Carnival Dive Operator Costa Maya?

divinmule

It was Dreamtime when we were there. If I was in Costa Maya again, I would seek other options.

They didn't keep any weights on the boat, you had to get them from the shop across the street and take them yourself to the boat. At the shop, the staff refused to strip weights off of a weight belt so I could use the proper weight size in my integrated weight BCD. They would not let anyone take a mesh bag on board the boat. I ended up putting my wet suit on standing up in the pouring rain because I couldn't take my bag on the boat and there was nowhere to get dressed. We had to leave our gear bags unattended out in the parking lot. Their staff was too busy standing under an umbrella that day, too help out any of their customers.

On board the boat most of the tanks were only filled to 2800. They said that was ok. They did not have a single extra tank on board. Our second dive was delayed because the dive guide could not find the single remaining unused tank. Not a good situation in the event of an emergency.

A second group from the ship that was on another boat only got to do one dive because their boat was sinking. They returned to the dock after discovering this problem at the first dive site. The second boat couldn't get the engines started. By the time they got a third boat running, they could only do one dive.

Edited by divezonescuba

Thanks for the info.

Our port time is horrible for this stop...7am (6am their time) to 1pm (12noon):( so I am really afraid booking outside the ship might be really hard at this port that's why I wondered about the cruise operator. Looks like they are our most likely option.

Anyone have experience with other operators that are willing to work around such a tight port schedule?

Since a few years ago when I first dove at Costa Maya, and after the hurricane Wilma, many more dive ops sprung up. Most are pretty good.

This past Aug. I went with Gypsey Divers (at the Nacional Beach Club). They were pretty good. The owner's wife is a Canadian from Montreal. Not a big outfit, but pretty good.

Of course the price is 1/2 of what you'd pay the cruiseline. We also had a table and lounge chairs at the Nacional Beach Club to enjoy for the time we were there.