Slipping?

Gail5863

We had a couple of concerns that were initially unanswered also. However, after I submitted a second letter via e-mail, we received a wonderful letter from the new director of the Venetian Society, Signe Bjorndal. She attempted to answer me thru my email address, but due to some glitch, was unable to. But did she drop it? No, not at all. When we boarded the ship in May, we were immediately given a copy of the letter and a duplicate had also been sent to our TA as well as to our home! Now I consider that ABOVE and BEYOND service! I would continue sailing SS in a heartbeat. Their service is second to none and the onboard staff becomes your 'friend' during the cruise. Whatever problems you had, I am confident could have been resolved thru appropriate channels.

So if this is true .... after "NUMEROUS" bad experiences - why did you keep going bacK?! I can't reconcile this - you are either being untruthful, grossly exagerating or you genuinely keep going back after NUMEROUS bad experiences.

Which one is it?

How sadly disrespectful you are. Whether you can 'reconcile this', or anything for that matter, is not my concern. But to call me a liar is rude, arrogant, and pompous. Perhaps your upcoming cruise will soften your inexplicable edge.

How sadly disrespectful you are. Whether you can 'reconcile this', or anything for that matter, is not my concern. But to call me a liar is rude, arrogant, and pompous. Perhaps your upcoming cruise will soften your inexplicable edge.

You seem to have over-reacted, as I have very carefully not said a single thing that was disresepctful and I CERTAINLY did not call you a liar which you claim - these are your words not mine! Perhaps your read "untruthful" and interpreted something else? Many people say untruthful things that they genuinely believe and are therefore not liars. Children do it all the time and we don't call them liars do we? I gave you the benefit of the doubt and a chance to respond. A Freudian misinterpretation on your part perhaps?

I take it that means you're simply not going to explain as others have asked you what specifically your complaint is and how come you've got numerous letters on file - and whether this relates to one complaint or several. Reasonable questions from people who you have taken considerable trouble to cause to be concerned.

You posted the damaging comments about Silversea and decided to claim that you have evidence that they are going bust and other customers were risking their money if they booked by them. You accused them of breach of contract, and of providing poor service and being unresponsive. You took every opportunity to say these things but refused to simply expand and provide any credible detail. You want others not to book with them and those that have to worry about their choice. You have been asked several times by people and ignored every request to provide some detail of what you claim. The more you post such extreme comments without providing reasonable answers to reasonable questions the more your posts APPEAR to be malicous. I and others merely gave you the opportunity to correct the impression you had given, which you so far haven't done.

Most people understand the concept of "fair play" and you seek to cause Silversea and it's comparatively good reputation damage by posting at the moment unsubstantiated claims that are difficult to understand and which you refuse to explain and which you know full well Silversea are unlikely to respond to on these boards. You only like an open goal and object when challenged.

I'm pleased you find my attitude uncomfortable and I think that your response above - or more accurately your continued lack of response says it all.

We just returned from a 16-day Norwegin fjord cruise on Silver Cloud; it was our first experience with Silverseas, but surely will not be our last (we booked a 2005 sailing while onboard). As we have cruised with Seabourn many times, I was looking forward to comparing the two lines.

SS was definitely NOT an inferior product! The filipino staff was wonderful, always remembering our drink (soft as well as hard) preferences, and service was instantaneous. The maitre d', Luc Cros, a friend from Seabourn, recognized us and welcomed us on board his "new" favorite line. We also knew Scott (tour manager) from previous sailings on Royal Viking, before and after the Sun's ownership by Seabourn and it was a treat seeing him again. He is without a doubt the finest excursion manager afloat.

Food is superb, service as well, the Captain gracious and friendly. Bulgari amenities were replaced daily, our ice bucket was full enough for us--twice a day--, and our stewardesses invisibly efficient.

Obviously I could not see any "deteriorization" of quality on our first cruise, but I can assure that if there was any, it must have been the Chariot of the Gods before!

Don't worry bldsld--you'll love it.

ss IS NO LONGER A PRIME CRUISE LINE, BASED ON OUR RECENT EXPERIENCES, AND THAT OF OUR BRITISH FRIENDS.

GIVEN SIGNIFCANT DEPRARTURE OF KEY EXECUTIVES, HEAVILY DISCOUNTED CRUISES TO ACCUMULATE MUCH NEEDED CASH, AND CONTINUED DETERIORATING SERVICE OVER THE LAST 2 YEARS, SILVERSEAS IS NO LONGER A DEPENDABLE AND CONSISTENT CRUISE LINE..... TAKE YOUR CHANCES WITH YOUR BOOKING.. OR CONSIDER THE MANY FINE ALTERNATIVES LIKE RSSC, ORIENT,. CELEBRITY.

