Need help choosing between Regal and Caribbean Princess

losbun

Nassau has snorkeling, and Princess has an optional snorkling excursion:

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=C&exType=S&tourCode=NAS-820

That may be a consideration since you want to take your children snorkling. If your children are beach goers, there are some great beaches in Naussau, too:

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exlistfordestination.do?portid=NAS&exType=S&t=C

Edited by Mackenzie1

Whatever you pick the kids will have a hoot. Been on the CB a few times... Will be on the Regal Sunday with a 6 and 8 year old so can tell you what I think in a week.

In my opinion though...not sure the western caribbean is better for families. The countries typically visited are the most dangerous in the caribbean ...especially Hondurus.

In my opinion though...not sure the western caribbean is better for families. The countries typically visited are the most dangerous in the caribbean ...especially Hondurus.

Completely disagree. We have been all over the Caribbean, both on land and sea, and the Western itinerary so far has been the best family vacation. Many islands are all about shopping, gambling or lying around a beach. Not bad if that is what you are into. But with kids who crave activities and exposure to foreign cultures, nothing beats the Western itinerary. As for Honduras being "dangerous", remember that the ship ports in Roatan which is pretty far removed from political juntas in the jungles. The zip lining and beach adventures in Roatan are the highlight of many, many family cruises.

Thank you everyone for all the responses and opinions.

First of all, this is a good problem to have and from everything I've seen and read whichever I choose we'll have a fantastic time. How could we not it's Spring in the Caribbean on the water with free food!

Anyway after I watched some youtube videos I really want to book Regal as she just looks lovely and the amenities and food appear wonderful. Surprisingly my DH voted for the extra sea day, he's always wanting to snorkel so I would have thought for sure he would pick another shore day but I think life's so busy now the poor man just wants to veg ;). But as much as I think I would enjoy Regal I'm choosing itinerary over "state of the art" and going with CB for all the reasons everyone has pointed out. In the end while the luxuriousness of Regal would be lovely all the things offered on Regal would not be deal breakers for me while not having ample pool space would.

I also think Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Roatan are more in line with our young, active family then St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

I would say book CB as your first Princess cruise. If you all have a good time, then book the nicer Regal for your next cruise. It's better to not start with best ship, so you can work your way up. Also, not sure how picky your kids are about sports but Regal has a REAL basketball court (which matters to me a lot) and extra activities like foosball, batting cage, etc.

I've been on Western Carib once and next week will be my 3rd time doing Eastern Carib. I think there are plenty of things for your kids to do on both itinerary. When I was a kid, going to Maho Beach in St. Maartens would have been the coolest experience ever. Actually, it still is! :D

Whatever you pick the kids will have a hoot. Been on the CB a few times... Will be on the Regal Sunday with a 6 and 8 year old so can tell you what I think in a week.

Wish I could wait to book and know your thoughts. Can't wait to read your account.

Completely disagree. We have been all over the Caribbean, both on land and sea, and the Western itinerary so far has been the best family vacation. Many islands are all about shopping, gambling or lying around a beach. Not bad if that is what you are into. But with kids who crave activities and exposure to foreign cultures, nothing beats the Western itinerary. As for Honduras being "dangerous", remember that the ship ports in Roatan which is pretty far removed from political juntas in the jungles. The zip lining and beach adventures in Roatan are the highlight of many, many family cruises.

I'm going to have to agree with Jimmy here. We haven't cruised before but pre kids my husband and I traveled quite a bit throughout the Caribbean and my favorite spots are Cozumel, Dominica and Playa del Carmen (the city not the all inclusives). I love to go diving in the morning and hiking and eco-touring by afternoon, the relaxed atmosphere and the very friendly and helpful locals. I'm aware of the reality that there are issues in Honduras and for that reason am just planning a relaxing beach day within the cruise ship compound.

Now that being said, if there is a second cruise in my future I for sure want to go to St. Maarten and Maho Beach - plus I really would have loved for my daughter and I to make our own perfume concoctions:)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions I have booked our cruise! We're going April 4-11 on the CB. I took Jimmyvwine's suggestion and got a Caribe balcony for us and an inside cabin across the hall for the kids. Hoping it's worth the extra $500:confused: Husband was all since we're only doing it once we may as well go for it and I'm just giving the good all noncommittal "mmmm":D

I would say book CB as your first Princess cruise. If you all have a good time, then book the nicer Regal for your next cruise. It's better to not start with best ship, so you can work your way up. Also, not sure how picky your kids are about sports but Regal has a REAL basketball court (which matters to me a lot) and extra activities like foosball, batting cage, etc.

I've been on Western Carib once and next week will be my 3rd time doing Eastern Carib. I think there are plenty of things for your kids to do on both itinerary. When I was a kid, going to Maho Beach in St. Maartens would have been the coolest experience ever. Actually, it still is! :D

I agree with this statement. Everything you do on a western Caribbean cruise can be done on an Eastern and Southern Caribbean cruise. Either itinerary can provide cultural and historical experiences as well as sporting activities currently popular with children and families.

OP, enjoy your first cruise. May there be many more to follow. cruising.gif

Thanks for all the help and suggestions I have booked our cruise! We're going April 4-11 on the CB. I took Jimmyvwine's suggestion and got a Caribe balcony for us and an inside cabin across the hall for the kids. Hoping it's worth the extra $500:confused: Husband was all since we're only doing it once we may as well go for it and I'm just giving the good all noncommittal "mmmm":D

Congrats...Just remember to look at the price again tomorrow...there is a Princess sale Dec.3rd. You might get a lower fare.

Sailing on the CB in March (also Caribe deck). Definitely worth the extra, especially with a family of five. :)