Flip-Flops

nellie2407

I haven't seen this brought up yet...so here goes.

Flip Flops in the dining room....casual night....pink skirt, white top...these flip flops have a heel and a very pretty flower on them that match the skirt. Are these ok to wear or should I find a sandle of some sort? Unfortunately with my feet the only kind of sandle I can wear are the flip flop type. So I always have trouble finding dressy sandles.

Then I have a pair of dressy black ones with sequins and such on them...what about those for casual or smart casual nights?

It's just amazing how many of these you can fit in a small space so I thought what the heck. Thoughts??

Thankyou!!

I think you'll get as many answers as there are people on this board!

When you say flip-flops, do you mean the rubber-soled type? If so, then probably best to keep those for wearing around the pool.

However, there are thong-style sandals which could be appropriate for the dining room on casual night, IMO. These would be leather or leather-like with a hard sole and low heel.

for example:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/5105821/c/3/g/women/s/7/w/8.html

would be OK for casual night.

I'll bet the woman who bought these $295+ MiuMiu flip flops would be surprised to learn that they aren't appropriate for casual night on a cruise ship. http://www.styledrops.com/shoes-20_2.html

Nellie, I've venture to say the vast majority of people on your ship won't be looking at your feet, but some may. If this is an outfit and footwear you would wear to a nice restaurant at home, then IMHO it is appropriate for casual night on the ship also. Just like on land, use your own good judgement.

hey I say go for it,

who the heck looks at your feet?!

I have had foot problems & surgery in the past & I have worn very comfy 'fancy' thong/sandle shoes even on formal night. I was not about to sacrifice & walk in pain just to please the 'clothing' police.

I got a pair of absolutely adorable black and white wedge leather-like thongs with decoration to wear for casual/informal nights. I would have to see yours to form an opinion but I think that it's up to you. If you feel comfortable in them and think they look dressy enough, wear them. If you think they're not dressy enough, head to Target or Wal-mart or Kohl's or wherever and find a cheap pair of dressy thongs or sandals. It's really up to you.

I've never been on a cruise ship, (going in 1 week), but leather thongs (flip flops) like miu,miu, I would wear anywhere nice, not with formal attire obviously, but I go to a restaurant here at home where it's the top of the line, probably the most expensive restaurant in the entire city of a city of over 2,000 restaurants and I wear designer flip flops or thongs whatever you want to call them. I say if they are nice and not beachy looking then why not? It's in all the fashion mags, depending on what you wear with them of course.

I say go for it.

My last cruise in May I wore flip flops, matching bag with my Lilly dress in the dining room. Too cute. It looks fine. Enjoy your cruise and don't stress about what others think! Do they pay your bills? I don't think so....Have fun!

"Put on your Sailing Shoes"

i have to admit, i am guilty of wearimg my flops in the dining room. after a long day in port, on a casual night, i wore hot pink linen capris (okay, they were high-waters, but only cuz i am short ;) ). i could not get my head around the idea of putting on my cute black shoes (owch! after all that walking!). so i donned my flops and no one said a word. i really think no one noticed! mine were the reef type, black (my top was black). it went so well, i have done it many times since. besides, i have cute feet and a great pedicure. your flops sound cuter than mine, i say go for it!!!!

We had a thread a long time ago about this debate. It seemed the concensus was that flip flops and thong sandals were two different things....

Flip flops (rubbery or foam type sole, appropriate for pool or beachside or extremely casual events):

http://www.flipflopcompany.com/iStar.asp?a=29&manufacturer=ROXY

http://www.flip-flops-inc.com/woreflfl.html

In my opinion, no matter how much you pay for these flip flops (or what they are made of), they are extremely casual shoes and maybe not the best choice for the dining room.

Thong sandals (leather type sole, appropriate for nice casual events, dinner out, etc.):

http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722000603/heel_height/3/order_by/age_asc/page/1/bar/1.html

In my opinion, these would be nice in the dining room for casual nights.

Thong dressier sandals (leather type sole, appropriate for semi-formal or maybe even formal events):

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/5329972/c/934.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6474536/c/385.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6237465/c/2084.html

I think these would look great with the right dress and nicely manicured toes.

I'm just kind of repeating here what was in a lengthy thread a while back. Maybe this will help some but upset others.

Interesting parallel. Seems Disneyworld is thinking about the same thing, has revised dress code for its nicer restaurants to require business casual as a minimum... in their examples they note no tank tops, bathing suits, flip flops. Shorts are okay still, though!

Pretty much OT, but if you wear flip flops, or any other type of footwear that your heels/toes are exposed, please make sure they fit! DH and I were out yesterday and saw a woman with cute (decorated) flip flops, except her heels hung over the back. Not only does is look bad, it's really hard on your feet, causing cracked heels and callouses. The same can be said for shoes that are so wide your toes hang over the edge.

Now, totally OT, one of my embarrrasing cruise moments. Being the mom, I make sure everyone has everything they need, I lay out the clothes, I tie the ties, I comb the hair (well, now they do that themselves). It's my fault they will be clueless how those clothes arrived, pressed and accessorized when they are adults. I left out clothing one evening for the debarkation and guess what? Mama had no shoes, except the 3 inch black heels from the night before. Now, I am aware that some women do wear these types of shoes with shorts, but a little yellow and white cotton striped top and yellow bermuda shorts would look a bit silly, I didn't think I could qualify as a hoochie mama. So, there I was, stuck wearing my DDs' size 5 flip flops on my size 10 feet. I can only imagine what the fashion police had to say about me that day. I probably ended up in one of those "what not to wear" photos with the black rectangle over my eyes.

DH reminded me of this story after my critique of the above mentioned woman.

I have no opinion of whether or not you should wear flip flops in the dining room. Only you know if you will be comfortable with it.

hey I say go for it,

who the heck looks at your feet?!

I have had foot problems & surgery in the past & I have worn very comfy 'fancy' thong/sandle shoes even on formal night. I was not about to sacrifice & walk in pain just to please the 'clothing' police.

i have the same problem as you as far as '' not being able to wear flat, hard bottom shoes or sandles any more. i just bought two of the cutest pair of flip-flops with thick soles and sparkles on the top from AVON. they are not your normal '' shower flip-flops''. they are so cute ( i chose the pink and blue ones ). they are 2 pair for $16. they have matching bags also. i cant wait to take them on my mexican riviera cruise and use them for the pool, ports, wandering around the ship and the dinning room on the '' non formal nights'' with my cute skirts and capri's. of course a fabulous pedicure will top off the stylish look.

for my feets sake of not suffering enough to ruin my cruise i must do what i have too to enjoy the cruise and still look in style. :)

Archived