Formal Nights to be dropped

stu042

"Request", "Suggest", "Require",whatever. Honestly I expect that (unfortunately) any type of "formal" requirement will not be enforced.

I can only imagine the scenario when the passenger has made reservations for Grand, shows up in shorts and a polo shirt, and explains that he has no other type of clothing in the suitcase. It will likely be too late to get a reservation to a different restaurant.

I guess we'll wait and see.

M

Marci, having just returned from 19 days on board Q, a jacket for men was required and was definitely enforced at The Grande.

I asked about the singing when we were on the Jewel in September. Our waiter explained it is has been stopped fleet wide because it took too much time away from serving all of us.

I would be sort of sorry to see the end of formal night, but I don't mind at all if there are no more singing and dancing waiters.

My experience in 11 nights on Quantum is that there were people dressed up every night of the cruise. I don't recall a night that I didn't see a few folks in tuxedos and dresses, and suits too. Frankly, I thought it added a little ambiance to each evening even if I wasn't wearing a suit or tux every night myself. I only went to The Grande once, but that's because the next time I tried, it was booked full. I didn't try to "stand by" for it...I'm sure I would've gotten in. Just went to Silk instead, which happened to be my favorite of the complimentary options. Point being - I will be surprised if the idea of "formal" goes away fleetwide, but it may evolve. I kind of enjoyed picking my own formal night to tell you the truth.

My experience in 11 nights on Quantum is that there were people dressed up every night of the cruise. I don't recall a night that I didn't see a few folks in tuxedos and dresses, and suits too. Frankly, I thought it added a little ambiance to each evening even if I wasn't wearing a suit or tux every night myself. I only went to The Grande once, but that's because the next time I tried, it was booked full. I didn't try to "stand by" for it...I'm sure I would've gotten in. Just went to Silk instead, which happened to be my favorite of the complimentary options. Point being - I will be surprised if the idea of "formal" goes away fleetwide, but it may evolve. I kind of enjoyed picking my own formal night to tell you the truth.

Interesting observations. You raise an interesting point - while the "all shorts all the time" contingent argues that Dynamic Dining and The Grande is a step along the path to complete elimination of formal dining, the alternate possibility is that with good turnout for The Grande with an enforced dress code, the net ship-wide dress & ambiance may actually increase - every night.

We are all special snowflakes. Unique and different in our subjective opinions of personal comfort.

Thank you!! You just hit the nail......directly on the head, of this thread.

We have not cruised as much as some, but have cruised on Cunard, where tux's are the dress code of the evening, when calling for "formal". Informal is just a coat and tie.

Now back to Royal Caribbean, where on our last cruise, on the NV, the first week at the Captains table..........where the dress code was "Smart Casual", I wore a dark Tommy, and my bride was formal in St. John. I was the only one at the table without a jacket and tie.

So, on the second week, I dressed in a suit and tie, and most wore a suit, some with ties, and some without, and one of my friends wore a Christmas Tommy............and nothing was said on either occasion.

Frankly, unless it's a special occasion, we dine in our cabin on formal night, normally inviting another couple to join us.

We can have lobster............or anything on the MDR menu, and stay out of everyones way, and just enjoy ourselves.

We pay a great deal of money to enjoy the real estate that Royal Caribbean provides.......and we can do it any way that we want.

We are not snobs...........I work hard for what I have, and want to enjoy cruising for a relaxed atmosphere.

As LMaxwell puts so well..........we are all special snowflakes........no two are the same!

Pax vobiscum!:)

Rick

There was a similar thread to this on a Princess site a year or so ago.. the phrase for formal night became Geriatric Prom Night, abbreviated to GRN...Having sailed on Carnival, Princess and Royal.. I found that that Princess was probably the most consistent with enforcing a tie/jacket rule but the bling gowns were most in evidence on Carnival. I like to dress nicely, but not formal for a cruise, all the associated shoes, jewelry etc..just not ideal in this day of charged airline luggage. So everyone enjoy what your idea of a nice evening out is and let it go....

There was a similar thread to this on a Princess site a year or so ago.. the phrase for formal night became Geriatric Prom Night, abbreviated to GRN...Having sailed on Carnival, Princess and Royal.. I found that that Princess was probably the most consistent with enforcing a tie/jacket rule but the bling gowns were most in evidence on Carnival. I like to dress nicely, but not formal for a cruise, all the associated shoes, jewelry etc..just not ideal in this day of charged airline luggage. So everyone enjoy what your idea of a nice evening out is and let it go....

HEY!! I coined that phrase. YAY!

:)

Wouldnt it be GPN? I guess that was a typo.

GPN!!!! love it!!!! I am using that from now on.

I have been on two Princess cruises, granted they were coastals out of California that tend to be more casual, but to formal night I wore a dark colored polo and dark jeans, that you would think were slacks unless you came over and felt me up.

No one said a word. Other than my one river cruise, Princess was more formal than Disney and Carnival.