For those with sensitive pierced ears

I saw several people mention this in the jewelry thread below and thought I'd throw out some info here. What you most likely have is a nickel allergy. I was always able to wear any kind of jewelry, but after my ears were pierced, everything gave me an itchy rash. A few years back I investigated and learned that about half the people that pierce their ears wind up developing an allergy to nickel. Has something to do with body chemistry, not much is known about why it happens. You can wear jewelry, but you must ensure that it contains no nickel. Sterling silver does not contain nickel (except if it is coated with rhodium - the rodium DOES contain nickel). Yellow gold, at least 12kt, is supposed to have a low level of nickel that will not bother most allergics. However, I cannot wear 12kt, I have to wear 14kt or above. White gold is out - it does contain a high level of nickel, no matter what the kt. Stainless steel has nickel, but is made in such a way that the nickel is chemically bonded inside, and will not leach out, so stainless steel is safe. Titanium is nickel-free also. You will see many watches advertised as "Titanium - nickel free".

I can't even wear watchbands that have a metal buckle on the strap - it will eat up my wrist within a couple of hours. For years I have had to wear a Casio all-resin watch, or I have a very dressing sterling watch - but I have longed for something in-between. I have finally found a watch brand that makes all-titanim watches - right down to the buckle, (Boccia) that has nice-looking models.

Anyway - just thought this info might help some of you in your jewelry purchases.

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I have that same allergy. I have aways gotten that awful itchy "chinese rot" rash from certain jewelery. I can only wear gold that is 14 caret or higher, stainless steel, platinum or titanium. I can also wear silver. I did try to coat the jewelery with nail polish to put a protective layer between the base metal and my skin. Sorry to say, it didn't work. I find this is true for earrings, watches, bracelets, necklaces and bracelets. The itchy, oozy rash will drive you to distraction. Also, be careful with watches, if the stem or the case is base metal, you will get the rash.

Sorry I can't bring you good news. Unless you look at it this way, all of your jewelery will be really good jewelry and last forever.

Linda

Thanks for listening

Hi! I have the same problem with earrings. I've tried the ones sold in stores that advertise as "nickel free, hypoallergenic." What they don't mention is that although the post is nickle free, the actual earring isn't.

Anyway below is a link to a company that sells jewelery that works for me, no irritation. Hope it helps!

http://www.simplywhispers.com

Lisa

Lisa

lah, simplywhisper's is a god-send for me. I used to get horrible infections from my earrings. Didn't matter if they cost $1 or $100 my ears would get red, itchy & infected. I saw a magazine ad years ago for a free pair of the Whisper's and decided to try them. They were great! I have been wearing them for years now and have not had any more problems. They also have watches, rings, necklaces, all nickle free. I am lucky that I can wear any other kind of jewelery, it's just the earrings I had problems with.

Karen

Halloween on the Serenade

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;10;30;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived