Shade at Trunk Bay or Sapphire Beach?

karen_g

I love the beach but am white as a ghost :) and need to try to stay in the shade most of the time when I am out of the water. Are there shady spots (trees, huts, umbrellas?) available at either Trunk Bay on St. John or Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas? Thanks for any info!

There is not too much shade at Trunk Bay but there is plenty at Sapphire Beach. Lots of sea grape trees to sit under there.

We just spent 10 days in St.Thomas/St.John - at sapphire beach resort, in fact. It's a nice beach but Trunk - and Cinnamon - over on St. John are truly spectacular.

There are several shade trees at Trunk Bay at the top of the beach. We set up camp under one the last time I was there. Get there early, if you want to be assured of getting a shady spot.

Thank you both for your replies! Since I will only be there for 1 day I am having a terrible time deciding between going over to Trunk Bay for the day or else staying on St. Thomas. Decisions, decisions... :)

Personally, I think the beaches are more beautiful at St. John. Trunk Bay is bigger and if you snorkel, the underwater snorkeling trail is there (though the snorkelling is decent at Sapphire, too). If it were me, I'd opt for Trunk Bay. But you can't really go wrong with either beach!

on our first visit to ST. Thomas we went over to Trunk Bay and it was wonderful. On our second visit, we were trying to decide whether to go back or whether to stay on St. Thomas and decided ahead of time that if it was a spectacular day we would go back to Trunk Bay and if it wasn't, we'd stay on St. Thomas. It was very overcast, threatening rain, so we decided to stay on St. Thomas and had a wonderful day.

We went a third time and had some friends with us who had never been to St. Thomas and they didn't want to get on a ferry, so we stayed on St. Thomas once again.

It's really a no lose situation! Enjoy your cruise!

Let me just add in I think Trunk Bay is beautiful and well worth the time and money to get there...Do plan on it taking about an hour each way there and back and I think for the 2 of us it was about $75 for cab, ferries and entrance fee into to the park but again it was well worth it. I think it depends on if you want to have time for shopping as well as beach....

Archived