Need help: ship is delayed over 2 hours tmrrw

jaspup

I loved reading and planning our destinations for this cruise on Allure. Tomorrow, Nov 26, we were supposed to be docked by 10. Due to weather and an issue with an engine we may not be able to get off ship until 1:00. Ship leaves at 7:15. My entire day had been planned to do St John. But with such major time constraints I am revamping my whole plan. And I never considered St Thomas at all.

We are a family of 2 adults, 2 kids, and a set of active grandparents! We enjoy beach, snorkeling, and relaxing! We need restroom facilities for a few in our group. I usually like to explore on my own but with such a goofy schedule I think I may have to use ship excursion?

I have NO idea what to do that would fit this new itinerary.

Please ANY suggestions?

Go to a St Thomas beach. The closest with facilities is Emerald but not good for snorkeling. Sapphire and Coki are good snorkeling beaches with facilities though Sapphire has limited food and drinks and small bathrooms.

Yikes. Just checked and there are 5 other ships in port today. You'll be at Crown Bay, so the closest beach will be Lindbergh (Best Western Emerald Beach). Good beach, restrooms, etc. But snorkeling there isn't great. You could taxi over to Coki or Sapphire for better snorkeling. Unfortunately it's going to be busy everywhere by the time you disembark.

Nowhere near enough time to do St John on your own. If there's a ship's tour there that's still available and gets you to Trunk Bay..... maybe?

edited to add - I was writing while Ms411 was posting. :)

Edited by canadarocks

Sorry for the unexpected delay jaspup. Normally I'd suggest Secret Harbor which has a restaurant and also offers good snorkeling. However with your later arrival it is sure to be very crowded being a small bay. Coki will be even worse.

That leaves Sapphire which also offers great snorkeling, a couple food and drink options, a dive center with rentals, restrooms, and rinse off showers. Sapphire is a larger bay with 3 condo properties with more room to spread out.

Taxi is $20pp roundtrip and taxiis are available for your return.

Webcam, drone video -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

If you try St John and make the 2PM Red Hook ferry you'd have about 2 hrs on the beach so not worth it. Figure an extra 1.5 - 2 hrs to go to St John versus a beach like Sapphire on the East End of St Thomas.

Lindbergh is closer to your port and you'd be comfortable there, not as nice a beach as Sapphire and no snorkeling but closer.

Good luck!

[EDIT] we've rented a condo at Sapphire and on these busier port days with 21k cruisers in port it never got as busy as the other beaches mentioned. No guarantees but it is beautiful and I think the best choice to meet your requirements.

Edited by blue_water

Thank you so very much everyone. We are going to head to Sapphire. Sounds like the best plan. I was thinking if doing St John through a ship excursion but our day could become more about getting there. I'd rather have longer beach time.

Thanks again for your help. 😀

Sorry for the unexpected delay jaspup. Normally I'd suggest Secret Harbor which has a restaurant and also offers good snorkeling. However with your later arrival it is sure to be very crowded being a small bay. Coki will be even worse.

That leaves Sapphire which also offers great snorkeling, a couple food and drink options, a dive center with rentals, restrooms, and rinse off showers. Sapphire is a larger bay with 3 condo properties with more room to spread out.

Taxi is $20pp roundtrip and taxiis are available for your return.

Webcam, drone video -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

If you try St John and make the 2PM Red Hook ferry you'd have about 2 hrs on the beach so not worth it. Figure an extra 1.5 - 2 hrs to go to St John versus a beach like Sapphire on the East End of St Thomas.

Lindbergh is closer to your port and you'd be comfortable there, not as nice a beach as Sapphire and no snorkeling but closer.

Good luck!

[EDIT] we've rented a condo at Sapphire and on these busier port days with 21k cruisers in port it never got as busy as the other beaches mentioned. No guarantees but it is beautiful and I think the best choice to meet your requirements.

Kudos on the drone video!!!!!!!!