:-( Any problem with canceling person from cruise?

Zoey

I always purchase travel insurance, but usually mainly for medical evacuation, and not cancellation, but since I'm a procrastinator, it's usually the week before my cruise. However, this was pretty much a last minute booking (Breeze on 11/30) and I haven't had an opportunity to buy insurance yet as work has been crazy. About ten days ago, booked the cruise for myself and as a gift to my 76 year old mother, who has wanted to join me on a cruise for a couple of years. I booked a surprise Spa Suite, ordered delivery of flowers for her (with message), and booked two nights at the Steakhouse. Of course paid in full since it was past that time. NOW her bladder issue has resurfaced (which will probably require surgery). She could probably delay it for a time, but she's so afraid she will begin the trip and have an emergency - totally understandable.

My question is....I KNOW I am due not a penny from the cruise line, and I paid for two people, so do I just show up and say she's not coming or do I call and cancel her? Would there be ANY kind of issue upon boarding regardless of which way I handle it? I guess I'm hoping for a miracle and she'll be able to go, so not sure if I want to cancel her from the booking.

Thoughts?

If you call and formally cancel, you'll most likely get hot with a Single Suppliment Surcharge.

So, in effect, you won't get her money back,, PLUS you could get charge another 100% of the fare for being a single cruiser.

Therefore, after exhausting all other possible remidies,,,, I'd just show up at the dock and then say,,,, Yep, it's just me. Other party will not be making it.

Then, You'll get back her taxes and port fees.

Edited by klfrodo

If you call and formally cancel, you'll most likely get hot with a Single Suppliment Surcharge.

So, in effect, you won't get her money back,, PLUS you could get charge another 100% of the fare for being a single cruiser.

Therefore, after exhausting all other possible remidies,,,, I'd just show up at the dock and then say,,,, Yep, it's just me. Other party will not be making it.

Then, You'll get back her taxes and port fees.

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is correct. He has paid for two and will not get a refund for his mother, but there is no single supplement added on since he has already paid for two. The idea behind the single supplement is to sell the room as double occupancy, which he has already paid for. He would of course still get moms taxes, port charges, excursions, spa treatments etch that were paid upfront refunded when mom does not show up.

I would call and cancel and just ask for some sort of credit for mom. Yeah, I know, they are not required to do anything, but after so many years here on CC I read where people get the right customer service agent who does things that are technically not supposed to be done. Worth a shot anyway.;)

Hope all turns out brilliantly for mum!

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is correct. He has paid for two and will not get a refund for his mother, but there is no single supplement added on since he has already paid for two. The idea behind the single supplement is to sell the room as double occupancy, which he has already paid for. He would of course still get moms taxes, port charges, excursions, spa treatments etch that were paid upfront refunded when mom does not show up.

I would call and cancel and just ask for some sort of credit for mom. Yeah, I know, they are not required to do anything, but after so many years here on CC I read where people get the right customer service agent who does things that are technically not supposed to be done. Worth a shot anyway.;)

Hope all turns out brilliantly for mum!

All cabin prices are based on double occupancy. Unless Carnival is running a special rate for singles (very rare), you will be charged more....and this is why. Your cruise is already in penalty. If you cancel your mom, the penalty amount is removed from the booking leaving an amount then owed for a "single" rate. The best option is as the first person replied. Leave your mom on the booking. If she is able to go....great. If not, show up and let them know she is not able to make it and you will still get a refund of the taxes, fees and port expenses from Carnival.

Someone gave a great explanation of why this sometimes happens on another thread out there.

Once you cancel one passenger, think of that cancelling person's cruise fare as a penalty fee. So, once that money is taken by the cruise line, there is now a deficit on the booking, and the remaining passenger pays extra to cover the costs for 2 in the cabin.

It does seem to be double dipping, but if you think of the paid fare not as "fare" but as "penalty" then it makes it easier to understand. We don't have to like it, but it becomes easier to see why the cruise lines do it.

Now, if you do a no show, then this does not happen. I would not even say the person wasn't coming. I'd simply say that they were checking in separately. All sorts of things happen on the way to a port. Car breaks down, traffic, airplane is delayed, etc.

Zoey.... I hope this works out for you! I think your mom should just be a no show and don't say a thing!

Somehow I missed what happened with the cruise you booked with your grandson. Did he finally get to go??

Hope your mom feels well soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Zoey.... I hope this works out for you! I think your mom should just be a no show and don't say a thing!

Somehow I missed what happened with the cruise you booked with your grandson. Did he finally get to go??

Hope your mom feels well soon!

Nana....you have a good memory! Yes, it all worked out and we had a good time. After ALL the fuss and worry RCI didn't even look at the parental permission letter with the missing signature of the father. I held my breath until we were on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've already done online check in for both of us....hope THAT doesn't create a problem. Maybe I'll just say our plans changed and she'll be checking in later but that I don't want to wait???

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was thinking that was going to work out.... Hopefully mom will get this fixed before he needs to do a Senior Exchange to a place where he needs a passport. That's what finally got my daughter to deal with an absent biological donor! The courts need to put it in writing that only moms permission is needed to travel or to obtain a passport.

Update - problem solved! I'm shocked, but my sister's employer actually let her have that week off, at the last minute, which is unusual with them. I called Carnival and they have switched my mother's booking to my sister....with a $50 change fee of course. Although I booked the cruise specifically for myself and my mother, I do enjoy my sister's company. I'm sure we will spend a lot of time thinking and worrying about our mother, but we'll try and have some fun too:D