New to HAL - questions on the Rotterdam

meaclasact2

Good day all. We have cruised several times on other lines. We are strongly considering taking the Rotterdam next July through the Norwegian fjords.

First off have any of you taken this itinerary before? She is a smaller ship and it looks like she will be going through the fjords. The itinerary does not go up the the Arctic Circle however the trip looks like it covers a lot of territory which is what we really want to see.

Regarding the ship - we would like to book two adjoining balcony cabins. Any suggestions you would like to make regarding choice of location, deck, etc, would be most appreciated.

One more thing - can I purchase my air and hotel (we will fly in a day or so early)?

Many thanks for your responses.

I've cruised the Norwegian Fjords more times than I can count. I have no idea which ports are on your itinerary, but I have probably been to each one more than once.

What would you like to know about them? Obviously, since I go there so often, I do like the ride!

I've sailed well over 100 days on the Rotterdam, but not in a few years. She is one of HAL's mid-size ships, and is very easy to get around because of that. She is one of the two HAL Flagships, and as such is kept in excellent condition.

If you have any particular questions, please ask. I'm sure you'll get a wealth of information.

Left from Rotterdam on the Rotterdam in the Summer of 2012. Stopped in Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavanger, and Flam.

LOVED IT! Ship was in fine shape (at least then). We had several small issues in stateroom (dvd player, etc - nothing major) but were very happy with the Crew.

As mentioned in a previous thread, there is a Norwegian show named "The World at Sea" that features the Rotterdam (and another ship) and the crew. It is only partly subtitled in English but you get a great idea of the ship. If interested, you can watch it on YouTube.

On this particular sailing the guest population was almost entirely Dutch/European (not sure about others). This was obvious in some of the food options. We loved it (we were living in Europe for the year) but there was a (as my 11 yr old called it) "Weird Fish" Cart in the Lido sometimes with smoked fish delicacies not commonly found in the US. LOL

Not to start a firestorm, pun intended, but, we think, because of the Guest population there was A LOT more smoking on this ship than the other HAL itineraries we had been on. Only in designated areas, and it did not bother us - we noticed it more as a whole everywhere we went for the year we were stationed in Europe.

We loved the Ports even though DS almost broke his neck falling down the stairs at the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo. Not very graceful - smashed face, no permanent damage to the Museum or his head. LOL Funny memory - NOW. In Stavanger HAL cancelled our Excursion to the Mineral Museum because of lack of interest so we just rented a car and went on our own! Awesome place. So glad we went anyway. Kristiansand was also very nice - but our favorite was Flam. You just can't believe the ship can fit into this tiny little town. Sign up for the train up to the Hotel! Almost the only thing to do in town... Was the best for views and a lot of fun all around.

The fjords were just amazing. Words can not describe some of the scenery up there. On numerous occasions we just couldn't believe the waterfalls or the farms (how do they get all the way up there with the amount of snow they get every year?)

I would highly recommend this trip to anyone interested in seeing this part of the world - it would be very difficult to get to any of these places otherwise.:)