THE LINE IS IN SERIOUS TROUBLE...WATCH CLOSELY OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL MONTHS!!...IMPORTANT NEWS TO FOLLOW....

I have to agree with UK1, in that you have raised concerns to several of us who have booked and are new to the line, yet you refuse to explain specifically why you believe that "the line is in serious trouble...important news to follow". As I stated in an earlier post, if your goal was to alarm, you have succeeded. Having said that, it is difficult to take your comments seriously at this point in time, as you refuse to elaborate.

If you truly believe what you have posted, then be responsible by telling us what you base your comments on.

bldsld

Hi Winner,

Thanks for the thumbs-up! Interesting that you found a Seabourn alum working onboard---that bodes well for the cruise, IMHO. Your review sounds like you had a great time.

So glad that you enjoyed your cruise!

Regards,

bldsld

Greta, you seem to be "at it again" looking for any opportunity to trash Silversea - however old the posts are that you're responding to! Is this a profession? Are you an upset previous employee perhaps?

In thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com./showthread.php?t=33572

I asked you the following - but received no reply - how about a reply now? I asked you:

>>"Just checking .... did you decide not to use Silversea as a result of this advice? Also was the advice from your ta that it was just Silversea out of Athen's that was a "BIG target" or Silverse in total? Surely a BIG boat is a BIGGER target? Strange advice. A travel agent advising it's customers NOT to travel at a time when most others I don't think would offer quite that advice?!

I ask because in another thread ("Silversea in trouble ...... again??") you were suggesting that the cruiseline was in financial trouble and complaining that Silversea wouldn't honour a credit? I haven't seen any evidence at all that they are "in trouble" and that there has been "lots of executive moves" I find the treatment you claim difficult to reconcile to my experience of them.

In another "Silver Wind is the poorest of the fleet-- not..." you said "Silver Wind is the poorest of the fleet-- not worth the time nor experience. We believe it's SS' training and economy-focused ship-- understaffed, poor service at times, inconsistent cuisine,..."

These threads might seem to some cynics (perhaps unfairly and wrongly) that this was a part of a negative PR campaign for a company for some reason you were trying to damage - perhaps a competitor?

It does seem very strange that someone who has such a negative impression of them and who fears traveling with them SO much would want to cruise with them and chat to a ta about re-booking with them.

Just wanted to offer the opportunity to you to clarify what seems to be puzzling inconsistencies."<<

Answer Greta - or please stop posting.

For others who may be concerned by the post - and want to judge for themselves Greta's other undeleted posts are:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com./search.php?searchid=63414

Also - with respect to the moderators desire to delete - I'm puzzled as to why you will allow yourselves to be exposed to possible charges of publishing defamatory / slanderous remarks which might have a considerable financial outcome for the boards owners.

sorry, moderator-- didn't see my latest comments were captured

Hi UK1,

I think the overall theme from most posters is that they are quite satisfied with Silversea, and we are thus really looking forward to our cruise. If it is even half as good as our experiences on Seabourn (and I expect it will be comparable), we will have a fabulous cruise!

I'm therefore choosing to ignore the single negative poster who obviously has a hidden agenda that is now of no interest to me whatsoever. Perhaps we should let the thread die its most deserving death. :-)

On a more pleasant subject, I hope you enjoy your cruise next month, and look forward to your review!

Kind regards,

Denyse (bldsld)

Hi UK1,

I think the overall theme from most posters is that they are quite satisfied with Silversea, and we are thus really looking forward to our cruise. If it is even half as good as our experiences on Seabourn (and I expect it will be comparable), we will have a fabulous cruise!

I'm therefore choosing to ignore the single negative poster who obviously has a hidden agenda that is now of no interest to me whatsoever. Perhaps we should let the thread die its most deserving death. :-)

On a more pleasant subject, I hope you enjoy your cruise next month, and look forward to your review!

Kind regards,

Denyse (bldsld)

Many thanks - yes I agree with you - I was just genuinely concerned that some might be alarmed- but agree that any more is TOO much.

Yep we can't wait and we're starting to plan next years. Hope you enjoy yours.

uk1

uk1 and others

Thanks for all of your input here. I have been watching this thread and it confirms to me that, whilst Greta is entitled to her opinion, I have gained much more info from the positive and objective views made by others and we are still no further forward with the "Silversea in trouble" remark.

I will definitely be booking a Silversea cruise for Spring next year and cannot wait. I'll keep you posted on what we decide and more importantly, how it went.

Regards.

Phil:)

We will be on the Silver Whisper next week and both my husband and I are looking forward to the Silversea experience. We will give our opinion when we return and have a good feeling it will be favorable.

Have a great time

Greta, can I ask, exactly what happened?

Yes.

