Excursions suitable for a rollator on Island Princess Panama Canal cruise

fearless cat

I've been trying to select excursions for the ports on the December 7 cruise. Many are labeled as NOT handicap accessible. I am not wheelchair bound but use a rollater ( a walker on wheels & with a seat). Does that mean I can only take handicap accessible tours?

Any help you can give is appreciated.:confused:

It really depends on your personal abilities. For example you would be fine but slow in Cartagena, but the streets and walks may be uneven, some can handle that better than others, and the pace will be designed for people with full mobility.

For Limon, a lot of the tours are walking intensive as well.

Personally, I would probably consider those first and if none of those meets your needs even consider something private. One thing to point out that its very possible despite your best efforts you may slow down a tour not designed to handle special mobility needs.

I've been trying to select excursions for the ports on the December 7 cruise. Many are labeled as NOT handicap accessible. I am not wheelchair bound but use a rollater ( a walker on wheels & with a seat). Does that mean I can only take handicap accessible tours?

Any help you can give is appreciated.:confused:

A few comments regarding Panama:

Only those passengers that are on Princess Tours are permitted to disembark in Gatun Lake. No private tours at this location. Passengers are tendered to a yacht club where the tour is waiting. Passengers that stay on board in Gatun Lake will transit back through the canal where the ship will dock at Colon. You can exit the ship there and shop around in a large warehouse facility.

Tours that go to the Embera Indian Villages require that you climb into a dugout canoe which is pulled up onto the shore. Walking in the village is on uneven dirt ground which can be steep in some areas, and when we were there wet and muddy. Review all the Princess options for this port in the cruise personlizer. There are other tour options which do not require much walking.

You should ask this on the appropriate port of call forums. That said, in Cartagena I strongly recommend Lee Miles - he did a great job.

If you back search on my name you should find my excursion reviews from 2011. JJ is out of business I believe.

Thank you, everyone, for your help. There's so much we want to see and do.

Can anyone recommend private tour companies in any of these ports?

Hi -- My husband and I are also doing the Panama Canal cruise and like you, I also use a rollator. When we started trying to choose excursions to go on we discovered there are few choices that don't require a lot of walking. I am able to walk but have a bad back so have to rest periodically. We picked out some excursions that didn't look too bad and called Princess. Long story short they said in Panama we could do the Monkey and Wildlife Nature Cruise. In Limon we're doing the Tortuguero Canal Cruise and Banana Plantation. We will not be able to do the Banana Plantation because with all the rain it may be muddy. And the only other one we choose was in Ocho Rios doing Dunn's River Falls View, Coyaba Gardens and Shopping. On this excursion they said I should book the handicap excursion and my husband should book the abled body one, but we'd be on the same bus. If you check out Detailed Itinerary it will tell you how many yards it takes to get from one place to another. For instance if it says 100 yards, that's how big a football field is. I didn't know that. Hope this helps a little and that you enjoy your cruise.

Cathy