GAPearl Goes Solo on the Splendor! 11/1/14 SJU-MIA Repo Cruise Review.

gapearl

After eating, the three of us ordered some drinks, locked up and went to get in the water. Sean went pretty far out but I stayed close to the shore. Sean said you haven't come far out enough in the water. My response? Oh yes I have! My weave has had enough torture this week and I'm NOT getting it wet today. The lady standing close by heard me say this and we engaged in a fun 10 minute weave conversation about our favorite types of hair. I prefer the Malaysian hair, but she said try Russian hair. That's gonna go over most of y'alls heads, but some of you will appreciate it. lol

I love this picture. haha

b262e3bb-923e-4b5e-acb2-76ae00dfaf7a_zpsec2dd5d9.jpg

7faed312-bd56-4bca-adb0-30719b06197c_zpsc810d6c5.jpg

It was getting close to time to head back to the ship. On our way back to the cabana to get our things we stopped by Margaritaville to hang out for a few minutes. The DJ was asking for contestants for the booty shaking competition that was about to begin. About 20 people from the group were there and everyone was encouraging me to enter. NO. There are wayyyyyyy too many camera phones out here. The first couple of contestants went and were pretty bad. Everyone kept saying Kim, get up there.

NO.

Finally after all 5 girls had their turn, the DJ called me out. I guess he noticed everyone trying to get me out there, and next thing I knew I heard "YOU IN THE BLUE BIKINI, GET UP HERE." I was VERY hesitant but went up anyways since everyone started cheering. The DJ played and oldie but goodie, Back That A@# Up, so, I got to work.

"Give it up for the only black girl that can't dance!"

Oh no he didn't! I got more cheers than any of the other girls! I happen to think my booty shaking ability is just fine (thanks ZUMBA and Daddy Yankee). Sean said he enjoyed it. haha I've even had gay guys a time or two admire and compliment my booty shaking. Everyone afterwards was saying I was definitely the best, so that DJ can go run with scissors or play in traffic. If he was a chick I'd suggest he go have his monthly misery in a shark tank. It was all in good fun though. He was still better than DJ Focus on the ship and it would have been nice to bring him onboard for our last two nights in the club. I certainly hope all those people with cameras hit delete before they hit post. :o

46de422d-0509-40fb-8a51-6374799f075f_zps785d74b5.jpg

590acc20-3d01-45eb-8d2c-ba866d0c8365_zps115d52c2.jpg

I stopped by duty free to get a bottle of rum and I made it on the ship with it with no problem at all. It was another great day at Grand Turk. There was even a manatee at the ship to say goodbye as we were coming back onboard.

e9bba05f-b439-421b-aee7-48b667b0fdfd_zps50887bab.jpg

A manatee way out there in Grand Turk. I bet that is quite rare. And I'm sure your booty shaking was the best one there

Yay!! Another GAPearl review!!

I'm not a Southern gal, but even I know that what's pictured above couldn't possibly be cornbread!

What's that on top? Looks like the onions found on an onion roll.

Just got off Carnival Freedom--entertainment was great, finally, after "blah" the last couple cruises, but Carnival really needs to get their food act back together.

Carnival food was very good 2002 to 2008-ish. Now I've been sailing other lines more recently, partly due to the declining Carnival food product.

Anyway, Love the review!!

As always.

Your commentary has had me in stitches!!

Hey there! Glad you're so entertained!

The food in general was good, but the quality sometimes wasn't the best. Being a picky eater, I'm not hard to please as long as I have something chicken with something green and some potatoes. The tandoor on the lido was great but the MDR was a slight miss a couple of times.

Great review Gapearl. You are a superwoman! Your yest for living life is turnt up!:D

Turn down for what? :D

Kim, Franny here. It was great to meet and hang with you. I'm glad I was able to make your Wednesdays a little better. The pics continue on the Liberty page. We did have a great roll call and lots of great people. The Troubleifics need you so Hopefully you'll change your mind and join us again for the reunion.

