Where does fantasy dock in san juan, pr

Tink31258

Trying to plan our activities.

Thanks!

If you are visiting San Juan as a day port you will dock right in Old San Juan. Very easy to get around the city as there are free trolleys and you can also walk to many things. We stayed in Old San Juan before our September cruise (using a different dock since we were leaving out of OSJ) and we took the trolley over to El Morro (Fort). From there we took a free tram over to the other fort. A note on visiting the forts. If you have a US National Parks membership you get in free. If not it is (I think) $5 per adult and one admission gets you into both forts.

Thanks WDWLVR, I was hoping it would be in Old San Juan exactly for that convenience of being close to everything.

Appreciate the additional information about the forts; that's on our to-do-list.

I also am a lover of WDW!!!!! My favorite place on earth!

I think it makes a difference whether you are a day stop or you are embarking/disembarking there. Our September cruise terminated in San Juan and we were NOT in the old city area. We were at the newer terminal several miles away. We were told the we used the farther out dock because we were disembarking there.

I think it makes a difference whether you are a day stop or you are embarking/disembarking there. Our September cruise terminated in San Juan and we were NOT in the old city area. We were at the newer terminal several miles away. We were told the we used the farther out dock because we were disembarking there.

You are correct. Cruises that start or end in San Juan are in the further away terminal. Cruises that are visiting San Juan for a day use the Old San Juan terminal.

A word of warning. Disembarkation from the Magic in San Juan was the worst disembarkation experience we've had on ANY cruise line. My family has said they would rather not cruise than go thru that again.

We were told that DCL had told the port that they'd need 12 Customs agents and only 6 or 8 (depending on what you choose to believe) showed up. What I saw with my own eyes was DCL holding us in lounges and halls on the ship setting up stations with water and orange juice, etc. We were among the last off the ship feeling that we'd rather stay there and sit down than stand in line (it ultimately didn't matter). We left the ship about 10:15. At 12:00, we were still in line. At one point, the line split between US and non-US citizens, so our party had to separate. The US line did go faster--our EU friend was 30+ minutes later than we were. At another point, DCL sent up a call for anyone with a flight before 1:30, presumably to expedite those people. We had a 3:30 flight and I wasn't sure we'd make it!

About noon, I SAW the agents close 2 stations and take a lunch break. This with hundreds of people still waiting in line.

Note--none of this had anything to do with luggage--we kept our bags with us. It was all a Customs and Immigration issue. DCL had people out doing their best to expedite things, making sure we had all needed forms ready, etc.

I've been on DCL cruises where the big doors didn't open till after 9, and those situations ran smoother and faster than this one. I've heard from the people who got off at 7:30 that their situation was good. By the time we finished late breakfast, it was HORRIBLE.

A word of warning. Disembarkation from the Magic in San Juan was the worst disembarkation experience we've had on ANY cruise line. My family has said they would rather not cruise than go thru that again.

We were told that DCL had told the port that they'd need 12 Customs agents and only 6 or 8 (depending on what you choose to believe) showed up. What I saw with my own eyes was DCL holding us in lounges and halls on the ship setting up stations with water and orange juice' date=' etc. We were among the last off the ship feeling that we'd rather stay there and sit down than stand in line (it ultimately didn't matter). We left the ship about 10:15. At 12:00, we were still in line. At one point, the line split between US and non-US citizens, so our party had to separate. The US line did go faster--our EU friend was 30+ minutes later than we were. At another point, DCL sent up a call for anyone with a flight before 1:30, presumably to expedite those people. We had a 3:30 flight and I wasn't sure we'd make it!

About noon, I SAW the agents close 2 stations and take a lunch break. This with hundreds of people still waiting in line.

Note--none of this had anything to do with luggage--we kept our bags with us. It was all a Customs and Immigration issue. DCL had people out doing their best to expedite things, making sure we had all needed forms ready, etc.

I've been on DCL cruises where the big doors didn't open till after 9, and those situations ran smoother and faster than this one. I've heard from the people who got off at 7:30 that their situation was good. By the time we finished late breakfast, it was HORRIBLE.[/quote']

Were you on the Repo from the Med? We were on the other end of that. We were getting on that day and stood in the terminal with thousands of others for hours with no air conditioning. It was crazy.

I will say when we disembarked a week later it was smooth sailing and we were off the ship in minutes. That first day was a rough one for both those coming and going.

Were you on the Repo from the Med? We were on the other end of that. We were getting on that day and stood in the terminal with thousands of others for hours with no air conditioning. It was crazy.

I will say when we disembarked a week later it was smooth sailing and we were off the ship in minutes. That first day was a rough one for both those coming and going.

Yes, we were on the WBTA from Barcelona to San Juan. Glad to hear that a week later they had it worked out. Our situation was purely horrible. A rough end to a glorious cruise.

I suspect that the cabins were cleaned in a timely fashion, but they couldn't spiff up the public areas as that's where we were hanging out. DCL was good about things while we were held on the ship--we were NOT told to be in a particular public place (several rooms were open with munchies and beverages). CMs were around including several officers keeping an eye on things. Coloring pages and crayons appeared for the kids, etc. It was the time from leaving the ship to leaving the terminal that was really rough. As you noted, no air conditioning, nothing to do but stand in what seemed to be an endless line.

Edited by moki'smommy

Be advised that there is a LOT of security people and police and security dogs at the port.Its my understanding that there is more security due to drug smuggling,as we were watching the food and drink pallets being offloaded from trucks onto the ground with drug sniffing police dogs checking everything.This has been the only time I've seen so much security before boarding.Don't be worried,just keep your passport available at all times on the way onto the ship.You'll be checked a number of times.Its actually for your own safety!;)

You are correct. Cruises that start or end in San Juan are in the further away terminal. Cruises that are visiting San Juan for a day use the Old San Juan terminal.

The exception to this is Carnivval. They own a terminal right in Old San Juan. Their ships will embark and disembark where others make day stops.