Not sure what kind of insurance to get

trapezelover

My fiance and I booked our honeymoon cruise for May 2015. He just started a new job and may not be able to get the time off for our cruise. I wanted to purchase insurance in case we have to cancel. I'm overwhelmed with the options. Can anyone help me narrow it down??

Thanks!

Your options may be limited.

All that I can think of are policies that have specific riders added to them that specifically mention job related scenerios. The problem are many.

1. You had to purchase the insurance within 14 - 21 days of making your initial trip deposit.

2. Cancel For Any Reason is a special rider that can be purchased. It too has to be purchased within X number of days of initial deposit PLUS if you cancel for any reason (job??) you would only get back 75% to 90% of your money

3. If the job reason is covered, he would have to have Executive level people sign off that he couldn't go on vacation for the insurance to pay out.

Since this is such an important event, will he know in advance if he will be allowed the time or is this something they could deny him at the last minute? If he cannot get the time off, what are your backup plans for the wedding and honeymoon? (I am assuming you will still proceed with the wedding even if he has to go back to work the next day).

I ask all this because insurance for this reason may or may not not be your best recourse. If you have a defined lead time before the wedding of more than a couple of months, then you likely will be able to cancel with minimal penalty, if any. And if his work could cancel as late as the day before the wedding, then I would gently suggest that you both might want to re-think the honeymoon to a time when you can more reliably plan in advance. I cannot imagine the disappointment of a last minute cancellation; how do the two of you feel about dealing with that during your wedding festivities?

Since this is such an important event, will he know in advance if he will be allowed the time or is this something they could deny him at the last minute? If he cannot get the time off, what are your backup plans for the wedding and honeymoon? (I am assuming you will still proceed with the wedding even if he has to go back to work the next day).

I ask all this because insurance for this reason may or may not not be your best recourse. If you have a defined lead time before the wedding of more than a couple of months, then you likely will be able to cancel with minimal penalty, if any. And if his work could cancel as late as the day before the wedding, then I would gently suggest that you both might want to re-think the honeymoon to a time when you can more reliably plan in advance. I cannot imagine the disappointment of a last minute cancellation; how do the two of you feel about dealing with that during your wedding festivities?

He's still in the academy phase so he doesn't have a schedule yet. The academy ends next month so we're hoping he will have a better idea then if he will be able to take the time. He did tell them he was getting married and had the honeymoon planned but that doesn't mean they will approve the time.

Thanks for the suggestions!