New to NCL - Tips for Solo?

Newbcruiser1

Hi everyone,

I just booked an extremely last minute cruise on the Epic this Sunday! I'm not new to cruising, but am new to NCL. I'm NOT booked in a Studio, so I know I won't have access to the studio lounge other than maybe during the solo meet every evening?

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for NCL in general, or about sailing solo on NCL?

Some specific questions:

- should I be pre-booking my shows or "go with the flow" once I meet some people and hopefully have a group to go with? (It might even be too late to book them being 3 days out!)

- if I show up at the dining room solo, will I be seated alone, or with others? I definitely prefer not to sit alone if possible!

- Is the meet and greet just a "show up" type of thing? I know with RCI you have to pre-register for their meet and mingle

- Is there a best place for sail away?

- Any must-do's on the ship?

Thanks in advance for any tips!!!

Hi everyone,

I just booked an extremely last minute cruise on the Epic this Sunday! I'm not new to cruising, but am new to NCL. I'm NOT booked in a Studio, so I know I won't have access to the studio lounge other than maybe during the solo meet every evening?

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for NCL in general, or about sailing solo on NCL?

Some specific questions:

- should I be pre-booking my shows or "go with the flow" once I meet some people and hopefully have a group to go with? (It might even be too late to book them being 3 days out!)

- if I show up at the dining room solo, will I be seated alone, or with others? I definitely prefer not to sit alone if possible!

- Is the meet and greet just a "show up" type of thing? I know with RCI you have to pre-register for their meet and mingle

You will have a blast!! I went on the Epic last month and loved it.

You won't have access to the lounge except during the nightly get together...It's usually at 5pm but on port days it's sometimes at 6pm.

There's a sign up sheet so you can have dinner and see the shows with other solo passengers. I registered for my shows before I got on the cruise but I ended up re-booking and hanging with the ppl I met.

The first night I ate alone and I always did lunch alone but after that it was dinner with a small group of ppl that I really clicked with. We saw shows, went to tastings (margarita and martini)..But we all still had our alone time.

HTH

Thanks HTH!!

So did everyone just meet at 5pm everyday to make plans for that evening, or were plans made on the first evening for the rest of the cruise? (That might save me from having to

Pull myself in from the pool so early to get ready for dinner! :)

Also - I can't tell on the deck plans - where is the studio lounge entrance anyway? Do they just open the door at 5 (or whatever time the solo gathering is) for those that don't have keycard access?

Any other tips for sailing NCL in general? :) I'm usually a plan-a-holic but given the last minute nature of this trip, it's not giving me quite enough time to do that! Haha!

Thanks HTH!!

So did everyone just meet at 5pm everyday to make plans for that evening, or were plans made on the first evening for the rest of the cruise? (That might save me from having to

Also - I can't tell on the deck plans - where is the studio lounge entrance anyway? Do they just open the door at 5 (or whatever time the solo gathering is) for those that don't have keycard access?

Any other tips for sailing NCL in general? :) I'm usually a plan-a-holic but given the last minute nature of this trip, it's not giving me quite enough time to do that! Haha!

No the solo meeting is at 5pm each day..You make plans for that day and sometimes the next day.

The studio lounge has 2 doors. One on 11 and 1 on 12...If you go on 12, there's a set of stairs leading to the lounge. The door is generally propped open.

Also sign up for your roll call for your trip..You can go to the meet and greet. It's usually on the 1st sea day but it just depends on when it's set up. You will meet some of your fellow cruisers as well as the officers on the ship. Quite a few of the solos attend these meetings as well.

The ship and ppl in general are so laid back that you can't help but enjoy yourself.

Look for the White Hot Party...That's fun (you don't have to wear white..I didn't)

I spent most of my time at the pool at H2O...no kids..>There weren't a ton on my cruise because they're still in school but I still wanted the "adult" area. They do put out a lunch so you don't have to go to the dining room or buffet.

Have a blast!!!

Hi everyone,

Some specific questions:

- should I be pre-booking my shows or "go with the flow" once I meet some people and hopefully have a group to go with? (It might even be too late to book them being 3 days out!) I HIGHLY suggest going with the flow. I ended up changing mine. The Epic also probably (definitely) wont be full next week so even standby you'll probably get into everything

- if I show up at the dining room solo, will I be seated alone, or with others? I definitely prefer not to sit alone if possible! Generally alone, so meeting up with solos is a good idea

- Is the meet and greet just a "show up" type of thing? I know with RCI you have to pre-register for their meet and mingle Yup, just show up in the lounge. Make sure to do it first day...like anything else, groups form immediately and it can be hard to penetrate them on day 3 or 4...and eventually the meet and greets get smaller because people have met friends and are occupied

Happy Sailing :)

Thanks HTH!!

I'm not a plan-a-holic, drives me nuts. If you think you booked short notice, in November I booked on a Thursday night and was on Getaway that Saturday. When those deals come up, grab them. I'm sorry I didn't connect with the solo meeting, I guess I thought it was mostly for younger people. I did however sort of connect to a few others and met randomly and all turned out well.

I know next year, I'm definitely not going to plan too much because the Solo Coordinator will arrange it for the group anyway. Just say the coordinator's name and poof!!! A spot at Rock of Ages, table for 15 at Teppanmaki; 5 table of 6 for Burn the Floor at the Manhattan room. If NCL is reading this, give Crazy Kristin a raise; she had to deal with some real pieces of work on my cruise, lol!!

Edited by maywell