Too many clothes for 6/20 Alaska cruise?

ElaineB2

Help - I think I've packed too many clothes, but I can't decide what to leave behind. The tops and shoes are the major problem. Here's my list:

3 warm up suits
6 pairs of slacks
2 pairs of shorts
2 formals (one long, one knee length)
3 other dresses for dinner

Tops:
5 sleeveless tanks for layering
4 turtlenecks
7 short sleeve tops
1 sweatshirt
2 long sleeve sweaters
6 cardigan sets

Shoes:
9 pairs

Then all the necessities - bras, undies, swim suit, etc.

Help - where can I cut back? I think I'm going to have to make a chart. I'm afraid that there may be days I change my clothes at least a few times a day - i.e., like the halibut fishing day, will wear sweats, old sneakers, etc., then upon return, will change into something a little casual before dinner, then dress for dinner.

I also need room in my luggage to bring home stuff.

Any suggestions? Is this too much? Thanks ladies!

It all depends on how long your cruise is. Some Alaska cruises are as long as 12 days and some are 7. If yours is 7, I think you have too many daytime clothes. Three warm up suits are far too many because it's not going to be that cold in Alaska in June. You probably could get by with one warm up and one turtleneck. You could go with a couple more shorts because it will most likely be in te 70's during the day. Warm ups are so heavy and bulky that by taking two out you're going to have more room. I also don't think you need 7 short sleeved tops. You're probably going to buy some shirts either on the ship or in the port, so you can wear those as you go along. If your tanks are neutral in color, you don't need that many tanks either. Plus, I honestly don't think you'll change your clothes a few times a day. Believe me, after some of the tours, you're not going to care because you're going to be tired from touring.

Darcie

Why are you taking 6 cardigan sets and 6 pair of slacks? That sounds like 4 too many to me. I see no need for more than one turtleneck, that would be for the glacier day. I'm not taking any warm-up suits and I plan to send a couple things out to be laundered, here is my list for 7 days plus one pre and two post days:

daywear
2 pair jeans
3 pair capris
1 pair shorts
1 sweatsuit
1 extra sweatshirt
3 short sleeved tops
3 long sleeved tops
1 lightweight jacket
2 pair sneakers
rain poncho
1 bathing suit for spa

evening wear
1 long formal
l short formal
2 pair black pants (one casual one dressy)
5 assorted tops for pants
black heels
black sandals
silver sandals

bras, underwear, socks

Don't plan for any more than one change of clothes for the day. You will spend the day in whatever you get dressed in in the morning and will probably not change until dinner. Maybe one lounging outfit for resting in between or to go up on deck in the morning. I've packed like your list before and dragged the majority of it home clean. If you do run out, the laundry charges for a couple of things won't break the bank. Plus, if you do get something wet, it can take forever to dry in the cabin, better to send it out.

Now, the hard part, what to leave behind????

Kathy

I just checked the weather conditions in Alaska. Not that they can predict any more than 5 days out, but the port towns you will be visiting will be in the high 60's, low 70's. Unless they have a dramatic change, it looks like perfect weather for you! Your glacier day and your fishing trip should be the only days you will need warm clothing.

Let us know about your experience, we will be on Infinity in August.

Have a great cruise!!

p.s. Maybe you could check the weather again the day before you leave, make any adjustments then.

Kathy

I agree with the others have said. Also, if you do come back from an excursion and want to change into something else for a few hours before dressing for dinner, you can either wear that again the next day or use something you wore the day before.

Usually, I figure slacks can be worn for two days though I might pack an extra pair in case I get clumsy and spill something - then again, I may in that case just send a pair to the ship's laundry or wear a pair some extra time.

9 pairs of shoes sounds like a lot too and shoes can take a lot of room.

Happy Ks list sounds about right. I would probably take a sweater or a fleece rather than the extra sweatshirt. They provide more warmth if they get wet.

OK, OK, I hear everyone - I packed way too much [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Tonight, I'll make adjustments! Thanks for all the input - I appreciate it.

Kathy, I will let you know about my Infinity experience. I've heard very good things about her and I'm SO looking forward to Sunday at 8:00 a.m. when we board the plane!

If it's between 60 and 70 in the port, what's it like on the deck of the ship? I've seen pictures of people wearing coats. I'm a warm blooded person, but my DH is ALWAYS cold. He's already told me that he's buying 2 underarmor shirts to keep him warm!

Do you think that I can wear a sleeveless dress without having to ues a shawl or jacket? I have 2 great dresses that are silk, very lighweight and packer friendly. Problem is, I don't have anything to wear with them. I can buy something if I have to. Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks~ Kim

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;07;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Alaska Bound on the Sapphire Princess

kimba

the first night in the dining room you can wear what you have on to get to the ship. if you feel chilly you can go to the ship gift shop the next day and pick a shawl or scarf to put on your shoulders that will go with your dress. they sell beautiful ones. have a great time.

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05
Alaska glacier bay again

Archived