Crown Princess arrival in San Pedro delayed 24 hours

IECalCruiser

Let's say Princess gives you compensation for your extra hotel day and food, and then you turn around and submit your expenses to your insurance. That's double-dipping and insurance fraud. Not saying you'd do this but we both know some would be tempted. Since it's likely people will submit an insurance claim and Princess has no way of knowing who does or doesn't have insurance, it's reasonable for them to assume people do and by submitting a claim, they'll get reimbursed.

IMHO, Princess has been more than reasonable/fair. Not sure what's left to "dicker" over.

How ever if Princess give a partial refund of cruise fare, for the missed day, some OBC and FCC for the inconvenience and does not specifically give money to compensate for additional travel expenses, then it would not be a conflict to file an insurance claim for the actual expenses incurred because of the delay.

I have the princess insurance. Full insurance. Called them and they will not cover this as this is Princess fault and told to contact princess. So I did. They are not giving anything to cover the cost of hotel and food etc. I can not change air....way to expensive. Princess said I get the 50 dollars each and return of one day.

So princess is returning the one day I am losing on the cruise. they have to as we are not getting that day. But now I have to pay for a hotel and transfer and food to hang out at a hotel waiting....Do not have a car....I would rather not spend the money for a hotel room and waiting. So I lose a day on the ship and it will cost me money.

But a life is worth more then my missing a day on the ship but I just think princess should cover this cost. But I understand the reason they had to be delayed and so glad that person is doing well. I would want them to do that for myself or my family

Did you purchase insurance? I know you think Princess should cover your added expenses due to trip delay, but Princess offered you insurance to cover this exact scenario when you booked your cruise; if you declined it (and did not purchase third party insurance) you also implicitly agreed to self-insure. Any added expenses for this trip delay are on you.

if you bought Princess insurance ...it does not cover this....I called. Because it is princess who the problem is with ...meaning not me missing the ship...it is not covered. I have the full on protection and they said no they will not pay for this situation

The fcc credit is good if you can go again. But the credit for missing a day is only giving you back for something you paid for that you are not getting. But now I pay more for hotel etc and I think they should cover that. I do not want to sit around and wait for a day.

if you bought Princess insurance ...it does not cover this....I called. Because it is princess who the problem is with ...meaning not me missing the ship...it is not covered. I have the full on protection and they said no they will not pay for this situation
I'm pretty sure it would have been covered under "trip interruption." You would receive a credit towards a future cruise, not a refund, but it would be covered. Independent insurance would cover hotel and air, if you chose to get insurance for that as well. Edited by Pam in CA

That is important to know mwo125. Third party insurance covers this as a trip delay. Princess vacation protection is not true insurance, and I would have to reconsider my earlier answers. This is clearly a trip delay as defined by most insurance policies, just not by Princess, however. They recently changed their coverages and this is a huge difference.

ETA- I just re-read the coverage document, and it lists common carrier delay as a covered reason. I have been told this includes the cruiseline. Not sure what the phone reps are saying, but this is a listed reason in the 'policy' and there is no mention of excepting a delay by the cruiseline. It may have something to do with the words used on the phone; it would have to be described as trip delay due to common carrier delay and you need a hotel until travel is possible on Sunday. Policy limit is $500 and words in the policy specifically include hotel costs and meals and incidental transportation like taxis. I cannot explain what the phone reps are saying, but this exact situation is listed in the coverage document.

Edited by cherylandtk

Really? First of all, if you have any decent travel insurance coverage, hotel, food and change fees should be covered. If not, well whose fault is that?

BTW, do not assume Princess is insured for all of this. A> there are deductibles, B> they are self-insured for many things and C> we don't know all the little details. Princess will be incurring a LOT of extra charges (fuel, last minute docking charges in both ports, default fee in PV depending on the contract, loss of onboard revenue, costs to change restocking delivery, costs to adjust air for people on board, etc (have not seen what they are getting).

In my mind, just the credit for the missed day is fair enough...

