Best place to rent scooter

hospvol

Please call your cruise line .....there is a new rule saying you must have an hc room to have a scooter and the line also works with one or two companies you rent from so they will tell you who to call....

There is NO new rule that states that you must have an accessible cabin if requiring a mobility scooter for cruises embarking from a USA port.

I will be traveling out of Ft. Lauderdale. I do not have a handicap accessible room, so I need a narrow one. I will also have to arrange for a wheel chair for embarkation and debarkation.

The approved rental companies for Princess Cruise are:

http://www.CareVacations.com

or

http://www.Specialneedsatsea.com

It's important to note that all mobility scooters are rented based on weight capacity of the scooter vs. users weight. The rental company will make the final determination as to the type of scooter that will be provided and whether it will fit through the door of a standard cabin. Also if there are any tendered ports on your itinerary you should read this link http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Passengers%20with%20Limited%20Mobility.pdf

Suggest you contact the Princess Access office at 661-284-4408 to arrange for wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation.

My husband rents a scooter for all our cruises and we never have a handicap room, ever. He rents the largest scooter that Care Vacations has and it fits through the door.

Care Vacations service is excellent and the scooters are very well maintained.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

My husband rents a scooter for all our cruises and we never have a handicap room, ever. He rents the largest scooter that Care Vacations has and it fits through the door.

Care Vacations service is excellent and the scooters are very well maintained.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Have you considered purchasing a scooter rather than renting one? I purchased mine 4 years ago and the cost has more than paid for itself. Only last month I had to replace the batteries. I use it for theme parks and shopping malls, in addition to taking the scooter on cruises. Otherwise, I would be in terrible pain and unable to enjoy these activities with my family.

So we own a scooter and take it with us on cruises out of Galveston and will be taking it out of NOLA in February since we are driving there. When we have to fly into a port we rent the scooter since it is easier than having to load it and unload it to and from car, plane and transfers to and from hotel. It is in the stateroom when we arrive and we leave it in the stateroom at the end of the cruise. We get wheelchair assistance on and off the ship since my wife's issue is walking distances and climbing stairs.

A few years ago I purchased a “TravelScoot I” with belt drive, and no reverse. When the “TravelScoot II", with direct motor drive in the left rear wheel, and reverse drive, came out, I bought one of those, and put the first one up for sale, with no luck.

I have used both for shopping, and traveling by air and cruising, it’s light enough (35 lbs) for me to lift it into my minivan, even with 2 batteries. When flying, I drive it right up to the door of the aircraft, put the batteries in to the travel bag, lower the steering yolk, and go to my seat, as a crew member or baggage handler stashes the scooter, with the strollers.

At the destination, I disembark last, and by this time the scooter is by the door, I put everything together, and away I go.

Aboard ship, I can get into tight places (turns) better most other scooters.

Due to the motor being in the left wheel, you can turn right on a dime, like driving in to the left side of an elevator, turn around to the right, and drive out, of course this manuever depends on how full the elevator is. ;)

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines. :D

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

I have used both for shopping, and traveling by air and cruising, it’s light enough (35 lbs) for me to lift it into my minivan, even with 2 batteries. When flying, I drive it right up to the door of the aircraft, put the batteries in to the travel bag, lower the steering yolk, and go to my seat, as a crew member or baggage handler stashes the scooter, with the strollers.

This all sounds great, as I am rapidly approaching the time when owning my own scooter makes sense.

What I can't figure out, though, is how to maneuver my 2 carry-ons (one on wheels, one tote) when on the scooter. Is there room to pile them on?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

This all sounds great, as I am rapidly approaching the time when owning my own scooter makes sense.

What I can't figure out, though, is how to maneuver my 2 carry-ons (one on wheels, one tote) when on the scooter. Is there room to pile them on?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Total depends on the scooter and type/length/width of foot bed.

I use the Pride Go Go Elite traveler HD . Travel with an 18" roll-on, tote bag and walker with wheels. The 18" bag fits length wise on the scooter's foot bed partially under the seat with my legs/feet in front of it. Tote bag gets placed in the basket. The walker is U-Shaped and wraps around the front of the scooter. I than hold the walker with one hand while operating the scooter with the other. It's quite a site but have been doing this was quite some time now. Necessity is the mother of invention.

I use the Pride Go Go Elite traveler HD . Travel with an 18" roll-on, tote bag and walker with wheels. The 18" bag fits length wise on the scooter's foot bed partially under the seat with my legs/feet in front of it. Tote bag gets placed in the basket. The walker is U-Shaped and wraps around the front of the scooter. I than hold the walker with one hand while operating the scooter with the other. It's quite a site but have been doing this was quite some time now. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Thank you. I don't mind making a spectacle of myself, so long as I can get where I want to go, with everything I need. Your reply has been quite helpful.

Thank you. I don't mind making a spectacle of myself, so long as I can get where I want to go, with everything I need. Your reply has been quite helpful.

Ruth ,

Just noticed I made a mistake. The 18" roll-on fits WIDTH wise ( parallel to the front of the seat) on the scooter footbed. Not lengthwise as stated in my previous post That way my legs can fit in front of it.

Ruth ,

Just noticed I made a mistake. The 18" roll-on fits WIDTH wise ( parallel to the front of the seat) on the scooter footbed. Not lengthwise as stated in my previous post That way my legs can fit in front of it.

Thanks for the correction. I can't recall the size of my rolling carry-on, but I think it's 21". It would be a good idea to try the scooter on for size, by testing it with the suitcases and sitting down, before purchasing.

I cant go any smaller with the carry-on; it's barely big enough now. I used to use a 22", and it held everything. Funny how 1" makes such a difference.

I am so impressed! I use luggage straps to keep my 26" suitcase and my 20" carry-on together, and then I pull the suitcases alongside my scooter with my left hand, and drive the scooter with my right hand. When I travel, I use a crossbody purse to keep my hands free. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Special Needs at Sea is great and they can deliver just about any type of equipment that you may need, scooter, wheelchair, walker, etc., right to your room.This can be arranged through your travel agent. Certain cruise lines and rooms are more user friendly than others. Accessible rooms are not really necessary if using a scooter but getting out on the balconies can be tricky as there are lips going out onto the balcony. Have a great vaca!!:)