Loving the review. I've been away from Cruise Critic for a few days so I'll definately have to catch up. You had some great excursions and beautiful pics. Thanks for helping me relive the cruise.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving

PS-Naked Johnnie sends his love

Hey Franny! Guess I need to go join the Liberty page! You never know, I could change my mind and join you all. Tell Johnnie I said hello. Happy Thanksgiving to you guys as well!

6,000 feet drop off?!? Good Lord that is terrifying! The pics from the helicopter ride are great, I went on a helicopter over the chicagoland area and thought that was cool, I would love to do one over the ocean! You got some awesome views of the ship from up there

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bet that is a bit scary to see that much of a drop off up close but the pictures from the wall online are incredible. If I do another helicopter in the future it'll probably be over the Grand Canyon.

What a great excursion! The pics of the blues and greens of the water are so beautiful. Now, I know you like to kick it up a notch, so maybe you want to add this to your excursion bucket list: helicopter ride with doors off! We did that in Hawaii. Scary as all get out, but so fun!

I would so do that! I've been thinking of going back to Hawaii anyways so consider this added to my list.

One Word.....WOW. That is absolutely beautiful. We will be back in Grand Cayman in May. I just booked the Carnival Glory. How much was the helicopter ride and are there different routes to choose from. I noticed on that map that you had showed different ones to choose from

The ride was $119. There's only one route that circles the entire island. You should do it!

A manatee way out there in Grand Turk. I bet that is quite rare. And I'm sure your booty shaking was the best one there

It was pretty cool seeing the manatee. Security kept yelling at everyone to back up but no one paid them any attention. There was no way we weren't going to get a picture of him! And yes it was. :p

hey Kim - love the zebra dress!

Hope you don't mind my sharing this pic here, since I don't do reviews. :p Hubby found this shell snorkeling in Grand Turk down by the 'conch beach' and his inner photographer came out. :D Feel free to use as computer wallpaper. :)

ry%3D400

Kim, looks like you had a blast!! When I was a single girl, I loved solo vacationing. To bad I hadn't discovered cruising yet. I could have fun in an insurance seminar, you just have to make the fun!! I loved the pics and especially, the adventures!

Thursday, November 6

Cruise Day 6- Fun Day At Sea

As much as I wanted to get up and go work out today, I decided to let my body rest and slept in a little. I had done something active every day for the last 5 days, especially the day before in Dominica, and figured I had earned this break. I was up at 8:30 am to take a shower and head up to the lido deck for the morning. I made it poolside an hour later and there were still plenty of chairs free, but by 10 am they were all taken by the chair hogs. I saw chairs with towels and no bodies stay empty for much longer than the allowed 40 minutes. None of the pool activities had started yet so I ordered a mocha chocolate getaway and drifted off into La La Land.

6eb4ea3c-12c1-46ad-b1dd-35e47d9ba8ec_zps9f8ea6a6.jpg

d62dafba-32c2-4ec1-9336-4dd8f57b6a6a_zps5531920a.jpg

91f73203-1330-491d-b336-11a7912bbfa6_zps67386867.jpg

eebf2b9e-c802-4e26-84a9-53f950c274c0_zps2af4463e.jpg

At noon I was up again, hungry and ready to eat. I went to the rotisserie grill, which is upstairs in the aft of the lido buffet. Well well well, what do we have here?

b855f6a5-da0a-4d4d-8281-6b9ed1d2f8ed_zpsa9fcb1d6.jpg

For those of you reading one of my reviews for the first time, you really have to read the others to appreciate the significance of this. I'm a southern girl that has become quite appalled and slightly offended at what Carnival tries to pass off as cornbread.

This. Is. Still. Not. Cornbread.

d6248917-b83c-433a-88d3-fabc968e1e89_zps10b49c89.jpg

My 10 year plan is officially changing because I've decided to go to culinary school. Forget the fact that my student loans will be paid off in the next 9 months. Sallie Mae and I are about to start all over in a new relationship. When I graduate from culinary school, I'll be applying for a job with Carnival Cruise Lines as a cook. I'll be trading my spacious three bedroom 1,700 square foot house that I have all to myself for a tiny shoe box cabin on a ship with a roommate. I'll start in the kitchen peeling the potatoes if I have to and work my way up to head chef from there. When I become head chef, not only will I be changing that dreadful curry chicken recipe from what I had yesterday, but I will be changing the cornbread recipe as well. If this is what I have to do to get Carnival to stop serving fake cornbread then so be it. If you can just be a little patient with me while I set out to accomplish this, you should be able to have some real cornbread on your cruise around 2024. It'll be worth the wait though, I promise.

