Post cruise day in Ft Lauderdale

jaguarstyper

Any suggestions on what to do from debarkation until a 6:30pm flight in Ft Lauderdale? Does HAL still have the express luggage service where they take it and you never see it again until you get to your destination airport? We used that for an Alaska cruise years ago, but I never see it mentioned anymore.

Is it possible to rent a car at the port and return it to the airport so we could spend the day touring around a little bit?

Any hotels offer a day pass for the beach or pool areas?

I sure hate the idea of spending a potentially beautiful Florida day in the FLL airport.

Any suggestions on what to do from debarkation until a 6:30pm flight in Ft Lauderdale? Does HAL still have the express luggage service where they take it and you never see it again until you get to your destination airport? We used that for an Alaska cruise years ago, but I never see it mentioned anymore.

Is it possible to rent a car at the port and return it to the airport so we could spend the day touring around a little bit?

I sure hate the idea of spending a potentially beautiful Florida day in the FLL airport.

As a local, I can tell you there are no car rentals at port itself. Book one and use their shuttle to pick it up at the airport.

Perhaps your cruise will offer a post cruise shorex wherein they drop you at the airport. That will get you to do the airport by 2ish, but at least it will give you something to do.

I would rent a car and have the whole day to roam. If you like shopping, Sawgrass Mills or Festival Flea Market are some options.

A few years ago I booked a post cruise shorex with HAL. We took a bus to the Everglades (luggage stowed in bottom) and then got in an airboat a la CSI Miami. Saw Everglades wildlife and learned a lot about gators. Went to wildlife center and saw more wildlife, including Pitt Panther and Penn State Nitanny Lion wintering in Florida. Got back on bus and dropped off at FLL. Sure beat sitting in the airport all day, and the cruise crowds has disspated.

Roz

We used luggage direct from Fort Lauderdale last November. We did an Everglades tour in the past on a land vacation and loved it, so that is a good option. Getting a cab to the water taxi and doing the canals and Las Olas Blvd is also a good way to spend some time.

A big yes vote for the water taxi/canals/Las Olas idea. You'll see many of the most beautiful parts of Ft. Lauderdale. River Walk, Broward Center for the Performing Arts, great Science Museum and IMAX. Even if you're not a shopper, strolling Las Olas is a delight for the senses.

Get rid of that luggage and enjoy your day!:D:D

I sure hate the idea of spending a potentially beautiful Florida day in the FLL airport.[/endQUOTE]

=======

Budget has a car rental at the entrance of the port. You can pick up the car there and drop off at Fort Lauderdale airport but you need to put this in your reservation. They have a free shuttle which will pick you up at the port and take you to the car rental office. We were just there Nov 11. Somehow Budget had our name on a list to be picked up - and we did not even reserve for pick up!

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER
text added

Miami is great, too! However, if time is limited I'd apply the Law of Parsimony (KISS) and revel in the subtropical wonder of Ft. Lauderdale. Before I moved further north on the east coast of Florida, I spent many happy years in my house on the New River in Ft. Lauderdale. Again, to reiterate, IMHO, explore the waterways of the downtown area with the option of on again/off again.

P.S. texasaggiecruiser: looking forward to a Merry Christmas on the Westerdam!

Have to agree with the rent a car suggestion. Even if you can use Luggage Direct you must pay for the service (which costs almost as much as a rental car) and you still are stuck with your carry-off (valuables). With a rental car you just lock everything in the trunk (boot for you Brits) and just enjoy your day doing as you please. You then drop it at the airport. Not only do you save the Luggage Direct cost, but you also save the cost of the transfers to the airport. As to getting a rental car, you will need to use a shuttle to the rental car center at FLL, but several of the agencies provide this as a free service.

Hank

A few years ago I booked a post cruise shorex with HAL. We took a bus to the Everglades (luggage stowed in bottom) and then got in an airboat a la CSI Miami. Saw Everglades wildlife and learned a lot about gators. Went to wildlife center and saw more wildlife, including Pitt Panther and Penn State Nitanny Lion wintering in Florida. Got back on bus and dropped off at FLL. Sure beat sitting in the airport all day, and the cruise crowds has disspated.

Roz

This is what we plan to do the day of the turn around in FLL. Going on an airboat ride in the Everglades has been on my bucket list for quite awhile.