16031 to 16013 without any hesitation, although you really can't go wrong on either deck 16 or 17, nor either side of the ship, it's all up to personal preference, and the pluses and minuses of each are somewhat insignificant in the overall context.

FWIW, what I've booked for the upcoming Epic: 16016 and 16023. Essentially "across" from one another, with fairly simple access to each for views port and starboard.

Additional observations of Haven area:

The Courtyard Lounge, while nice, is rather narrow and placed down with walls on four sides. Perfectly fine, but note that if you sun-worship, pay attention to the sun's direction, otherwise, that perfect spot you staked out at 7am will be in the shade from 10am onwards for the balance of the day. Most online deck plans don't really show/highlight the hot tubs and spa areas effectively, which are located in the forward area of the courtyard and are easily accessed from the sliding doors both port and starboard, across from 16015 and 16012 or so, respectively.

Posh is prime for sun-lovers and is generally quieter in some respects than the courtyard lounge/pool area, save the music from the main pool on 15. Again, the online deck plans don't really seem to capture the area, but behind the bar on that level is a set of stairs that opens up to an additional deck with lounge chairs, loungers and daybeds. Although smaller than Posh's main area, it's generally cooler on hot days (more wind) and very quiet.

The Epic Club is always nice and there really isn't a bad seat (save tables close to the double doors to the Courtyard Grill, which can be strange when passengers use the restaurant to get through to the elevators - don't ask). The Courtyard Grill is nice, but not really a courtyard per se - it doesn't seem to get enough traffic. Ditto on the club lounge, which I often enjoy nightly before dinner. It's a great space and finding a seat is never, ever an issue.

I've been on the Epic in the Haven suites on 16-17 three times now, going for the fourth in a few weeks, so here are my 2 cents on locations and noise considerations:

Convenience:

16th Floor overall. Primarily for access to the courtyard pool and spa, concierge main area where the actual concierge sits (as there is some lounge area on 17, but it is not staffed), bar, Epic Club, etc. - not to mention the main elevators and stairs that access the rest of the ship. If you are staying on 17, the only quick, easy access to 16 is via the stairs, which are adjacent to the main elevators. If you require an elevator between floors, you might find waiting for an elevator each time a bit taxing. Both (the main elevators and stairs) are essentially sandwiched between the concierge lounge and club lounge on 16, or likewise on 17 (sans the club lounge, which doesn't exist on 17).

Uber-convenience:

Starboard rooms 16031 upwards to 16013. Beyond that, if you have elderly guests or are elderly yourself, the hallway might start to get a bit long after a seven day cruise as you walk down to access the lounge, elevators, etc. on a daily basis. Additionally, these rooms offer the quickest access to Posh, which is very simple to get to via the glass elevators inside the Epic lounge. These elevators seem to be rarely used, although I don't know why. They go from 15 (main public pool area, they open just outside the outdoor buffet and near the entrance to the Garden Cafe) to the Epic Lounge on 16 and on to 17, opening up five feet from the chairs at Posh. The elevator is key card accessed for Haven guests, so no worries with traffic. Port side rooms are fine, and as the poster earlier mentioned, that hallway is not travelled as frequently, with the downside that access to the concierge lounge, Epic restaurant, etc. on 16 from that side isn't quite as simple.

Overall:

Perhaps more privacy and less foot traffic can be found towards the bow, but at the expense of a walk down to access everything else. And as others have noted, as the whole area is key card accessed, foot traffic is minimal on both floors. On 17, particularly in the rooms either Starboard or Port, some people will experience noise at certain times of the day as chairs are shuffled or stacked on the public sundeck areas directly above; the lowest numbered and front facing suites don't really experience this noise quite as much it seems, but it depends on traffic overall.

Personal Experience:

17014 - great room overall (as all two bedroom suites are). Access to the main area involved walking down the hallway, through the upper lounge area, down the circular stairs to the main concierge area on 16, then through the key access door to the elevators, bar, restaurant, etc. So it depends on whether this process is something you want to repeat often if you find yourself wanting to go back and forth to different areas and return to your room. Chairs from above scraping across the deck now and again, but nothing significant. I would not hesitate to book this room again.

16009 - another great room overall, save the walk down the hallway that might bother some folks to access the main areas, although there is easy access to the courtyard pool through the bank of sliding doors across from 16015 (if I recall). There is a staff door close by, so there will be service carts hanging around on occasion, but nothing significant.

16023 - pretty much perfect for those who want privacy in their room, but easy access to pretty much everything the Haven offers outside the door. I'd book anything from 16031 to 16013 without any hesitation, although you really can't go wrong on either deck 16 or 17, nor either side of the ship, it's all up to personal preference, and the pluses and minuses of each are somewhat insignificant in the overall context.

FWIW, what I've booked for the upcoming Epic: 16016 and 16023. Essentially "across" from one another, with fairly simple access to each for views port and starboard.

Additional observations of Haven area:

The Courtyard Lounge, while nice, is rather narrow and placed down with walls on four sides. Perfectly fine, but note that if you sun-worship, pay attention to the sun's direction, otherwise, that perfect spot you staked out at 7am will be in the shade from 10am onwards for the balance of the day. Most online deck plans don't really show/highlight the hot tubs and spa areas effectively, which are located in the forward area of the courtyard and are easily accessed from the sliding doors both port and starboard, across from 16015 and 16012 or so, respectively.

Posh is prime for sun-lovers and is generally quieter in some respects than the courtyard lounge/pool area, save the music from the main pool on 15. Again, the online deck plans don't really seem to capture the area, but behind the bar on that level is a set of stairs that opens up to an additional deck with lounge chairs, loungers and daybeds. Although smaller than Posh's main area, it's generally cooler on hot days (more wind) and very quiet.

The Epic Club is always nice and there really isn't a bad seat (save tables close to the double doors to the Courtyard Grill, which can be strange when passengers use the restaurant to get through to the elevators - don't ask). The Courtyard Grill is nice, but not really a courtyard per se - it doesn't seem to get enough traffic. Ditto on the club lounge, which I often enjoy nightly before dinner. It's a great space and finding a seat is never, ever an issue.

An excellent review, your description sums it up perfectly

*******snipped a whole manual :-) ******

This info is so valuable to me; can't thank you enough! Suffice it to say, thanks to you and some other posters, I don't need to ask anymore questions regarding location.

I hope you save this and re-post when relevant. It covers so many scenarios and preference variables. Again, thank you!

Just upgraded and the only one left on deck 16 is 16006. I'm sure we will love it and I'm keeping it as a surprise for my daughter. Can't wait!

Many thanks to all of you for the valuable information.

How nice....I'm sure you'll both be happy with the experience(s).