Carers on cruises

whippet

Just back from a nice break on Arcadia

While on the ship there was an old lady confined to a wheelchair, she had 2 carers and as the lady seemed unable to do anything herself I assume that there were 2 so that she had round the clock care.

How ever the carers seemed to spend every night getting drunk and swearing and not in the company of the lady who they were caring for

Now I know some will say I'm nosey but if they are being paid to care for someone they should do just that.

Were they paid for carers? Definitely not relatives? Maybe they had contracted hours up to say 9pm, then they were off duty? Maybe she preferred to be alone without being "watched" or maybe you are right the carers saw it as a p*** up rather than a job?

Hard to say....

Edited by richleeds

Were they paid for carers? Definitely not relatives? Maybe they had contracted hours up to say 9pm, then they were off duty? Maybe she preferred to sleep alone without being "watched" or maybe you are right the carers saw it as a p*** up rather than a job?

Hard to say....[/quote

They were on the booze about 6:30 without the lady in the wheelchair.

As you say don't know the story behind it to be fair, but it is worrying

You see a lot of carers on cruises and the majority are excellent and do a fantastic job

Thats a shame, they could have been family/friends, or paid until a certain time, but I would have thought she would have needed carers all the time.

My friend and 5 of her colleagues went for one chap, and they had a set day off with another while 3 were working and it alternated

While on the ship there was an old lady confined to a wheelchair, she had 2 carers and as the lady seemed unable to do anything herself I assume that there were 2 so that she had round the clock care.

How ever the carers seemed to spend every night getting drunk and swearing and not in the company of the lady who they were caring for

Now I know some will say I'm nosey but if they are being paid to care for someone they should do just that.

Unless you know the full facts wouldn't it be best not to comment , you may jump to the wrong conclusion otherwise.:eek:

I saw enough to make an educated guess, it's what you do in life, there are many times in life when people don't get involved that lead to tragedy.

So I will continue to raise questions when I see something wrong.

What? Raise questions on a forum after the event, but not sufficiently concerned whilst on board to query it.

Sorry, but I really don't see the purpose of the thread.

I saw enough to make an educated guess, it's what you do in life, there are many times in life when people don't get involved that lead to tragedy.

Which is an admirable thing to do - but in this case you haven't really done anything admirable or worthwhile by making assumptions on here, and you haven't got involved to prevent a tragedy. Raising concerns or questions is good, making generalised allegations doesn't achieve anything.

What? Raise questions on a forum after the event, but not sufficiently concerned whilst on board to query it.

Sorry, but I really don't see the purpose of the thread.

Firstly if you see no point in the thread why comment (unless your trolling)

Secondly raise with who P&O are not responsible

I raised the question to see if anyone else has had simular experiences

So did you approach one of ther "carers" and raise questions or did you say nothing and then voice your concerns on here which is a totally pointless and futile thing to do as it solves nothing. By the way educated guesses when not in full evidence of the facts can be very dangerous.

Edited by majortom10

Which is an admirable thing to do - but in this case you haven't really done anything admirable or worthwhile by making assumptions on here, and you haven't got involved to prevent a tragedy. Raising concerns or questions is good, making generalised allegations doesn't achieve anything.

Not trying to be admirable, it was something to raise to see if others have experienced this

But I have noticed increasingly that there some on here that think they have the right to decide which post should be on here. I wrongly assumed this was an Open Forum

I think many of us have actually witnessed something comparable. We witnessed the carers taking their charge round to the shows whilst they ordered drinks for themselves. And no we didn't raise the issue.

How can we....it isn't the cruise lines problem....if the relatives have booked the cruise plus carers then perhaps they should be setting up some monitoring. If it's a SS package.......probably no monitoring at all......

In other words....we have no idea about these situations.....we witness them, but the cruise line accept the money, just as they accept money from all their passengers at the point of reservation it is x + y+z.....could be any set up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have just returned back from a Canary Island cruise on Arcadia. We did see a lady in a wheelchair with 2 carers with her quite a few times. We saw them sat on the promenade deck getting fresh air in the morning with the lady well wrapped up when we were doing our circuits!! Also saw them in the lift a couple of times and they were always in the dining room on a table for 3 when we went to dine on second sitting - walked past them every night and they were definitely not drunk then. They would not have left the dining room until at least 9.30pm. They certainly seemed to be caring for her ok.

Maybe these were not the ones which you saw?:confused:

Not trying to be admirable, it was something to raise to see if others have experienced this

But I have noticed increasingly that there some on here that think they have the right to decide which post should be on here. I wrongly assumed this was an Open Forum

I am certainly not one of "those" people: I was just pointing out that you have made assumptions based on what you have seen and then reported it on here acting as judge, jury and executioner. You haven't instigated discussion about what people can do if they see something like this, or asked for advice about what options people have in these cases, or asked what other people have (or would have) done

If you had said this I am sure that some of the helpful people on here could have advised :)

My feeling is that such a situation is not my business and I wouldn't do anything about it at all, just like it is not my business how other people behave.

But if I saw someone being neglected or abused by their carer, that would be a different matter and in that case I would report it at reception for them to investigate.

Edited by Scriv