Types of beer on the Crown Princess

NMG318

I will be sailing on the Crown Princess next spring and was wondering if anyone knows if they serve craft beer (Troegs, Shipyard, Stone, Dog Fish Head etc.) or do they just serve the same Bud, Bud lite, Miller, etc.?

Princess has two types of beer. Bad and really bad.

However, next year they are coming out with an actual craft beer that's being produced on the west coast. It will be Seawitch beer. You can read about it HERE

However, next year they are coming out with an actual craft beer that's being produced on the west coast. It will be Seawitch beer. You can read about it HERE

We were on the Regal last week and SeaWitch was available. My DH tried it and said it was the worst beer he had ever tasted, he couldn't even finish it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Forums mobile app

I just checked Utappd and there is only 3 ratings so far for Sea Witch, 4.5/5, 3.5/5 and 4/5. Looks like it might be a winner.

The beer selection on Princess is not the greatest. Pretty much the standards - Bud, Bud Light, MGD, Miller Lite, Coors Light, with Dos Equis, Becks, Heineken, Grolsch, Guinness, and Bass Ale as the imported beers.

We were on the Regal last week and SeaWitch was available. My DH tried it and said it was the worst beer he had ever tasted, he couldn't even finish it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Forums mobile app

It's an IPA. If your husband normally drinks "regular" American beer then it's only natural that he didn't like it. IPA has a lot of hops. Most American beer contains hardly any hops at all.

My wife used to think she hated beer. When she tried real beer she discovered she loves it. Budweiser, Coors, etc. aren't what beer is about. The rest of the world has been laughing at Americans for a very long time because all we had was horrible swill that we called beer. When we drink imports many Americans drink Corona. Blech... What awful stuff.

We are fortunate that the craft beer market has exploded and there are now a lot of truly wonderful beers available. Brown Ale, Stout, Imperial Stout, IPA... The wonderful world of real beer.

IPA stands for India Pale Ale. The Brits discovered long ago that shipping beer all the way to India didn't work well. The beer went bad. By adding a lot of extra hops to the beer the hops acted as a preservative and kept the beer from going bad. Thus, IPA is a pretty strongly hopped beer.

There is an urban legend that Ben Franklin once said, "Beer is God's way of telling us he loves us and wants us to be happy."

Note: As stated above, this really is an urban legend but, even though there is no actual proof that old Ben actually said this, it's a good story.

The actual quote is from a letter written by Ben when he was in Paris in 1779 to the Abbe Morlett and was about rain and wine. The portion of the letter reads: We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy. The miracle in question was only performed to hasten the operation, under circumstances of present necessity, which required it.

Sorry. Got carried away. :D

It's an IPA. If your husband normally drinks "regular" American beer then it's only natural that he didn't like it. IPA has a lot of hops. Most American beer contains hardly any hops at all.

My wife used to think she hated beer. When she tried real beer she discovered she loves it. Budweiser, Coors, etc. aren't what beer is about. The rest of the world has been laughing at Americans for a very long time because all we had was horrible swill that we called beer. When we drink imports many Americans drink Corona. Blech... What awful stuff.

We are fortunate that the craft beer market has exploded and there are now a lot of truly wonderful beers available. Brown Ale, Stout, Imperial Stout, IPA... The wonderful world of real beer.

IPA stands for India Pale Ale. The Brits discovered long ago that shipping beer all the way to India didn't work well. The beer went bad. By adding a lot of extra hops to the beer the hops acted as a preservative and kept the beer from going bad. Thus, IPA is a pretty strongly hopped beer.

There is an urban legend that Ben Franklin once said, "Beer is God's way of telling us he loves us and wants us to be happy."

Note: As stated above, this really is an urban legend but, even though there is no actual proof that old Ben actually said this, it's a good story.

The actual quote is from a letter written by Ben when he was in Paris in 1779 to the Abbe Morlett and was about rain and wine. The portion of the letter reads: We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy. The miracle in question was only performed to hasten the operation, under circumstances of present necessity, which required it.

I actually can't wait to try their IPA next year. I've been stuck on the Bastard series of beers by Stone brewery. 👍

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Eddieboysr

It will be interesting to see which of your two categories it fits into!

I actually can't wait to try their IPA next year. I've been stuck on the Bastard series of beers by Stone brewery. ��

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When you visit the UK, my recommendation would be to try it, but don't focus too heavily on IPA. Instead, wherever you are in the country, try the local 'real ale'.

These are normally a 'bitter' beer. Most breweries produce a range if ales which vary in strength from around SG 3.8 to around 5.4. Flavours will vary from locality to locality but all will have a much stronger flavour of hops than most US citizens are used to.

When I was working and had colleagues over from the US, I always got the landlord to offer my guests a small wine glass of around three different beers on tap for them to taste before they decided which one to order.

I would expect that, in any village pub, but perhaps less so in a city centre pub, if any visitor with a US accent asks to try the flavours on offer, the landlord will appreciate your interest and be only too pleased to offer you a small sample of each beer.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

You wrote what I was thinking.

To some of us, having only Bud, Bud Lite, Coors, etc., on board is like having only Boones Farm and Mogan David for a selection of wine.