I have decent insurance. Sold by princess...they will not cover this. they said it is a princess issue and take it up with them

That is important to know mwo125. Third party insurance covers this as a trip delay. Princess vacation protection is not true insurance, and I would have to reconsider my earlier answers. This is clearly a trip delay as defined by most insurance policies, just not by Princess, however. They recently changed their coverages and this is a huge difference.

Thank you been on many cruises and never had to use the insurance. Good to know for next time. But this time for me insurance will not cover the cost of hotel, food etc.

I'm pretty sure it would have been covered under "trip interruption." You would receive a credit towards a future cruise, not a refund, but it would be covered. Independent insurance would cover hotel and air, if you chose to get insurance for that as well.

I have the full trip insurance by a third party but sold as the Princess travel protection. The highest coverage available. Called them twice. it is not covered. If I missed the ship it would be covered. But it does not cover if Princess has the delay. So no they will not cover hotel or meals or airfare.

ETA- I just re-read the coverage document, and it lists common carrier delay as a covered reason. I have been told this includes the cruiseline. Not sure what the phone reps are saying, but this is a listed reason in the 'policy' and there is no mention of excepting a delay by the cruiseline.

Why do you say the Princess protection is not true insurance. It is with a third party insurance company. It covers trips delays etc but not when it is the Ships fault in being delayed.

ETA- I just re-read the coverage document, and it lists common carrier delay as a covered reason. I have been told this includes the cruiseline. Not sure what the phone reps are saying, but this is a listed reason in the 'policy' and there is no mention of excepting a delay by the cruiseline. It may have something to do with the words used on the phone; it would have to be described as trip delay due to common carrier delay and you need a hotel until travel is possible on Sunday. Policy limit is $500 and words in the policy specifically include hotel costs and meals and incidental transportation like taxis. I cannot explain what the phone reps are saying, but this exact situation is listed in the coverage document.

That is totally what I thought. I read the policy. And he was well aware of what is going on as he had many calls. But he said this is not covered. So called again and talked to someone else and got told the same things. I even referenced the policy. I will try them again. I even called princess over this

Disclaimer - I am a passenger on the delayed cruise and the agent who booked myself and the rest of my group on this particular cruise.

I have a feeling my opinion is in the minority but I feel the compensation is fair. Yes, it is an inconvenience but the per diem refund is for the loss of the day. If you have 2 people in a cabin, the assumption is you would also book a hotel together.There are plenty of hotels at LAX for around $125 per night. It is not at all where I would choose to stay BUT if you are concerned with the cost, why stay somewhere more expensive?

Also, I'm not sure why the customer service rep at Princess said no change, I had a personal email along with the agent email time stamped 5:50PM EST. I called Princess at 7:20PM and spoke with 2 different agents who were very helpful and knew everything about the delay etc. I actually even called back and requested to know if this was some sort of communicable disease since we are traveling with infants and children. I am a bit perplexed by how that would even be possible.

The whole thing is presenting an inconvenience to my trip and to my vacation but I would gladly take on the minor hassle (even if I now have to fed myself a meal or juggle my plans) if that could help someone else in their moment of need.

That is totally what I thought. I read the policy. And he was well aware of what is going on as he had many calls. But he said this is not covered. So called again and talked to someone else and got told the same things. I even referenced the policy. I will try them again. I even called princess over this
I would go ahead and file the claim; the words in the document do not exclude this situation no matter what the phone rep says. If your claim is denied you should file for a secondary review. It is a pain, and many people just give up, but that could be the goal of the claims reviewer. They have to give you a written reason to deny your claim, and so far the 'reasons' given by the phone rep don't do that. Nowhere does it exclude the cruiseline itself from the common carrier delays. They cannot just add it in now.

As for 'real' insurance, only the part of the vacation protection plan that is underwritten by the insurance company, which is the medical portion, is real insurance and thus subject to state's department of insurance review. That's why they call it vacation protection plan and not vacation insurance plan.

Thank you I will do that. I am not upset the cruise is delayed at all as I am happy they went to the lengths to save a life. Thank you for you help. I was not giving up. I am still going to talk more to Princess Customer service also> THanks again

Thank you so very much

I used tripinsurancestore.com as well. Chose the policy with Travel Insured International".