We had unbelievable noise problems through the middle of the night, each night, on the SilverWind. We were not able to change cabins, due to a 'full' ship. And despite many verbal apologies, SS did nothing to alleviate or compensate for this terrible inconvenience. In fact, the Hotel Director admitted that this problem had existed and not been fixed by Engineering.

Our frustration was compounded when we found out SS had known this was a problem even before we booked!

We also were on the Wind after they had recruited a majority of new and inexperienced crew. Though they are apparently trying to develop and train the newly hired staff, we had poor cabin service, very inconsistent dining experiences. and numerous apologies from the Hotel Director and Officers. The many SS loyalists we encountered were also very dismayed by the obviously poor SS service. Many cited "cost cutting" as the likely explanantion.

We were assured by the Silver Wind officers that SS HQs would be attentive and responsive to the poor experience that so many of us had. But now as it turns out, SS is undergoing management and policy changes to the detriment of customer satisfaction and loyalty. We were told even more changes are forthcoming. They have stated to us directly that they are willing to lose past customers rather than compensate for acknowledged problems.

For us, at least, this is not the mark of a committed, customer-focused luxury line, but rather one that is struggling with it's "service promise" and pretense of ultra-luxury identity.

Consistency and customer focus are paramount to our cruise experience -- SS let us down on several fronts, several times, and we'll

cruise elsewhere.

[quote name='charvella']UK1.....
Does the Whisper have a Photographer?[/QUOTE]

I didn't see any evidence of a photogrpaher and no evidence of posed photographs with the captain etc. It's an informal "diy" approach.

[quote name='greta']Yes.
We had unbelievable noise problems through the middle of the night, each night, on the SilverWind. We were not able to change cabins, due to a 'full' ship. And despite many verbal apologies, SS did nothing to alleviate or compensate for this terrible inconvenience. In fact, the Hotel Director admitted that this problem had existed and not been fixed by Engineering.
Our frustration was compounded when we found out SS had known this was a problem even before we booked!

We also were on the Wind after they had recruited a majority of new and inexperienced crew. Though they are apparently trying to develop and train the newly hired staff, we had poor cabin service, very inconsistent dining experiences. and numerous apologies from the Hotel Director and Officers. The many SS loyalists we encountered were also very dismayed by the obviously poor SS service. Many cited "cost cutting" as the likely explanantion.

We were assured by the Silver Wind officers that SS HQs would be attentive and responsive to the poor experience that so many of us had. But now as it turns out, SS is undergoing management and policy changes to the detriment of customer satisfaction and loyalty. We were told even more changes are forthcoming. They have stated to us directly that they are willing to lose past customers rather than compensate for acknowledged problems.

For us, at least, this is not the mark of a committed, customer-focused luxury line, but rather one that is struggling with it's "service promise" and pretense of ultra-luxury identity.

Consistency and customer focus are paramount to our cruise experience -- SS let us down on several fronts, several times, and we'll
cruise elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

It is regrettable that you had a bad experience. If what happened is exactly as you have said then you will have a good strong claim in court for negligence and breach of contract, and that is what you should do, particularly if as you say you are in contact with numerous other customers who feel exactly as you do.

In the interests of fair play we should also note that at the moment we have only your account of things and I know through my own businesses that the type of response a customer receives often depends on how the complainant behaves and how they put their case. It MAY be (and none of us of course know but it does seem clear that they feel this way from what you have said - and we have seen how you correspond with others on this board) that they they objected to your claim and your demands on the basis that they thought you were exagerating (your note above is littered with superlatives) and making unwarranted compensation claims and / or they may have objected to the way you made them. Some people threaten to "tell everyone else" including the internet and press and promise to cause damage to reputations and attempt to blackmail companies that do not meet their claims and this will make most reputable companies dig their heels in.

To be fair you have done everything you can on these boards to damage them on many many fronts including telling people that "you have been told that silversea customers are vulnerable to terrorists attacks". In my personal opinion you have been behaving like a bitter customer intent on causing damage rather than a customer genuinely attempting to tell people in a balanced and fair way about your grievance. You have basically said that the whole product is trash ie all ships/ all staff because of a single bad cruise experience. Hence you lost a lot of sympathy here.

We don't know the strength of what you say and how you handled yourself but I complained to them about my straps (see the other threads) and got a letter and replacement straps from the MD. I thought they handled my complaint very well indeed, and whilst I wasn't reassured by the security issues I raised I'm content that under the circumstances they answered me as best they could.

There may indeed be reasons that they know but we don't - but can only guess at as to why they said >>>They have stated to us directly that they are willing to lose past customers rather than compensate for (acknowledged? - your words) problems.<<<< to you and why they do not want you to sail with them again, and they are entitled to feel that way and from your comments you have taken their hint and will sail with other cruise lines in future.

