Royal Perspective

RLK33853

I will point out another example that again dispels your belief. DISNEY DREAM and DISNEY FANTASY....

I don't believe that Disney was given any special exemption from SOLAS regulations to do this...

Point taken with the new Disney-twins. However, I'm still wondering if, since ship design and approval precedes the actual order, sometimes by several years, if they were in a 'gray area', or grandfathered into some older rules. I know they received SOLAS exemption for something as small as the color of their lifeboats. Celebrity Solstice came two years earlier than the first of the Disney ships, and the design approvals may have overlapped each other being developed, designed, and constructed at the same shipyard. But why would Celebrity Cruises start a new revenue-based design that all but eliminated the promenade deck?

I know that the SOLAS regulations are volumes long, and I can't say that I've read them like you have. Is there any other governing factor dealing with ship design that would have influenced deck-mounted lifeboats, instead of it just being revenue-based? And does every other mass market cruise line, other than Disney, now not value a proper promenade deck? None of them?

:D

Point taken with the new Disney-twins. However, I'm still wondering if, since ship design and approval precedes the actual order, sometimes by several years, if they were in a 'gray area', or grandfathered into some older rules.

If you're wondering so much, then do the research. Simple as that. I've provided plenty of examples and if you want to keep wondering that is your prerogative. Bottom line is that there are new ships, both large and small, that have or will have a traditional promenade deck.

Bottom line is that there are new ships, both large and small, that have or will have a traditional promenade deck.

And nearly two dozen new mass market cruise ships, that recently entered service or are on order from 2013-2019 - the vast majority of them - that don't, not including the nine ships of the Fantasia- and Solstice-classes. That's more than just 'a trend'. I just don't buy the "it's revenue" excuse. And that is my perogitive.

:cool:

Edited by dmwnc1959

If you're wondering so much, then do the research. Simple as that. I've provided plenty of examples and if you want to keep wondering that is your prerogative. Bottom line is that there are new ships, both large and small, that have or will have a traditional promenade deck.

It's easier and more fun to believe in fairy tales than to deal with facts.;)

Mike:)

It's easier and more fun to believe in fairy tales than to deal with facts.;)

Mike:)

Apparently so Mike, because of course the cruise lines have no interest in maximizing revenue! LOL

Edited by eroller

That's more than just 'a trend'. I just don't buy the "it's revenue" excuse. And that is my perogitive.

:cool:

Lots of assumptions but not a lot of facts. Lets see where it stipulates this in the SOLAS regulations??? Of course you're welcome to believe whatever you want.

It's not conjecture. I was merely repeating what I was told by one of the officers on the ship.

And, I'm sorry Ray if you felt I hijacked your thread, but I was answering a question someone asked. I was also on this cruise and somehow thought that entitled me to chime in on something about the ship.

Maureen

Don't worry Maureen - you haven't hijacked anything and please chime in as you were on the ship with us.

Ray

Thanks Ray. Then I have one more comment. Ok two more. First I want to thank you for your great and detailed review.

Second, (this isn't directed at you Ray or any specific person) and believe me I tried to talk myself out of this, but .. the hair stands up on the nape of my neck when I read what I perceive as a derogatory comment that things are 'revenue driven'. OF COURSE THEY ARE! Princess et als are not benevolent benefactors. They are in business to make money. They cut corners so it doesn't hurt too much. They add minimal amounts on occasion to certain charges or reduce perks that have been abused. They reconfigure the ship for safety and fuel conservation. But they are also very fair when things go wrong (like Superstorm Sandy). So if there are those of you who think that being revenue driven is a bad thing, I suggest you do a reality check. And I'm disgusted when I hear people talk about how to 'beat' various charges. Ok I'm done.

Loved the ship, the cruise, the food, staff, everything!

Thanks Ray. Then I have one more comment. Ok two more. First I want to thank you for your great and detailed review.

Second, (this isn't directed at you Ray or any specific person) and believe me I tried to talk myself out of this, but .. the hair stands up on the nape of my neck when I read what I perceive as a derogatory comment that things are 'revenue driven'. OF COURSE THEY ARE! Princess et als are not benevolent benefactors. They are in business to make money. They cut corners so it doesn't hurt too much. They add minimal amounts on occasion to certain charges or reduce perks that have been abused. They reconfigure the ship for safety and fuel conservation. But they are also very fair when things go wrong (like Superstorm Sandy). So if there are those of you who think that being revenue driven is a bad thing, I suggest you do a reality check. And I'm disgusted when I hear people talk about how to 'beat' various charges. Ok I'm done.

Excellent post! :D

Hi Maureen. ..... :)

The Royal IMHO would have been a Great ship if some things were taken care of.

The 3 day wait for laundry or pressing was a joke. It was blamed on a large number of Elites-551 on the 10 day repo cruise. Last year on the CB we had over 700 and we receved 24 hour service.

$200 to use the Enclave is way over priced, coupled with no seating in the men's locker room. Older gentleman fell but escaped serious injury prompting 2 plastic chairs mid cruise. On my b2b cruise on the CB the FREE steam room was much better than what the $200 Enclave offered.

As a Diabetic it was a big deal, for others not so much......The lack of sugar free ice cream in the Gelato or any place other than the MDR.Not a big deal unless you're a Diabetic.

Internet Cafe was too small, lines often 10-15 deep waiting.

Fountain show. A real waste of space......A large pool is needed as a replacement.

Seawalk turned out to be a sailaway day curiouasity. ....hard pressed to find many who walked on it more than twice.

Horizon Court while nice, too much walking to find certain items, you never knew where anything was located. Very frustrating at times.

I just completed my 26th Princess cruise. ...Ive seen alot over the last decade plus of cruising. One thing about this ship. ..Most people are just so excited and happy to be on the ship that the WOW factors over shadow the What were they thinking elements of the ship.

Ask 10 people and youll get 10 different views.

Would I sail her again? Only if the price was low and the OBC'S are high. Too many items are still included on other Princess ships and many are still FREE.

These things are IMHO and I wish all who sail, wonderful cruising.

Edited by blkspy