I called them today, a nice woman explained that this is a COVERED travel delay, I can start a claim as soon as saturday. All I need to do is keep all receipts and submit with the claim form and the email from princess.

The cover up to $200 for the 24hr delay per insured. Reimbursement for, ground transport, food, lodging, and incidentals. So if both parties are insured this should cover most expenses.

GLAD I BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE!!!

Edited by jgeorgeBNA

Are there people on this site that are on the next cruise now embarking on Sunday that booked ALL of their trip Directly with Princess, including flights/transfers/hotels and cruise?

If so....What has been your experience?......Have Princess sorted out everything for you or have you had to do it yourself?

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

Let's say Princess gives you compensation for your extra hotel day and food, and then you turn around and submit your expenses to your insurance. That's double-dipping and insurance fraud. Not saying you'd do this but we both know some would be tempted. Since it's likely people will submit an insurance claim and Princess has no way of knowing who does or doesn't have insurance, it's reasonable for them to assume people do and by submitting a claim, they'll get reimbursed.

IMHO, Princess has been more than reasonable/fair. Not sure what's left to "dicker" over.

When the Princess-promoted insurance that some so loudly stated we should have had (and did) kicks in we'll talk. Anything else we should have had that has proved ineffective, but our failure to get it causes mockery and schadenfreude? I have MedJet assist too. How many insurance policies should I carry?

And communication has been a problem. Princess sat on this for 24 hours, even after it had been confirmed on this site using independent web sites (i.e., port of LA). We got two almost identical emails, two days ago. It is now Thursday morning. Princess said in the email that the situation is subject to change. An update would be nice. We don't know the revised itinerary, we don't know when to show up to board. We're 72 hours out.

I am sure that Princess has its hands full with the debarking passengers, and this could have been worse. For example, this could have been a place where fairly reasonable hotel rooms were hard to come by.

And all the implications have not been spelled out. As i recall, you get less OBC for a 6 day than for a 7 day on the FCD. Princess has shown itself to be most parsimonious (that is, cheap) on this so far. They gonna cut our OBC too? Do we get credit for the 7th night on our Captain's Circle account? Some people are trying to get to 151.

It may be easy to lounge back and observe the troubles of others, but these are real concerns to me. And I don't think Princess has addressed it fully.

My heartfelt best wishes for the ill crewman, included lest I be called heartless.

Has anyone heard if there is in fact Noro-Virus on board?

"In fact"? What indication has there been? The only issue I'd heard was the crew member appendicitis.

BTW, we were booked on the South Pacific cruise until my wife was diagnosed with a medical condition we needed to address, and hence cancelled a week before the sail date. We still have four friends aboard.

And I'll comment on another issue that's been brought up here. We are also Elite, and have found that Princess always goes the extra mile to take good care of their customers. That's why we got to Elite, and that's why we plan to continue to sail with them.

Ray

Has anyone heard if there is in fact Noro-Virus on board?

A passenger on the current cruise came on to our roll call and indicated that there was also a Noro problem that they are dealing with.

So we'll how that all plays out with embarkation.

As for the insurance, when I called Princess and asked about keeping receipts for added expenses, she told me to, but only IF there was Vacation Protection.

All the other responses now have me wondering............

I have the princess insurance. Full insurance. Called them and they will not cover this as this is Princess fault and told to contact princess. So I did. They are not giving anything to cover the cost of hotel and food etc. I can not change air....way to expensive. Princess said I get the 50 dollars each and return of one day.

So princess is returning the one day I am losing on the cruise. they have to as we are not getting that day. But now I have to pay for a hotel and transfer and food to hang out at a hotel waiting....Do not have a car....I would rather not spend the money for a hotel room and waiting. So I lose a day on the ship and it will cost me money.

But a life is worth more then my missing a day on the ship but I just think princess should cover this cost. But I understand the reason they had to be delayed and so glad that person is doing well. I would want them to do that for myself or my family

There not charging you for the 1 day you missed on the cruise put that towards the extra nights room. Should come still with some left over.