Dream or Breeze:Cabin question

rhiannon35

We are considering taking our first Carnival cruise on either the Dream or Breeze in March, after sailing Dis, RC and NCL. I have a couple of questions about cabins and any help is greatly appreciated. Note we are trying to keep costs down on this trip, due to major home repairs:mad:

* We are a family of four, DS is 21 and DD is 12. We used to all stay in one cabin but now that kids are older, have split into two adjoining on our last two cruises. However, for the cruises we're looking at, we can get one balcony for the four of us cheaper than two insides. How are the balcony rooms sizewise?

Our last cruise on NCL Getaway we NEVER could have fit four in a balcony, but we have all shared a cabin comfortably on DIS Magic and Dream. Any cabin advice from past Dream/Breeze cruisers?

* Has anyone stayed in the inside cabins with walkway views? I saw them on one review and they looked like a nice alternative to a balcony -- a pretty isolated walkway just outside your doors, and much cheaper than a balcony.

Any advice is appreciated -- we really would like to try one of these fun ships!

The 4J cabins that you are talking about would be great for the two of you. But I wouldn't put basically 4 adults in one. I feel the same way about the balcony rooms, just not room for 4 comfortably. The balcony rooms are larger then the 4J's, so I would never recommend 4 in a walkway view cabin. I think your best bet would be two of the 4J's. They are so convenient to the outside deck that you wouldn't miss the balcony at all.

We always sail balcony, but this last time we did the 4J's and were not disappointed.

We've had 4 of us in an outside room and it was fine. I am always looking for the best deal, so I would book 4 in an outside or 2 insides. We used to book 4 of us in an inside room, but after having 4 in an outside I will not do that anymore.

I am not sure how the size of an outside compares to a balcony. I think the outside is about the same size as the balcony room and balcony together, which ultimately makes the room a little larger. I am not certain about that though.

A balcony would probably be fine but on both Dream and Breeze I would consider the deluxe ocean view. It's about 220 square feet and has a second bathing room ( bathroom 1 has shower, sink, toilet and bathroom 2 has tub/shower and sink). Makes privacy and dressing a bit easier as well as being the largest cabin that is not a suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

the inside rooms are 185 sq ft.

the balcony rooms are 185 sq ft inside + 35 sq ft balcony = 220 sq ft

the oceanview rooms are 220 sq ft, which is the same as balcony inside area + balcony - they have the same footprint.

the 4j rooms are also listed as 185 sq ft - but they have the window and easy access to the 'secret deck' and a window to the same. if you go the inside route, that'd be my recommendation no doubt.

i'd pay the increase in fare to get 2 rooms instead of trying to fit 4 in one room, with 'adult children'.

You didn't ask this question, but on these two ships I would suggest a cove balcony. The fifth deck juts out and if you are on the sixth or seventh deck that is what you'll be looking at from your balcony. The cove balconies are on the second deck. Yes there are a few lifeboats above you but at least at night you can see the water and the stars instead of the glaring lights of the 5th deck.

I agree with the other suggestions here. I have had a cove balcony & a deluxe oceanview room. They are both amazing rooms. The coves are better than higher balconies, because the higher balconies overlook the deck 5 lanai that sticks out all the way around the ship. Plus, being close to the water is so amazing! Just don't pick one that is under the galley (which runs from the midship elevators to the aft elevators). Under the midship dining room is the most perfect spot.

Coves are 185 sq.ft. plus a 45 sf balcony. The deluxe OV room is 230 sq.ft. So equal space, but the deluxe OV is all indoors, and it helps to spread things out a bit. With both options, the 3rd/4th people will be sleeping in a sofabed & upper bunk that is fully above the sofabed. The standard twins/king will have nothing above it. It is separated, which is a huge advantage over the interiors, which are actually only about 150 to 160 sq.ft. in reality (if you measure it, which I have). The deluxe OV has the added benefit of the 2nd half bathroom. 2 people can be showering at the same time. The half-bath is small and has no toilet, but the shower/tub is much better than the shower in the full bathroom. In my experiences with each room, I was the 3rd person (out of 3), and it was very nice. A 4th person would begin to cramp things slightly, but I don't think it would be a big deal at all. The deluxe OV room on the Dream even had an extra closet (4 instead of 3).

Thanks to you all for the great advice. So many useful tips -- and I didn't know that about deck 5 jutting out -- that's why I love this forum! We are looking to book for March, so our choices may be somewhat limited this late in the game, but we shall see. At least now I have plenty of options.

I'm curious k2excursion, what exactly did you mean by "It is separated, which is a huge advantage over the interiors.." What exactly are you referring to that is separated?

Thanks to you all for the great advice. So many useful tips -- and I didn't know that about deck 5 jutting out -- that's why I love this forum! We are looking to book for March, so our choices may be somewhat limited this late in the game, but we shall see. At least now I have plenty of options.

I'm curious k2excursion, what exactly did you mean by "It is separated, which is a huge advantage over the interiors.." What exactly are you referring to that is separated?

With the basic interior rooms, the 2 upper bunks are either partially or fully over the regular twin beds. But with oceanview & balcony rooms, the 3rd/4th beds (sofabed + upper) are separated from the regular beds. The 1st/2nd beds have their own space from floor to ceiling, which is not true with the basic interiors. I would always prefer having nobody either above or below me. The 3rd/4th beds do have to share that space with each other, but the 1st/2nd beds have nobody above them in any way. The separation between the 1st/2nd beds & the 3rd/4th beds might be less than a foot, but they are separated.

If you decide to do the 2 cabin route, how about a 4J on deck 7 since you have 6 to choose from and an adjacent inside like 7211 or 7212.

Yes, that's an excellent idea, if they are still available. That would be affordable and give us extra space.

Although, my DS just informed me he's not sure he wants to cruise now because it will take time away from other things he can do on break, like play video games. I'm not making this up.

Well, I guess that would solve the space issue...

With the basic interior rooms, the 2 upper bunks are either partially or fully over the regular twin beds. But with oceanview & balcony rooms, the 3rd/4th beds (sofabed + upper) are separated from the regular beds. The 1st/2nd beds have their own space from floor to ceiling, which is not true with the basic interiors. I would always prefer having nobody either above or below me. The 3rd/4th beds do have to share that space with each other, but the 1st/2nd beds have nobody above them in any way. The separation between the 1st/2nd beds & the 3rd/4th beds might be less than a foot, but they are separated.

Thanks, that's good to know! Believe it or not, I don't mind sleeping in bunk beds -- takes me back to my childhood. I was on the bunk for our two Dis cruises when we were all in one cabin. :)