Loving your review. I feel the same way about their Ice Tea and Scrambled eggs. Never tried the cornbread but will have to try it in February on my next cruise.

Thursday, November 6

Cruise Day 6- Fun Day At Sea

As much as I wanted to get up and go work out today, I decided to let my body rest and slept in a little. I had done something active every day for the last 5 days, especially the day before in Dominica, and figured I had earned this break. I was up at 8:30 am to take a shower and head up to the lido deck for the morning. I made it poolside an hour later and there were still plenty of chairs free, but by 10 am they were all taken by the chair hogs. I saw chairs with towels and no bodies stay empty for much longer than the allowed 40 minutes. None of the pool activities had started yet so I ordered a mocha chocolate getaway and drifted off into La La Land.

6eb4ea3c-12c1-46ad-b1dd-35e47d9ba8ec_zps9f8ea6a6.jpg

d62dafba-32c2-4ec1-9336-4dd8f57b6a6a_zps5531920a.jpg

91f73203-1330-491d-b336-11a7912bbfa6_zps67386867.jpg

eebf2b9e-c802-4e26-84a9-53f950c274c0_zps2af4463e.jpg

At noon I was up again, hungry and ready to eat. I went to the rotisserie grill, which is upstairs in the aft of the lido buffet. Well well well, what do we have here?

b855f6a5-da0a-4d4d-8281-6b9ed1d2f8ed_zpsa9fcb1d6.jpg

For those of you reading one of my reviews for the first time, you really have to read the others to appreciate the significance of this. I'm a southern girl that has become quite appalled and slightly offended at what Carnival tries to pass off as cornbread.

This. Is. Still. Not. Cornbread.

d6248917-b83c-433a-88d3-fabc968e1e89_zps10b49c89.jpg

My 10 year plan is officially changing because I've decided to go to culinary school. Forget the fact that my student loans will be paid off in the next 9 months. Sallie Mae and I are about to start all over in a new relationship. When I graduate from culinary school, I'll be applying for a job with Carnival Cruise Lines as a cook. I'll be trading my spacious three bedroom 1,700 square foot house that I have all to myself for a tiny shoe box cabin on a ship with a roommate. I'll start in the kitchen peeling the potatoes if I have to and work my way up to head chef from there. When I become head chef, not only will I be changing that dreadful curry chicken recipe from what I had yesterday, but I will be changing the cornbread recipe as well. If this is what I have to do to get Carnival to stop serving fake cornbread then so be it. If you can just be a little patient with me while I set out to accomplish this, you should be able to have some real cornbread on your cruise around 2024. It'll be worth the wait though, I promise.

I knew I forgot to pack something in my luggage. Forgot to bring the box of Jiffy Cornbread. Me & my sister both shook our heads when we saw that.

I always have trouble getting past Margaritaville when we visit Grand Turk [emoji12][emoji12]

Mmmhmmm, you entering the contest too? ;) lol

hey Kim - love the zebra dress!

Hope you don't mind my sharing this pic here, since I don't do reviews. :p Hubby found this shell snorkeling in Grand Turk down by the 'conch beach' and his inner photographer came out. :D Feel free to use as computer wallpaper. :)

ry%3D400

Nope I don't mind at all. Thanks for sharing it. I've never walked down that other way on the beach and will need to do so next time I'm here.

Great review as usual Kim! Looks like you've been on a shopping spree for all those gorgeous dresses. That emerald green is to die for.

Thanks so much! The cruise shopping started back in February and went on all year. :o

I love Topher! And Jack's Shack! And Turks & Caicos! LOL

Honestly...I want Topher's life...That dog has it made!

He is definitely one pampered pet that is living the dream!

