Puerta Maya taxi queue and private drivers

Cafabi

Can someone explain to me how the taxi queue works? My older parents are interested in the possibility of hiring a driver for a few hours, but don't want to reserve in advance due to health issues, weather, etc. (I have read the "hiring a driver for the day" thread.) I recall reading that you just have to get in the next available cab in the queue, but they will want to discuss/negotiate and make sure the driver speaks English. I don't want them to hold up the line. Should they go outside the pier area for something like this? They can't walk long distances. Thanks for any info.

In my experience, the "captain" running the taxi queue will assist them. They won't be "holding up" any line. All the taxis line up here so going further (walking along the main road) wouldn't save them any money and they'd be less likely to get a taxi driver who speaks English and who can take them around where they wish to go or show them the sights.

You can pick up a taxi at the stand without exiting the shopping complex. The dispatcher will ask where you want to go as they try to cram as many people in vehicles if going to common areas. They can pick up a car for an island tour which should be $70. Make sure to firm up the prices before leaving. Many of the drivers speak English and are trust worthy. I would be a nice way to see the town and wild side of the island at their leisure. Also there are pedi cabs (bicycles) that run from the ship to the end of the pier. They operate for tips. This will help out if walking is an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure to negotiate the price in advance and have change in the pocket. Cannot believe how expensive the cabs are in Cozumel! Also, they are getting kickbacks from beaches and restaurants, so make sure they take you where you want to go!

Make sure to negotiate the price in advance and have change in the pocket. Cannot believe how expensive the cabs are in Cozumel! Also, they are getting kickbacks from beaches and restaurants, so make sure they take you where you want to go!

I agree with checking price in advance and having change but not sure where you are comparing the prices with that you think it is so expensive. Prices are displayed by the dispatch area at each port and the taxis carry a printed tariff in their taxi. I think getting kickbacks is quite a common practice in tourist areas.

Edited by c-leg5