Help me convince parents to celebrate their 50yr Valentine Day Anny on BA CTN 2/13-15

ncklhaus

Hi everyone. I am asking for your help. I am trying to get my parents to go on the Breakaway's Cruise to Nowhere February 13-15, 2015. We would join them (myself, my husband, and our daughter).

My parents will be married 50 years on Valentine's Day, February 14 2015. They rarely do anything for themselves. They even had their wedding reception in the basement of my fathers house! To celebrate their 50th anniversary they want to stay home and MAYBE have someone deliver food. They want me, my husband, my daughter, my brother, his wife, and my other brother (that lives upstairs in my parents house) to come over to eat. They don't want to go out to eat because most places won't take reservations on Valentine's Day. (I've called the few places they would want to go and the answer is no reservations)

Growing up, some of my favorite memories of my father was going out on our boat every weekend. Up until a few years ago, he still had a boat. Now he just goes fishing with friends. My mother liked the water, but didn't like to go fast, so she didn't really spend a lot of time on the boat. Although, my father name our Cabin Cruiser after her, "Good Night Irene". She even made the curtains to go inside of it. :) And when we look back at pictures, you see my mom with a giant smile, driving the boat.

After taking 3 full length cruises and 1 two night cruise to nowhere, I really think they would love it. Every time I bring up a cruise, my mom always shuts me down without even letting me tell her why I think she would love it. She says she'd rather stay home on her couch watching Judge Judy. She goes out everyday, shopping at Walmart or Target, or anywhere just to get out for a few hours, but she won't even consider it. I know my dad would love it, but he fears his back would hurt to much to do a lot of walking. They are not old (early 70's) and I think that if they got a stateroom on deck 8, they would be close to everything.

My mom loves to dance, especially to 50's, 60's and 70's music, and my dad just loves music in general. He is a pretty good guitar player and recently took piano lessons. They love comedy and my mom LOVES the Cake Boss, Buddy Valastro.

How can I convince them to just take the chance and go on this trip? It truly is a once in a lifetime event, celebrating your 50th wedding anniversary. They can always stay home next year.

I appreciate your advice, and I will probably print the really good arguments and present them to my parents.

Thank you!

While I applaud your wonderful intentions I'm not sure that a two day CTN is a good introduction to sailing for elderly folks. They tend to be quite hectic and a party type atmosphere. Would that be conducive to what they want?

Personally I look at it like it's their 50th and I would bow to their wishes on what they want to do. If they just want family around and a take out meal then so be it. It should be all about their wishes. For a lot of folks sharing a once in a lifetime event like that with family is important.

Just my two cents worth for you. :D

Work on a family cruise for a vacation down the road.

Edited by ColinIllinois

While I applaud your wonderful intentions I'm not sure that a two day CTN is a good introduction to sailing for elderly folks. They tend to be quite hectic and a party type atmosphere. Would that be conducive to what they want?

Personally I look at it like it's their 50th and I would bow to their wishes on what they want to do. If they just want family around and a take out meal then so be it. It should be all about their wishes.

What he said

Personally I look at it like it's their 50th and I would bow to their wishes on what they want to do. If they just want family around and a take out meal then so be it. It should be all about their wishes. For a lot of folks sharing a once in a lifetime event like that with family is important.

Totally agree with this sentiment!

Hi everyone. I am asking for your help. I am trying to get my parents to go on the Breakaway's Cruise to Nowhere February 13-15, 2015. We would join them (myself, my husband, and our daughter).

My parents will be married 50 years on Valentine's Day, February 14 2015. They rarely do anything for themselves. They even had their wedding reception in the basement of my fathers house! To celebrate their 50th anniversary they want to stay home and MAYBE have someone deliver food. They want me, my husband, my daughter, my brother, his wife, and my other brother (that lives upstairs in my parents house) to come over to eat. They don't want to go out to eat because most places won't take reservations on Valentine's Day. (I've called the few places they would want to go and the answer is no reservations)

Growing up, some of my favorite memories of my father was going out on our boat every weekend. Up until a few years ago, he still had a boat. Now he just goes fishing with friends. My mother liked the water, but didn't like to go fast, so she didn't really spend a lot of time on the boat. Although, my father name our Cabin Cruiser after her, "Good Night Irene". She even made the curtains to go inside of it. :) And when we look back at pictures, you see my mom with a giant smile, driving the boat.

After taking 3 full length cruises and 1 two night cruise to nowhere, I really think they would love it. Every time I bring up a cruise, my mom always shuts me down without even letting me tell her why I think she would love it. She says she'd rather stay home on her couch watching Judge Judy. She goes out everyday, shopping at Walmart or Target, or anywhere just to get out for a few hours, but she won't even consider it. I know my dad would love it, but he fears his back would hurt to much to do a lot of walking. They are not old (early 70's) and I think that if they got a stateroom on deck 8, they would be close to everything.

My mom loves to dance, especially to 50's, 60's and 70's music, and my dad just loves music in general. He is a pretty good guitar player and recently took piano lessons. They love comedy and my mom LOVES the Cake Boss, Buddy Valastro.

How can I convince them to just take the chance and go on this trip? It truly is a once in a lifetime event, celebrating your 50th wedding anniversary. They can always stay home next year.

I appreciate your advice, and I will probably print the really good arguments and present them to my parents.

Thank you!

Just book it buy the tickets and tell them no refund and happy anniversary.

Easier said than done I know. I would love my parents to come I a cruise. I have asked my mother until I'm blue in the face she said she rather stick pins I her eyes lol. My dad goes with the flow and would go in a heartbeat. I may take my own advise and just buy them tickets one of these days. My moms reasoning is she thinks it's the titanic <eyeroll> lol

Agree....and well said!

Harriet

Just re-read your post. Another thought....

If you just purchase the tickets for them as some have suggested it seems as if only ONE of their children would be with them on this most important anniversary. If they 'do it their way' they can have all their children/family with them. That seems to be what they want.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

There is a thread on here about how a two day CTN ruined a 35th Anny, you should read it, it is pure truth, eventually.

I read that post. Yes, pure truth. I can see how the cold steak ruined their anniversary. It's so true that the moderators shut down the thread.:eek:

My mom just called me to discuss their anniversary plans. She said that she is looking for a place to deliver things like fried chicken, ribs, and things like that because she doesn't like "fancy things" like scallops and such. I hear my dad in the background chime in with "But I do!!" :rolleyes:

Ugh. Maybe I'll just forget about the cruise to nowhere for their anniversary and take just him on our next real cruise.

And on a side note, they are in no way elderly. I want to be as spry as them when I am their age. They just were never able to travel so the cruise bug never had a chance to bite them.

For what its worth, they absolutely loved following along on our last cruise through pictures, videos, texts, and phone calls. They just were able to do it from the comfort of their own home/couch.

Just re-read your post. Another thought....

If you just purchase the tickets for them as some have suggested it seems as if only ONE of their children would be with them on this most important anniversary. If they 'do it their way' they can have all their children/family with them. That seems to be what they want.

Harriet

Another good point. Hope if I reach my 70's there is no one trying to tell me what I want to do, hope I can make my own decisions and they will be respected.