Kim, looks like you had a blast!! When I was a single girl, I loved solo vacationing. To bad I hadn't discovered cruising yet. I could have fun in an insurance seminar, you just have to make the fun!! I loved the pics and especially, the adventures!

I think I discovered cruising at the perfect age (27). I always try to have fun no matter what and I never meet a stranger. :)

Loving your review. I feel the same way about their Ice Tea and Scrambled eggs. Never tried the cornbread but will have to try it in February on my next cruise.

Be sure to report back on how you liked the cornbread after you try it. :D lol

I knew I forgot to pack something in my luggage. Forgot to bring the box of Jiffy Cornbread. Me & my sister both shook our heads when we saw that.

Can't ever go wrong with Jiffy! :D

Kim, we were at Margaritaville during the booty shaking contest and you were working it! When the DJ said that, everyone in the pool did a collective W-T-F?!?!?!?

Geri

Haha I should have won! Apparently no one agreed with him. I just laughed it off. :p

Enjoying your review. People please quit quoting the whole post to comment.

Thanks for reading! I think people are quoting the post when they have a comment about something specific. I do the same thing sometimes when reading someone else's review. No worries. :)

Saturday, November 8

Cruise Day 8- Fun Day At Sea

Let's see if I can stay awake long enough to finish this TONIGHT!

Last night we finally observed daylight savings on the ship and got an extra hour of sleep from setting our clocks back an hour. I went to the gym and limped out, sore and sweaty from an intense hour and 20 minutes workout, followed by a much needed recovery in the sauna. The first sea day was the only day all cruise that I didn't do something active. Every day I either went to the gym or did an active excursion. I know some people take a break from their exercise routine on vacation but not me. It's important for me to stay fit and prevent gaining too much weight, especially when on a ship with a full state of the art workout facility. I usually put in an hour and a half to two hours at my gym, so the 45 minute workouts I put in earlier in the week were actually a break for me. lol

Some pictures of the gym.

2c258c5f-2b91-4aa4-ae2c-b069eb771089_zps0d513b84.jpg

0a79c4a4-237e-4321-baed-515d21e0c689_zps054d5fad.jpg

39dcffe5-b769-47e3-a889-b82cb46c1280_zps193ad1f7.jpg

ffe42f8b-71b3-4ce4-b380-6fd4811c5fc5_zpscbece617.jpg

41de6e9c-b788-4d8f-9019-aec8a8536bc3_zps7c1228f2.jpg

d5fda405-15e6-455b-ba7a-12d455c70c1b_zpsda745da4.jpg

After showering I headed to the Gold Pearl Restaurant for the sea day brunch. There was a huge mob of people in the lobby (more on them in a minute) and I thought there was a wait for a table, but there was not. I asked to be seated at a large table with others and got placed with these two really cool couples from Orlando I ran into all week, so it was nice to finally get to know them. One couple were gold VIFP members, and the other couple were first timers on Carnival after sailing Disney and Royal Caribbean.

fca7f6f4-4e6e-4531-9b12-1f3a2dfefb10_zps8abec782.jpg

785106e6-4c62-4439-a44d-eef5bbb86d0d_zps20b2f753.jpg

Sadly, the brunch was a series of epic failures. :(

Epic fail #1. We were served a basket of rolls that were hard and cold. Normally at brunch, you're served a basket of assorted warm pastries. I figured this was something new and didn't even bother asking for them. As I was leaving later, I noticed the pastries on another table. Not only do they still have them, but we were never offered them.

Epic fail #2. Three of us wanted to use our free drink coupon. Perhaps all the drink servers jumped overboard or got left behind in Grand Turk because none were to be found. My waiter said he would send over a drink server, but no one ever came by. Eventually I did see a couple as they walked by with trays of already full drinks and it was impossible to get their attention. After 30 minutes, someone finally came by to take our drink orders, but it was another 30 minutes after that when we got our drinks. We were done eating by the time they came.

