Sea conditions January / February

Fozwald

We are considering a cruise in January or February 2016 in the South Pacific however we are wondering what the sea conditions are like at that time of year. Our previous cruise was in June and it was flat calm for virtually the entire journey.

We are considering a cruise in January or February 2016 in the South Pacific however we are wondering what the sea conditions are like at that time of year. Our previous cruise was in June and it was flat calm for virtually the entire journey.

its all pot luck but if the conditions are not the best the captain can change the itinerary to try and dodge any storms.....dont worry about the weather just book the cruise and think postive that you'll have a good time

We have done South Pacific in February a few years ago, and recently in late October.

The seas were so variable from day to day, as is probably how it is everywhere. We were at the Isle of Pines and had a beautiful calm day, and then friends of ours were due to be there on a different ship the next day and couldn't go as it was so rough, and tenders couldn't be used.

We found the ocean much warmer in February, and we have heard of the higher risk of cyclones at that time. We had a few rougher days, but nothing bad. We did find it a bit too warm to really spend much time on the balcony, whereas in October the temperature was so much more pleasant and not as humid on port visits.

So my personal preference from my experience is that I would pick October/November in preference to later in the summer, but it is so hard to second guess what the weather will be like anywhere. I agree, the captain will do their best to avoid bad seas, and they will divert course around cyclones and storms as much as possible.

We hit the tail end of a cyclone, so one sea day and night was a little rocky, but not overly noticeable unless you were in the pool. Had the best night sleep from being rocked to sleep. We had to miss Mystery Island because the pontoon where we would get off the ship was too damaged (just meant a sea day instead) but overall the weather was mostly fabulous and even days that were overcast were still warm enough for a swim.

Like a previous poster said, the Captain will sail around any rough weather as much as possible.

From November to April the sea and weather conditions can vary a lot, on the 11th of November 2014,we missed out on returning to Mystery Island because of the 3 meter swell that was crashing into the pontoon, but the sea itself looked quite calm, no white caps, and the on-board swimmimg pool was calm, so you never know, but the other thing to consider is the high heat and humidity between November and April, we left Noumea on the 18th Nov and it was above my comfort zone, if you do a shore tour, make sure it involves a swim.

Our Fiji-South Pacific cruise was from mid-March when there was apparantly a cyclone around Fiji. Our Captain head straight out towards NZ before heading north by which time the seas in the northern zones had calmed somewhat.

Our weather was prefect from then on though it was very humid.

If only the OS cruiselines would understand that we prefer to visit our southern areas during OUR summer & the northern areas during our spring & autumn (Sept Oct Apr May).

Gae

Sent from my iPhone using Forums