Any must go to places to eat?

Ocean_Waves

Hello,

We leave for our cruise tomorrow and land in San Juan at 4:20pm. We will be staying at the Marriott Stelloris hotel. I would like to take my wife out to a fantastic genuine San Juan meal. Anyone have any recommendations? It would be greatly appreciated!

Hello,

We leave for our cruise tomorrow and land in San Juan at 4:20pm. We will be staying at the Marriott Stelloris hotel. I would like to take my wife out to a fantastic genuine San Juan meal. Anyone have any recommendations? It would be greatly appreciated!

A dining experience?

One word

MARMALADE

;)

I've heard Marmalade is great, and my wife and I are going there on our next trip to San Juan. However, you should also consider Pikayo. It is headed by Puerto Rican Chef Wilo Benet. Among other things, he is the former Chef de Cuisine at La Fortaleza (the governor's mansion) in Old San Juan, and a former director/instructor for the Culinary Institute of America's Puerto Rico program.

My wife and I went to Pikayo a couple years ago and loved it. Aside from the à la carte options, there were two versions of a Chef's multi-course (don't remember how many courses) tasting menu - one traditional and one Puerto-Rican themed. We ordered one of each, and then shared each course. It was a great experience, and we walked there from La Concha, so I'm thinking it would also be within walking distance of the Stellaris.

Tom

I've heard Marmalade is great, and my wife and I are going there on our next trip to San Juan. However, you should also consider Pikayo. It is headed by Puerto Rican Chef Wilo Benet. Among other things, he is the former Chef de Cuisine at La Fortaleza (the governor's mansion) in Old San Juan, and a former director/instructor for the Culinary Institute of America's Puerto Rico program.

My wife and I went to Pikayo a couple years ago and loved it. Aside from the à la carte options, there were two versions of a Chef's multi-course (don't remember how many courses) tasting menu - one traditional and one Puerto-Rican themed. We ordered one of each, and then shared each course. It was a great experience, and we walked there from La Concha, so I'm thinking it would also be within walking distance of the Stellaris.

Tom

Thank you for the indirect heads up, will give it a try and book Pikayo for our next trip in January.

One question, is there a good wine list?

Thank you for the indirect heads up, will give it a try and book Pikayo for our next trip in January.

One question, is there a good wine list?

I have to presume there's a good wine list, but because we had set our sights on the tasting menus with wine pairings before we even set foot in the restaurant, I didn't even ask for a wine list. I can say that I remember quite enjoying the wine pairings though.

Any suggestions on places to have a late lunch in Old San Juan?

By the time we disembark the ship and check in to our hotel (15-20 min from Old San Juan) we will probably have lunch at around 3pm or 4pm.

Would Mermalade still be good option? Any other options?

Any suggestions on places to have a late lunch in Old San Juan?

By the time we disembark the ship and check in to our hotel (15-20 min from Old San Juan) we will probably have lunch at around 3pm or 4pm.

Would Mermalade still be good option? Any other options?

In OSJ, we head for Toro Salao. It's a tapas-like place, except I think they call the style something else. Parrot Club (owned by the same people) is also good. They had a Caribbean twist on nachos, using fried plantains, that was really interesting. If 15-20 minutes from OSJ puts you in the Condado area, we loved Bar Gitano. It is a tapas place. The pool bar at La Concha also has some really good stuff. Marmalade is only a dinner place, opening at 5:30.

Tom

Edited by tightlyinterfaced

In OSJ, we head for Toro Salao. It's a tapas-like place, except I think they call the style something else. Parrot Club (owned by the same people) is also good. They had a Caribbean twist on nachos, using fried plantains, that was really interesting. If 15-20 minutes from OSJ puts you in the Condado area, we loved Bar Gitano. It is a tapas place. The pool bar at La Concha also has some really good stuff. Marmalade is only a dinner place, opening at 5:30.

Tom

We will be staying at the San Juan Water and Beach Club...any places in that area that have good authentic Puerto Rican food? Maybe we can just have lunch in the area before heading to Old San Juan, then have dinner at Mermalade.

Edited by NayaSantaFe

We will be staying at the San Juan Water and Beach Club...any places in that area that have good authentic Puerto Rican food? Maybe we can just have lunch in the area before heading to Old San Juan, then have dinner at Mermalade.

Any input on Metropol? I have been reading about it, but it seems like their specialty is cuban food, does anyone know if they serve Puerto Rican food?