Just Received This From RCI

I just got this email a few hours ago About our recent Queensland Cruise:

(This is an important message regarding your recent cruise.

Dear Sir/Madam

An adult passenger on the Rhapsody of the Sea cruise ship which departed Sydney on 28 October 2014 and returned on 8 November 2014 has been diagnosed with meningococcal disease. This letter is for the information of other passengers who travelled on the same cruise.

Meningococcal infection is caused by bacteria that are carried, usually harmlessly, in the nose and throat by up to 10% of people. However, occasionally carriers may pass it on to others who have been in close contact with them. Only a very small number of people in contact with ‘carriers’ develop meningococcal disease. If this does happen, it may take up to ten days for symptoms to develop.

The bacteria are difficult to spread and are only passed from person to person by regular close, prolonged contact. Contact with saliva from the front of the mouth, teeth or lips rarely spreads the bacteria on.

Only people who have been in close contact with a meningococcal case are recommended to take special antibiotics to clear the bacteria from the back of the throat. These people include household contacts, those who have stayed overnight in the house (or in this case, the same cabin) in the seven days before the person became unwell, and other intimate contacts. The ‘clearance’ antibiotics recommended do not treat the disease in a person who is already developing the infection.

All those people known to have had close contact with the case have been identified and are being followed up by public health officials separately.

Because you have not been identified as a close contact with a case, it is not necessary for you to take any antibiotic medication. You do not need to avoid contact with family members or children, and do not need to be isolated or excluded from school or work.

While the risk of developing infection is very low, it is important to seek medical advice immediately if you develop any of the symptoms of meningococcal disease (these are listed below) or are otherwise unwell. Please take this letter with you if you need to see your doctor or the emergency department of a hospital.

The symptoms of meningococcal disease to look out for include a combination of:

•Sudden onset of fever

•Sore joints and muscles

•Nausea and vomiting

•Headache

•Neck stiffness

•Dislike of bright lights

•Tiredness

•A pin-prick rash may appear anywhere on the skin; this can quickly change into large red-purple blotches. Usually this rash does not disappear when light pressure is applied to the skin. Sometimes a rash does not appear at all.

•Very early symptoms may include leg pain, cold hands and feet and abnormal skin colour.

Even if you have had a meningococcal vaccine you still need to look out for symptoms, because the vaccines don’t protect against all meningococcal strains.

A fact sheet that contains more detail about meningococcal disease is attached or available at: http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/Meningococcal_disease.aspx

Please contact your local Public Health Unit if you have any further questions on meningococcal disease. In NSW your local public health unit can be reached at 1300 066 055.

If you are unwell, do not wait to call the Public Health Unit – it is important to see a doctor immediately.

Yours sincerely

Dr Vicky Sheppeard

Director, Communicable Diseases

Health Protection NSW

NSW Health

13 November 2014)

I'll probably start imagining I have the symptoms.

Rhapsody of the Seas - 28th October 2014

My husband was diagnosed with Meningococcal after we returned from this cruise. Luckily as he had prompt treatment he will recover without any devastating results, though no long term issues have been discussed as yet. We have taken 25 cruises to date, have had the norm - flu, colds and even the Norovirus on a number of occasions.

It is a concern that such a dangerous disease such as meningococcal could be present on a cruise ship and could easily be misdiagnosed. I can’t imagine that a cruise ship would have the facilities to diagnose such contagions, certainly not within the small time frame in which the disease can become life threatening.

All can say is be aware of any illness while travelling and on your return if you do feel unwell take no chances and see your Doctor.

jebo, sorry to hear about this and trust everything works out for your husband and you - what a shock to find out the diagnosis.

We recently had 34N on Rhapsody and thus have some friends in the crew, which makes this even closer to home for us. Our particular friends are on the Activities Team - Patricia (from Espain) and Rina and Baz and Ben.

Take care and here's hoping for a full recovery.

My husband was diagnosed with Meningococcal after we returned from this cruise. Luckily as he had prompt treatment he will recover without any devastating results, though no long term issues have been discussed as yet. We have taken 25 cruises to date, have had the norm - flu, colds and even the Norovirus on a number of occasions.

It is a concern that such a dangerous disease such as meningococcal could be present on a cruise ship and could easily be misdiagnosed. I can’t imagine that a cruise ship would have the facilities to diagnose such contagions, certainly not within the small time frame in which the disease can become life threatening.

All can say is be aware of any illness while travelling and on your return if you do feel unwell take no chances and see your Doctor.

I'm so sorry about this. This is a very serious illness. My DD was diagnosed with Viral Meningitis several years ago. The viral type can not be treated with antibiotics. It just has to run it's course. She was hospitalized and given morphine for 3 days while she recovered. She was most likely bitten by a mosquito that carried the virus. From what I was told the bacterial type is much worse. I'm happy to hear your husband is recovering.

I had several unusual things happen on this cruise. So when I got this email, I really started wondering about RCI and this ship. I loved visiting Australia and really enjoyed Sydney and each port, I am not very impressed with RCI or this ship.:(

Hope hubby is on the mend.

Rumpunchgirl. Not a great way to end your holiday.