Celebrity Solstice - cruising Australia questions

Hello All

We're travelling on Solstice in a couple of months and have a few questions that I hope some CC members can help with

1. can anyone provide a list of current beers available on Solstice? I have seen the classic and premium package lists but wonder if she is now provisioning out of Australia and different beers are available
  2. Duty free - we're visiting Bali (if they let the ship in) so assume duty free alcohol and cigarettes will be available. My understanding is that the ship holds the duty free until the last night then delivers it to you. Is there anything stopping your opening the product and consuming some on the last night?
  3. Theme nights/formal nights - it's a 17 night cruise so how many formal nights should we expect and how many theme nights - and what are the theme nights?
  4. Music - does Solstice have a good variety of music? Does it have a band playing covers from the '70's and beyond?
  5. Ipad connectivity - is there ipad/ipod/iphone connectivity in the cabin or do we need to take our own chargers?
  6. Perfume - is perfume available to buy on board and is it cheap compared to Australian prices?

Thanks in advance for all the helpful responses

Cheers

Rob

PS> the beer question is really important:D

The answer to some of the queries.

[*]Duty free - we're visiting Bali (if they let the ship in) so assume duty free alcohol and cigarettes will be available. My understanding is that the ship holds the duty free until the last night then delivers it to you. Is there anything stopping your opening the product and consuming some on the last night? Correct and just the packaging and lid.

[*]Theme nights/formal nights - it's a 17 night cruise so how many formal nights should we expect and how many theme nights - and what are the theme nights?

Theme nights tend to be dress up for the singers and dancers only, normally a 70's and 80's night. Formal nights will be sea days and there should be 4.

[*]Music - does Solstice have a good variety of music? Does it have a band playing covers from the '70's and beyond? Yes, normally some sort of stringed trio (they play more than classical music), a band, several solo or duo performers that do a bit of everything, a DJ for the night club and the ship's band for the main entertainment. they tend to do several spots early evening and night (pre and post dinner and late evening).

[*]Perfume - is perfume available to buy on board and is it cheap compared to Australian prices?Yes, my wife says that some of it is, while others are not.

Edited by MicCanberra

1-

Solstice has a HUGE range of beers, the only problem is that they tend to pop up at different bars at different times and sometimes asking for a beer that is widely available is met with a response like said beer is not existent, but try again the next day same bar... no problem.:rolleyes:

They had just about every mainstream Aussie beer you could think of-

Tooheys New and Extra Dry

VB

Crown Lager

Pure Blonde

Hahn Superdry

Hahn light

Cascade light

XXXX gold

Alongside the standard international collection that X has with lots of American and international beers e.g. Heineken, Peroni, Corona, Stella, Becks, Budweiser ETC.

I'm sure there were more I've forgotten too, they were all included in the classic package other than Crown Lager and VB (how the heck they call VB premium is past me when it's cheaper than all the others, but it didn't bother me anyway because I don't drink that stuff)

Most beers are $7US including tip, with the exception of some high end stuff Crown and VB :rolleyes: haha

Most of the other stuff has been answered pretty well.

Be careful opening your duty free as this may waive its ability to be classified as "tax" free, just check this one.

Colognes and perfumes are cheaper to buy at your local chemist warehouse or cheap retailer, cheaper than buying from DJ's and Myer onboard though.

At an aussie night function there was a bar set up with this display. Some are repeated of course, but it gives you an idea.

Also we take all our own chargers, and a USB plug in adapter.

These photos are from Celebrity Solstice November 2014, cruise around NZ from Sydney.

auusienightbeers.jpg

3c2d14a5-5d15-4d95-badc-a12028279294.jpg

Edited by goodycruising

Just remember that duty free is really only the removal of GST and when compared to sale prices can sometimes not be a bargain e.g. alcohol at Dan Murphy's, perfume at the discount chemist or a DFO.:D

alcohol purchased is also free of excise that would be pay abl in Australia. I found that on our last cruise that the first 2 sea day specials were very good value ( 2 x 1 Ltr Gordon's gin for $30 compared to1 750ml bottle at $38.50 @ Dan Murphy's.

Thanks The Big M, goodycruising, MicCanberra & cruisin-m for your replies.

You've provided some good info for my travelling companions and I.

And whilst I'm sure I won't go thirsty, I'm less than 'whelmed' at the selection of beers you guys have listed.

Hopefully I'll be able to find at least a couple of craft beers beers available somewhere on board.

Cheers

Rob

I would certainly try a few of the bars, and go back another day and ask again just in case. Sometimes they get stock in for others at different bars from "down in the store" or from another bar. Sometimes I think they just don't understand what we say with our aussie accents. I know, we don't have accents :)

I would certainly try a few of the bars, and go back another day and ask again just in case. Sometimes they get stock in for others at different bars from "down in the store" or from another bar. Sometimes I think they just don't understand what we say with our aussie accents. I know, we don't have accents :)

Thanks again. It's a 17 day cruise so I reckon there's a fair chance we'll get to 'all' the bars.

I have not been on Solstice but I recently watched an episode of Mighty Cruise Ships season 1 episode 4 which is Solstice cruising Fremantle to Sydney 17 night and included Bali.

It's like a 1 hour documentary and well worth watching if you are going on her soon. Should be easy enough to find the episode online...

I have not been on Solstice but I recently watched an episode of Mighty Cruise Ships season 1 episode 4 which is Solstice cruising Fremantle to Sydney 17 night and included Bali.

It's like a 1 hour documentary and well worth watching if you are going on her soon. Should be easy enough to find the episode online...

That is an interesting show, the Cunard episode is also very good.:D

Yeah I watched it last night and it was interesting. That's the cruise we're on in late Feb 2015. And I've shared the link with those on the roll call.

Cheers

We did this Top End cruise Feb/Mar last year (2013)

There seems to be some conjecture as to when this episode was filmed. Someone on the main Celebrity board suggested it was 2012, but I believe it was earlier this year (2014) My clue is that they go to Airely Beach instead of Cairns, and also call into Newcastle. I think this year was when they made the changes.

Here is the link anyway:

http://youtu.be/j2dCN4RkWhM

cheers

We did NZ to Aust in March this year and in addition to all the others that have been mentioned there was Amstel on tap at the Pool Bar (I think it was a light) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (my favourite) Samuel Adams & Coors Light. It would be good if they had a few more craft as you have mentioned but there is certainly a good selection of others.

I can't wait until Apr16 when I board again SYD to Honolulu.....

BTW we had the Premium Package & although a cost outlay at first it takes all the hassle out of worrying about what things cost and how much you have spent and at the end of the cruise you don't have a bill.

Enjoy

Thanks The Big M, goodycruising, MicCanberra & cruisin-m for your replies.

You've provided some good info for my travelling companions and I.

And whilst I'm sure I won't go thirsty, I'm less than 'whelmed' at the selection of beers you guys have listed.

Hopefully I'll be able to find at least a couple of craft beers beers available somewhere on board.

Cheers

Rob

They did have "craft" beers but they were mostly international and in particular US craft beers, which meant lots of IPA's.

I love a good craft beer too, but IPA's aren't my favourite so didn't get around to any of them.

Had Leffe as well, great Belgian beer! ;)