Epic fail #3. All five of us were missing something when our food was delivered. I ordered a stack of pancakes, two orders of hash browns, and two orders of chicken sausage. I was brought only one order of hash browns and chicken sausage. Two at the table ordered the pork chops and the menu said served it was served with beans and fries. When my new friend next to me asked our server for them, he was very confused and said it didn't come with it. He and his wife were like I KNOW we both saw beans and fries on the menu. He brought over a menu and both of us pointed to where it said served with beans and fries, yet the waiter still wanted to debate it. I mean really? How can you debate us when the menu clearly says this is what comes with it? When the fries finally made it, no ketchup was offered. It took a good 20 minutes for all of us to receive everything that we were missing. On the plus side, the food was good.

7d67ecee-90d4-4487-b89f-f44754497ad6_zps73acff9f.jpg

Epic fail #4. We were never checked on. Basically our food was just dropped off and our server disappeared. Three of us didn't have utensils when our food came. We were never offered anything extra, such as more juice or dessert. The only time we were able to get anything was to flag down the next passing waiter and ask him for it. I don't believe at all that our guy disappeared to the crew area for a cigarette break and to work on a sudoku puzzle. He was clearly very overwhelmed. There was an obvious disconnect with the crew working the brunch today. Service did not flow well at all. I'm not sure if maybe there was a large crew change either this cruise or the last one and maybe the new people just haven't clicked with each other yet, but that was all I could come up with as an excuse for them.

Epic fail #5. The free drink coupons.

06bd143b-4001-4187-aa62-4cf8c2b84fdb_zps34fc9824.jpg

Remember when I said there was a large crowd of people at the entrance of the Gold Pearl? Well the crowd was even bigger when I left, about 25 people. Turns out those people were just there to place an order with a drink server taking care of those in the lobby that didn't want to come in to eat. I think this is partly why drink service in the MDR itself was soooo slow. This is one policy Carnival should really consider changing. A free drink is a free drink. Why do I have to use it in the dining room for breakfast or lunch? Why can't I use it in there for dinner? Why can't I use it at the pool bar or in the club? I get that it's their policy and I'm grateful that they choose to offer me anything for free, but they make getting that free drink difficult and service ends up slacking all the way around as it did today. So has anyone written John Heald about this, or do I have to be the one to do it? I know I can't be the only one that feels this way about those coupons.

To sum up brunch in a nutshell, it was a TRAIN WRECK. I felt really bad for the couple that was sailing Carnival for the first time, as this among other things left a sour taste in their mouth and they were not left with an overall positive first impression.

Edited by gapearl

After brunch I went to the Pixels photo gallery to buy a few pictures, guest services to check on my sail and sign account balance, and then I roamed the ship for a bit taking pictures.

This is the first cruise where I noticed the photographers take candid shots of you as you exit the ship. I had a few like the one on the right.

51b39b02-fc05-4ed9-9a65-f1cb3e78bfa3_zpsdfb3ac06.jpg

The candy store. You can order specialty cakes or buy flowers in here too.

13b7b385-677a-4ba1-bf62-f77a272fc296_zpsf15004bd.jpg

fc5e6634-d8e9-428b-9a58-990c23501926_zpsbcd17fe0.jpg

c432b82a-8f17-4633-bb37-24de4912ff4f_zps1277c570.jpg

fc8e9150-34aa-400a-85f9-5e829f730915_zps1f700049.jpg

Dr. Seuss books in the gift shop.

28e35416-005f-435a-9cfb-c4339f9fce93_zpseb25a67f.jpg

This is the first review of yours that I have read and have really enjoyed it. I will be going to search for your past ones and I am sure enjoying them also. I let my husband pick our next cruise and he chose The Sunshine which I have been on but not him. He chose this for the ports. All new to him, my first Sunshine was my first solo. 11 nights and I did visit St Thomas. We will be visiting San Juan for the first time and I thought maybe you could suggest something to so there. I saw pictures on Trip Advisor of private tours that took people to waterfalls and were able to swim in them in the rain forest. This looks awesome. Also want to see the beautiful rock formations on the seaside cliffs. We will be there from 8 to 6. Not really a museum or fort type person. Any advise you have would be appreciated. Other ports are St Thomas, St Martaan, Grand Turk.:)

Edited by CrimsonTideGal