Recent Jersey Garden Outlet Mall review

Langley Cruisers

Took beautiful Explorer of the Seas on her repositioning cruise, November 1 - 15. For two nights prior, we stayed at the Country Inns and Suites adjacent to the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall (easy 5 minute walk) in Elizabeth, New Jersey. It had been a number of years since we'd sailed out of Bayonne, and my recollection of the mall was that it wasn't all that fabulous... last time, we didn't buy anything and more or less used it as a hangout the day before we went to the pier.

I'm happy to share that this mall is now huge and gorgeous and has lots to offer. We bought some stuff, lemme tell you! There is no sales tax on clothing in New Jersey and both my husband and I purchased items on the cheap. The food court has been updated and is bright and beautiful with lots of choices.

Additionally, I needed a few toiletries/sundries before boarding and asked the hotel front desk staff for directions to a nearby grocery store or drug store. No such animal within walking distance. However, I'm happy to say that I found everything I needed and more at a store called Bed Bath and Beyond - they had two entire walls of small shampoos, hair sprays, medicines, etc. etc. plus there is another small store called Metro Mart (like a 7-11) where I was able to buy dental floss. All in all, very pleased with the offerings there. :)

Just wanted to provide this information for those sailing out of Bayonne in future, especially those flying in and wanting to watch their suitcase weight by not bringing full size bottles of their own hair stuff, etc.

:)

• 2 months later...

Hey there neighbor!

We will be staying at Country Inn for a couple days before our May 6th cruise. How did you get to the Bayonne port from this hotel?

With some research, I found my options to be:

1. free shuttle from airport to hotel-free shuttle to airport and take RCCL prepaid shuttle from airport to cruiseship & from cruiseship to airport.

2. free shuttle from airport to hotel-prepaid shuttle from hotel to criuseship & from cruiseship to hotel- free shuttle from hotel to airport.

3. free shuttle from airport to hotel-pay hotel for shuttle to cruiseport-pay RCCL for shuttle to airport.

Is this all correct? Did you find a more simpler and/or cheaper way?

^ The two times we have stayed at the Country Inns and sailed out of Bayonne, we got to the pier the same way: we had the front desk call a car service for us. They know who to call, the driver was there early (I know!), and the cost was a reasonable $55.00 plus tip. Please - you do not want to take the shuttle to the airport with all your luggage in tow... it's just an extra step and so much hassle.

I'll actually refer you to the mini-review I wrote, in which I mention the car service. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44786129&postcount=68

Have fun!!

Call Country Inns about their shuttle to the Cruiseport. It's $70 round trip for 2 people. I think there might be an option for an airport drop off on the return trip, but I don't know for sure. Folks want to return to Country Inns to pick up parked cars, but many folks also want to get to the airport.

It all depends on whether you are willing to pay extra to have control over when you get to the port.

^ The two times we have stayed at the Country Inns and sailed out of Bayonne, we got to the pier the same way: we had the front desk call a car service for us. They know who to call, the driver was there early (I know!), and the cost was a reasonable $55.00 plus tip. Please - you do not want to take the shuttle to the airport with all your luggage in tow... it's just an extra step and so much hassle.

I'll actually refer you to the mini-review I wrote, in which I mention the car service. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44786129&postcount=68

Have fun!!

THANKS LangleyCruisers: your link about comment on port transportation has made up my mind. I will make a reservation through Independent Driver (thanks to 138east recommendation) for hotel to port, and make a reservation with RCCL for port to airport (this makes for easier transistion to connect to flight time).