Hot tub chemicals

Rh2458

Does anyone happen to know if all of the ships use the same chemicals in their hot tubs? I know that on the Freedom they use Bromine, (found out the hard way, hubby is allergic, didn't think to ask, our error) but I would love to find a different Carnival ship that might use Chlorine instead.

Does anyone happen to know if all of the ships use the same chemicals in their hot tubs? I know that on the Freedom they use Bromine, (found out the hard way, hubby is allergic, didn't think to ask, our error) but I would love to find a different Carnival ship that might use Chlorine instead.

I think most places use bromine, it must be stronger. I use chlorine in mine at home with no problems. I go on vacation and use a hot tub and I'm a walking rash the next day. I know now to not chance it.

I think most places use bromine, it must be stronger. I use chlorine in mine at home with no problems. I go on vacation and use a hot tub and I'm a walking rash the next day. I know now to not chance it.

It's actually supposed to be milder and that's why it's more commonly used in hot tubs. We happened to be in the hot tub we believe at the time it was being filtered so we might have caught a full dose. Combined with the sun, as well as the prescription medicines my husband is on it was like a chemical burn reaction on his skin. (Not overly horrible, just annoying and itchy) We pieced it together the cruise last week when we tried to remember when it happened to him last, and it was last August on our previous cruise.

I remember on one cruise, this very LARGE man got in one of the hot tubs (with much hardship), bucket of beer on the side. Hubby and I were nearby for the whole sea day.

He never ONCE got out of the hot tub to go to the mens room. Really? We never go in the hot tubs or pools.

Chlorine goes with fresh water pools.

Bromine goes with salt water pools.

I would bet that most ships use Chlorine in the Hot Tubs! Cheaper than Bromine. Bromine/Bromide is good for Hot Tubs where they don't have to change water frequently. If the Hot Tub has a Bromide base chemical in it, they can activate the Bromide to Make Bromine with a Chlorine addition each day. That will use less Chlorine. But I would hope they do change the water often!

Bromine can be used in Fresh Water Hot Tubs also! That is what I use at home in mine! To me its easier to use Chlorine based Chemicals for Hot tubs with lots of people using them. But for a home Hot Tubs, Bromine is the way to go and easier to maintain!

I remember on one cruise, this very LARGE man got in one of the hot tubs (with much hardship), bucket of beer on the side. Hubby and I were nearby for the whole sea day.

He never ONCE got out of the hot tub to go to the mens room. Really? We never go in the hot tubs or pools.

Maybie he has a VERY LARGE Bladder.... :D. Joking aside.. I know what you mean... How can anybody sit in one for several hours at a time anyways... I know there not really all that "hot" but your skin would look like a prune after being in hottub that long...

The freedom had chlorinated the saltwater 2 weeks ago when we were on it. That was a first as usually just saltwater. U could faintly smell it in the hottub but much less of it or something like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We called Guest services and the woman had to check with the maintenance staff and confirmed the hot tubs on the Freedom were using Bromine which confirmed our suspicious regarding my husband's reaction.