"There may indeed be reasons that they know but we don't - but can only guess at as to why they said >>>They have stated to us directly that they are willing to lose past customers rather than compensate for (acknowledged? - your words) problems.<<<< to you and why they do not want you to sail with them again, and they are entitled to feel that way and from your comments you have taken their hint and will sail with other cruise lines in future."

This may be a side note, but cruise lines (including Silversea) have been known to warn or even ban abusive passengers. This makes sense, especially on a luxury line where passengers who are spending thousands of dollars expect a refined or at least civil atmosphere. One or two loud, abusive complainers can ruin the cruise experience for other passengers and damage crew morale. So, if a passenger who used the kind of invective that we've seen on this board threatened to take her business elsewhere, I'd be inclined to count my blessings.

Having sailed on Silversea (all 4 ships) for a total of over 600 days, I do feel qualified to submit my opinion. Has the line changed >>>YES..... BUT....IMO It is till the best there is!!! The service as always is excellent!!! The food is satisfactory, but they will always accomodate me in whatever way I prefer to have my meals served.....& not because of my longevity as a passenger ..they do this with all of their passengers that request it like a lady or gentleman. I have been on other lines...Seabourn, Radisson, Crystal, and a few of the other mass market ships. Silversea is still the BEST.... Does it have faults ...you bet....name something or someone in life that doesn't. I really get upset with folks who are ready to demean a cruise line because of a couple of problems. I have met many folks who, when they contact the right people aboard and present it in a ladylike or gentlemanly way regarding a problem, have it solved to their satisfaction. Thanks for letting me blow off steam.. Enjoy the ships THEY ARE WONDERFUL!!!!!!

[quote name='justan']Having sailed on Silversea (all 4 ships) for a total of over 600 days, I do feel qualified to submit my opinion. Has the line changed >>>YES..... BUT....IMO It is till the best there is!!!.... Enjoy the ships THEY ARE WONDERFUL!!!!!![/QUOTE]

It's worth noting that TRAVEL + LEISURE has just given Silversea its sixth "World's Best" award, based on a readers' poll. Silversea won the "Best Small-Ship Line" title for the third year in a row. The full press release is at:

[url]http://www.silversea.com/why_ss/pr90.asp[/url]

And the T+L poll "Small-Ship Cruise Line" results are at:

[url]http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/results.cfm?cat=otherccruisessmall[/url]

The poll's methodology is described at:

[url]http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/methodology2004.cfm[/url]

[quote name='justan']Having sailed on Silversea (all 4 ships) for a total of over 600 days, I do feel qualified to submit my opinion. I have met many folks who, when they contact the right people aboard and present it in a ladylike or gentlemanly way regarding a problem, have it solved to their satisfaction. Thanks for letting me blow off steam.. Enjoy the ships THEY ARE WONDERFUL!!!!!![/QUOTE]

You are most welcome. 600 days! If anyone should know you should - and your attitude that perfection is impossible - but they at least try is spot on.

When is your next SS cruise - and to where?

[quote name='justan']Our next SS cruise is on the Wind over the Christmas holiday.. we will do a pre-cruise to Easter Island, then on the ship from Valparaiso[/QUOTE]

Wonderful! Forgive me asking - but which is your favourite ship and why? Also if your favourite is your favourite because "it was your first" then which is the second favourite and why?

Our first was the Wind......BUT our favorite is the Cloud.....probably because our longest cruise...72 days... was the Odyssey cruise on the Cloud.....a spectacular experience.
We do prefer the smaller ships....even though many of the amenities in the suites are better on the larger ones. We find that the fewer the guests the easier to get to know the other passengers.

[quote name='justan']Our first was the Wind......BUT our favorite is the Cloud.....probably because our longest cruise...72 days... was the Odyssey cruise on the Cloud.....a spectacular experience.
We do prefer the smaller ships....even though many of the amenities in the suites are better on the larger ones. We find that the fewer the guests the easier to get to know the other passengers.[/QUOTE]

Interesting that your favourite wasn't your first. I haven't been on either the cloud or wind - but it's my impression that they are identical. Is this is not so - do they have different personalities even though on paper they're identical? If so what makes them different? Two cruises I'm contemplating for '05 are on wind and cloud.

Do you not get bored and sort of "fed up" during a 72 days cruise? The same thing day in day out but in a very confined space? I ask because having spent a lot of time in very good hotels on business, I developed a way of cooking fairly sophisitcated but simple meals on a bed-side tea-maker - because I got fed up after two weeks of rich hotel restaurant food - after trip after trip. I could cook instant potato, peas and franfurters all on the bed!! So When I think about your cruise of 72 days I wonder how anyone can still look forward to the same food, the same conversations with strangers etc day in day out. Forgive the question - but is it great in hindsight and retrospect but less great at the time - or did you truly and really enjoy every day at the time?

Hope you don't mind the questions - but your experience is invaluable.

Archived